Articles Archive - Updated - Page 5

Posted: 17 years ago
Being a peacemaker is one hell of a job!
Friday, February 23, 2007 10:7:23 IST
He takes shit from producers and directors but still manages to keep cool
< name=frm ="return chksubmit()" =site_search/sitesearch1.asp method=post> </>

How does it feel playing peace maker in 'Ghar Ek Sapnaa'?
Being a peacemaker is one hell of a job. One has to be cool, calm and able to see things from all or at least the maximum possible perspectives. He should also have the ability to look at different points of view and people without prejudice. People should have enough belief in you and agree to come together on a common platform to discuss the issue, only because of you. At the end of it all, they should be made to feel that their point of view is taken care of even if your judgment might favour one person more. Phew! Mortally impossible! But as an actor, it's so easy as it's scripted that way. It's fun to look so cool even if it's only on screen (laughs).

Do you relate to the character?                    
Spare me! I'm just a very ordinary mortal. That wouldn't be an envious position to be in, not to mention that diplomacy and me together is like a tragic love story (laughs). But I must add that I don't regard my undiplomatic nature as a matter of pride. I always promise myself that I shall be patient and think a bit before reacting to something but always remember that promise after I have screwed up things.

You seem to have a long association with Ajai Sinha. What's so special about working with him? He's a rare exception when it comes to my experience with producers and directors. As an actor, you're supposed to be a moron and almost a slave to the producer and director. It's professionally the done thing to take shit that they so proudly dish out at times, quietly 'say' your lines and 'be done' with the scene, pose no questions about decent working conditions and times, and ask no questions about your time being misused. You may be required at three in the afternoon but if they make you sit from nine in the morning, you are supposed to 'lovingly' accept it, in fact, kiss their feet! The list goes on and on. Mr. Sinha allows an actor to have his own mind provided the actor has it. He understands that no two human beings can agree on things all the time and that differences will always be there. In fact that's the dynamics that brings things to life in a creative process and we as a team are supposed to function with only one objective of making a good product and any input in this direction is welcome. Professional differences are not to be carried home. All that shows in his work.

Do you find Hindi films are more challenging and fulfilling than television?
It's not challenging just because it's a film. Films push you slightly up the professional ladder so one would always want to be a part of good films from good banners. At least the way the films are being made is better than the way we've started making serials now, where the only rule is to be able to shoot twenty pages a day!

Are you doing any more films after 'Corporate'?
nI've completed Vishal Inam-
dar's 'Breaking News', am doing Rajat Kapoor's 'Mithya', and a Marathi film with Bipin Nadkarni, an experienced ad film maker. I will also be doing Pradeep Sarkar's next film that is being produced by Yash Raj Films.

For someone who has dabbled with all three mediums, which do you find most enjoyable. Why?  
Television is no fun anymore. It's just working for money. Films are fun because of the glamour attached to it. A good role makes it even better. Stage is altogether a different experience because of the butterflies in the stomach before making an entry on stage. Anything can go wrong right there. The sheer energy that an audience generates when the show is good, their obvious boredom when the show is bad but we still carry on, at times the cell phones ring too often and we just stop the show and ask them to put it off; every show comes up with something new, it's all very exciting. We try our best to overpower but it's the stage that always controls us.

How do you want to see yourself five years from now?
Working in television in a better and improved television programming, a well- established film actor along the lines of Paresh Rawal, Anupam Kher, Naseeru-
ddin Shah, and Om Puri, and also continue with theatre. I also hope to release at least one film that's written and directed by me.

Perfect, tense

Perfectionist Harsh Chhaya is giving a tough time to the cast and crew of Ghar Ek Sapna

Back to Section Stories Posted On Friday, March 09, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Kavita Shyam

Harsh Chhaya
Apparently, Harsh Chhaya is quite a terror on the sets of Ghar Ek Sapna. The actor is giving a tough time to his unit members and the director of the show. He is a perfectionist and throws tantrums about his scenes, costumes, dialogues and payments all the time. Harsh actually calls up his director Ajai Sinha, every few hours, from the sets with various complaints and queries.

Director Ajai Sinha has known Harsh for the past nine years and has worked with him in as many as five shows in the past. Says Ajai, "I get scared every time I get a call from Harsh. For every small or big issue he will call me up and complain. But I can't possibly sort out every issue personally. In fact, many times my assistant directors get annoyed and tell me that Harsh over-reacts about minor issues. Initially, it was very irritating to get such calls but now I am trying to get used to it. I have no other option."

So what makes him behave so haughtily on the sets? "I do call Ajai for anything I think needs to be improved on the sets. Sometimes it works and sometimes Ajai doesn't take my complaints or suggestions. I know many actors feel that I throw tantrums all the time. My attitude has not gone down well with many people. But I feel I've the right to get what I want as a professional," points out Harsh, who is also shooting for Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman besides Ghar Ek Sapna.

And what is it that he complains so much about, so often? "I am finicky about the basic things like the scenes, about getting the dialogues right and so on. Besides, even small nitty-gritties like the colour of socks or the suits have to be taken into consideration," says Harsh.

Has he received flak from his co-actors on the set of Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman? Says Harsh, "Smriti Irani tells me that I am not as difficult as I seem to be, so I keep telling her, watch me for another month and then give your opinion. People who are confident about themselves will not feel insecure about my attitude."

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
Sony feels the heat from Sahara
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   March 10, 2007

Woh Rehne Waali Mehlon Ki,
All is certainly not well with Sony, and to top it all it is feeling the heat from SaharaOne. The latter has managed to fetch higher TRPs (those magical viewership ratings that make or break a show) than Sony, and this speaks volumes on the number games that TV channels indulge in for the top slot.

With Star and Zee leading the roost at No 1 and No 2 respectively, SaharaOne is gradually taking over the No 3 slot from Sony.

Says Kalyan Sundaram, programming head, SaharaOne, "It is all because of good content. We have done it slowly, but surely.

The Rajshri show Woh Rehne Waali Mehlon Ki has been a channel driver for us and remains in the top slot. Now we have two new additions to the list.

Jay and Kinnari Mehta's Solhah Singaarr has shown a good rise in TRPs along with the latest entrant, Ajai Sinha's Ghar... Ek Sapnaa, which is also slowly making an impact."

Wise moves

Solhah Singaarr
SaharaOne folks feel that the going is good for them in the 9 pm to 10 pm slot. "When the third season of Kaun Banega Crorepati began with Shah Rukh Khan, everyone reacted. But we kept quiet and did not reschedule our line-up.

And even in that time slot there has been a marginal rise in ratings for our shows," says Sundaram.

The channel attributes their good showing to their loyal viewers. "We have always had good following for Woh Rehne…, now even Solhah Singarr and Ghar.. Ek Sapnaa are picking up good following," adds Sundaram. "We would like to believe that this will be the scenario for a long time to come now," he adds.

Rescheduling spree

Ghar... Ek Sapnaa
For Sony, which has just axed Anuj Saxena's Kulvaddhu as reported 'Abrupt end for Kulvaddhu' (Hitlist, March 8), the channel's line-up of soaps is being rescheduled for Smriti Z Irani's Viruddh, which begins from March 26 in the 9.30 pm slot.

Thodi Khushi Thode Gham will now be rescheduled to 8.30 pm to replace Kulvaddhu, with Ek Ladki Anjaani Si at 9 pm, Durgesh Nandinii at 10 pm and Jeete Hi Jiske Liye at 10.30 pm.

Presently, it appears that Sony's attempts at daily soaps is not working wonders. Their reality shows like Indian Idol, Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa and most recent Bigg Boss did generate a lot of curiosity and hype but in the long run that doesn't generate revenues the way tear-jerker soaps do.

Says a producer on condition of anoymity, "Sony folks have been interfering a lot with the production houses and there are a lot of squabbles among them. Obviously, all this is having a telling effect on the viewership."

Aamna's show on Sony put off

The Film Farm project which was talked about as Aamna Sharif's big ticket on Sony post Kahiin To Hoga has now been postponed indefinitely.

It is learnt that the cast has already been informed about it. There was also a buzz that post his exit from Kasautii Zindagii Kay, Cezanne Khan was also supposed to be a part of the project. Apparently, it was all just idle talk.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/march/153217.htm

TV actor Ujjwal upset with talent hunt organisers

Ujjwal refuses to comment on the 'saas-bahu' - sagas, which dominate the Indian small screen.

By IANS, [RxPG] New Delhi, March 7 - Small screen actor Ujjwal Rana, who stars in the daily soap 'Ghar Ek Sapna' on Sahara One, believes the organisers of reality TV programmes let a lot of talent fade away once the show is over.

'I feel talent hunt shows provide a great opportunity to wannabes and is an encouraging platform for the common man. Also, the competitors get strong media attention. But once the show is over, the organisers do not do the follow up properly and all those faces fade away. I want to know where those faces are. I really want to know,' Ujjwal told IANS.

Ujjwal himself dislikes participating in reality shows.

'I don't find myself comfortable being a part of a reality show because I don't want to get into nasty situations.'

Before taking up his role as Samman in 'Ghar Ek Sapna', Ujjwal did a cameo in Shaad Ali's 'Saathiya'. He confesses that films are his first preference but at the same time he doesn't want to compromise on quality.

'Offers keep coming, but as I am just a beginner and also not so popular, it is difficult to get meaty roles in Bollywood.'

Ujjwal agreed to work in Ajai Sinha's serial because he gives importance to quality. The director has hit serials like 'Hasratein' and 'Astitva' to his credit.

'There are some names in the industry with whom an actor would like to associate himself. When you work with Sinha, you are sure he would never compromise on quality. He is a progressive director. He goes with the trend and gives you a chance to challenge your own creativity.'

The actor reveals that initially he wasn't very keen to take up acting as a career option.

'I was an athlete and acting was the secondary option for me. I was ashamed of venturing into acting.'

Ujjwal refuses to comment on the 'saas-bahu' - sagas, which dominate the Indian small screen.

'I will not say that the saas-bahu saga has muddled up things but, yes, conditions must change. A revolution has come in films. The audience has grown smarter and they want believable and real things. In the next five years, a change will come in the television industry as well.'

http://www.rxpgnews.com/entertainment/TV-actor-Ujjwal-upset- with-talent-hunt-organisers_18323.shtml

While the rest of the cast sparkles, the lead pair is the one that doesn't pack as much of a punch.

Ghar Ek Sapna, on Sahara One, on the other hand, is following a more plausible track.On the background of a forced marriage in Bihar, the story has now moved to Mumbai with the boy's family refusing to accept the bride, who has been married off by her domineering brothers. Harsh Chhaya as the understated brother of the groom, and Alok Nath as the hapless father bring a note of believability to the drama. This week, the grandmother of the family threatened to starve to death unless the young bahu, packed off back to Bihar, is brought back, dividing the family on the issue. Sadly, while the rest of the cast sparkles, the lead pair is the one that doesn't pack as much of a punch. With their chocolate looks and coy attitudes, the two seem to be producer director Ajai Sinha's only concession to the changing values in TV soaps.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/special/boxpopuli/y2k7/feb/b oxpopuli8.htm

Edited by Shariefah - 17 years ago
Top 5: TV actors/actresses who fainted on the sets…

With more and more daily soaps hitting the small screen, the workload on TV stars is simultaneously on the rise. No surprise then that we keep reading about many actors/actresses fainting on sets day in and day out. Read on for more.

Sayantani Ghosh
Kakul, Ghar Ek Sapna - March 2007
The lead actress of the serial Ghar Ek Sapna on Sahara One, she fainted on the sets due to extreme work pressure.
"I could not bear the physical and mental stress and as a result of this I collapsed. I was also tense since my mother is ill", explained the actress. Presently she is in Kolkata to see her mother.

Gazal Rai
Pooja, Left Right Left – September 2006
Gazal Rai, who plays Pooja in Left Right Left, fainted last year due to low glucose level and as a result had to hospitalised.

Ram Kapoor
Jai Walia, Kasam Se – July 2006
Ram Kapoor fainted on the sets of Kasam Se last year due to his hectic schedule. This also had to do a bit with the fact that his wife Gautami gave birth to child.

Saakshi Tanwar
Parvati, Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki
Actress Saakshi Tanwar had collapsed on the sets two years ago due to excess fatigue.

Ashlesha Sawant
Tara, Saat Phere - August, 2006
Saat Phere's Tara collapsed on the sets last year. She used to work for 14 hours a day. Director Vijay Pande, along with the rest of the unit, helped her to get instant medical attention. Ashlesha was not able to breathe properly.
Considering the rigorous working hours of TV stars, it would be safe to assume that more will be added to the list in the future.
wowwwww...they hav some spirit in them
Create Your Hotlist 
Harsh Chaya's Hollywood Calling!
By Our Correspondent 2007 Bollyvista.com

Harsh Chaya
News is that Harsh Chhaya was apparently asked to act in Anjolina Jolie starrer 'A Mighty Heart' for which she had recently been to India. But we learn Harsh didn't seem too interested and had put down the offer.

When contacted, this is what the man had to say, "I'd rather do some good work for our Indian industry here than do a measly role in an English movie with a top star."

Quiet a modest fellow, especially considering that he didn't talk about it for so long!!

http://www.bollyvista.com/article/a/32/7420/
Posted: 16 years ago
H e's one of the few actors who has served the small screen since its early days. With more than two decades of an acting career, Alok Nath is synonymous with television. In fact, many a debates on the medi- um are incomplete without his name being added. Current projects I'm busy with two shows at the moment. One is Ajai Sinha's Ghar Ek Sapna for Sahara One and the other is Sanskar on DD. I may do another show on Zee TV but the project is still under discussion. I also have a Hollywood film lined up. It commences in June. I can't take more work. There is no time for a new commitment. Film front I think westernisation as a concept has permeated the very soul of our filmmak- ers. Frankly, I see a bleak future for myself in films. TV is my only refuge now. I can't relate to the current movie themes. I'm only close to Sooraj Barjatya's style of filmmaking and would love to be a part of his films always. His films relate to the middle class values that I have been asso- ciated with. Even the TV soaps of today are replete with middle class values and that's why I'm still around. I guess. Instant era Though today's youth bring in a lot of energy and a breath of fresh air to televi- sion, sometimes it's dis- turbing to see some of them looking out for instant fame and money . It's great that they have wider options to choose from.. but that should never be at the cost of profession- al ethics. We should try to inculcate higher levels of professional standards apart from top quality pro- gramming. Behind the camera I don't feel that I'm fit to be a producer or director for the simple reason that I can't handle such taxing jobs. It requires heavy-duty contacts and huge resources to make your own programmes. Trust me, it's a big deal for me. I'm happy about get- ting work. In fact, I should call myself lucky . Creative highs I can't say which is my favourite show..but some are quite close to me like Buniyaad, Tara, Thoda Hai Thode Ki Zaroorat Hai and Astitva. I would say that my journey so far has been a source of great joy. Whenever I look back, I have only good memories. I took up acting as a hobby and then made a successful career out of it.
Posted: 16 years ago

'Creativity can't be treated like instant coffee': Harsh Chhaya

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Harsh Chhaya has been around for 15 years, doing landmark shows (Tara, Swabhimaan, Hassaratein, Astitiva), always picking roles that leave a lasting impression, yet he's devoid of the fame he rightly deserves. He's currently busy with Star's Thoda Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman and Sahara One's Ghar Ek Sapna, the association with the latter being dicey.

News has floated that he wants to part ways with this Ajai Sinha show. It was recently reported that Harsh was giving the production department a tough time due to his constant interference.

Prashant Golecha confronts the actor, who swears by the three Ps - professionalism, perfection and practicality. Here's his candid take straight-from-the-shoulder.

Q. Are you quitting Sahara One's Ghar Ek Sapna?
A.
As of now I intend to quit. I want the channel and the production house to stand by me and negate the statement which has been printed in a tabloid. I have been patiently waiting since three weeks for them to show me in the true light.. As of now I am shooting as I am a professional actor.

Q. Are you enjoying doing Smriti Irani's Thoda Si Zameen….?
A.
I like essaying the negative character, Dushyant. New producers like Smriti are breaking from typical saas-bahu mould, which is good.

Q. So you don't see yourself working with Balaji ever?
A.
That isn't the case. We have been discussing many a projects for a long time but nothing concrete. In fact I have done a cameo in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki.

Q. What kind of roles are you longing for? Your criteria for selection?
A.
I see myself doing good roles in films that interest me. Now-a-days a lot of small budget movies are being made which has scope for professional actors. Talking about the criteria I look for are the idea / concept, my role and of course the production house.

Q. What bugs you the most about today's TV scenario?
A.
The industry has changed for the worse. Creativity can't be treated like instant coffee. Efforts and time aren't being given to get the creative juice flowing. Everything is TRP driven. Directors now-a-days have been reduced to a liaison officer between channel and the production house. The only requisite are those twenty pages needs to be shot in one day, no matter what. Knowingly anything goes to meet the deadline of daily soaps.

Q. "The industry has changed for the worse"
A
. It is becoming difficult for established TV actors to get work. Comment.
It's difficult to get work if you are very particular about what you want to do. I will take up roles only if I relate to it. Then you can fairly be unemployed like me.

Q. Films, theatre or television?
A.
Theatre is great fun. I am doing Kacche Lamhe based on short story written by Gulzar. It is my kind of work and is not at all like a boring art piece. I'm doing television because of the money element, the range of work oscillates between mediocre to bad and sometimes worse. Films have that added glam factor which is good for a professional actor.

Q. Define Harsh Chhaya.
A. I am a live-and-let-live kind of a person. I may appear reserved but once I know the person, I am affable.

Q. Who are your friends in the industry?
A. Kiran Karmarkar, Suraj Thapar, Vineet Shrivastava and Manoj Bajpai.

Q. You have co-starred with your wife, Sunita Sengupta in Zee's Astitva. Why don't we see more of her in any shows these days?
A. She doesn't relate to Hindi soaps at all, she prefers regional shows as they retain quality. Sunita's keeping herself busy with small films.

Q. Define Harsh Chhaya.
A. I am a live-and-let-live kind of a person. I may appear reserved but once I know the person, I am affable.

Q. Who are your friends in the industry?
A. Kiran Karmarkar, Suraj Thapar, Vineet Shrivastava and Manoj Bajpai.

Q. You have co-starred with your wife, Sunita Sengupta in Zee's Astitva. Why don't we see more of her in any shows these days?
A. She doesn't relate to Hindi soaps at all, she prefers regional shows as they retain quality. Sunita's keeping herself busy with small films.