Debate Mansion

arent indians the biggest racist??? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 13

souro

souro

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tina59

well Big Brother issue or not , racism does exist very proiminently in our country . Its funny that we dont hesitate to point fingers on other nations when something like this happens but get offended or go on the defensive when someone points out that it has been happening in our country since ages.

The minute u go to a school to get the application form, what do we see , caste ? , religion ? , I mean does education need all this , there itself descrimination and racism starts . If they are having that question for their records then fine but we all know what they are used for.

racism and descrimination exists in every field and every industry in our country be it movies where certain regions are labelled with particular characterists and made fun of .........like say southindians are shown to be dark haired who speak really bad hindi and make a fool out of thmselves and then punjabi;s are shown to be dumb and foolish , guju's are shown to be misers ...........stuff like that is called descrimination based on regions

I have heard from my parents when they were on a tour visiting temples that certain temples still dont allow low caste people to come inside the main temple , thats descrimination based on caste

the worst is in education , brains are given to every human being why should we have descrimination on that . We have certain percentage for backward , certain for forward, certain % for other . Is this what we want our kids to learn and follow , descrimination based on caste again

we have 33 % reservation for girls , why . If girls and boys are equal then should we have any sort of reservation , isnt this descrimination based on gender .

do we give the same amount of respect for people who work like say servants or people who come to sell small small things , dont we descriminate them based on their status .

conclusion : we have descrimination based on caste , religion, status , color, region , language , gender........ and when we take decisions based on the the very same factors , its called racism and it very much exists in our country . I hope our future generation realise it that human values and behaviour is more important than thier cste , status and color

Well said. Clap Clap Clap

I agree. Discrimination is rampant in our country and exists in various forms. Though we speak of 'unity in diversity' all the time, it can be clearly seen that people from one region/religion doesn't accept the others so well. People from South and East couldn't identify themselves with the North. People from North makes fun of people from South and East because of their not so perfect Hindi, as if they can speak impeccable Tamil, Telugu, Bengali, Oriya, whatever. Then there exists regional bias during selection procedure for jobs and you'll definitely feel lucky if the interviewer is from your state. Even budget allocation and distribution of funds for development suffers from biased decisions and is not done based on priority. While 3-4 regions are given all the money the rest are given step-daughterly treatment. India wants North-Eastern states to stop their demand for an independent country, yet from the time of Independence till now India have done nothing to develop their N-E regions, not even tourism. The list goes on and on and includes every field. I don't know who is to be blamed for this, the people or the politicians, but as long as this continues it will slow down the process of India's progress.

Edited by souro - 13 February 2007 at 8:36am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "arent indians the biggest racist??? (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged

well Big Brother issue or not , racism does exist very proiminently in our country . Its funny that we dont hesitate to point fingers on other nations when something like this happens but get offended or go on the defensive when someone points out that it has been happening in our country since ages.

The minute u go to a school to get the application form, what do we see , caste ? , religion ? , I mean does education need all this ,

Education may not need it but long term social plans need all this to know whi lacks in education and if there is propensity for a religion or caste to abandon education etc...

there itself descrimination and racism starts . If they are having that question for their records then fine but we all know what they are used for.

racism and descrimination exists in every field and every industry in our country be it movies where certain regions are labelled with particular characterists and made fun of .........like say southindians are shown to be dark haired who speak really bad hindi and make a fool out of thmselves and then punjabi;s are shown to be dumb and foolish , guju's are shown to be misers ...........stuff like that is called descrimination based on regions..Humor arises out of somebody's misery ok.. so using certain behavorial patterns to make humor doesnt insult that community.. This is too dark a view I'd say...

I have heard from my parents when they were on a tour visiting temples that certain temples still dont allow low caste people to come inside the main temple , thats descrimination based on caste. Why you think discrimination is bad... only some discriminations are bad.. If I go to a seven star wearing a torn shirt and dirty jeans, muddy sneakers... if they throw me out is that discrimination? Now if I go to mosque without really understanding islam and end up doing something wrong as a result they decide to prevent any non muslims from entering the mosque is that discrimination?

the worst is in education , brains are given to every human being why should we have descrimination on that . We have certain percentage for backward , certain for forward, certain % for other . Is this what we want our kids to learn and follow , descrimination based on caste again Yes, though I dont know how relevant it is today and whether its being followed properly.. but this is or should I say was valid discrimination. to favor lower castes..

we have 33 % reservation for girls , why . If girls and boys are equal then should we have any sort of reservation , isnt this descrimination based on gender .In most parts of India girls are still stereotyped iand suppresed so this is again valid atleast for couple of decades atleast...

do we give the same amount of respect for people who work like say servants or people who come to sell small small things , dont we descriminate them based on their status . Yes... thats true...we dont allow the servant to touch anything in the kitchen...most of the time...

conclusion : we have descrimination based on caste , religion, status , color, region , language , gender........ and when we take decisions based on the the very same factors , its called racism and it very much exists in our country . I hope our future generation realise it that human values and behaviour is more important than thier cste , status and color

Racism is a form of discrimination.. but discrimination is not always bad....Infact why do we resent even racism.. I believe if the whites think they are superior than the browns and blacks.. they are born with that right...Why we should be opposing it. All things remaining equal if there a tie bet' a white and black guy and the judges use the color of the screen as tie-breaker i wouldnt call that wrong either....The only down-side or side-effect of racism has to be only the crimes of humanity..... Bigotry and discrimination is all fine..

I may not like short people, fat people. dark people, people who cant sing, lower caste people... that wont make me racist but a possible bigot...Smile

tina59

IF-Rockerz

tina59

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

The minute u go to a school to get the application form, what do we see , caste ? , religion ? , I mean does education need all this ,

Education may not need it but long term social plans need all this to know whi lacks in education and if there is propensity for a religion or caste to abandon education etc... yes but do ut hink anyone genuinely does it for that purpose , NO

there itself descrimination and racism starts . If they are having that question for their records then fine but we all know what they are used for.

racism and descrimination exists in every field and every industry in our country be it movies where certain regions are labelled with particular characterists and made fun of .........like say southindians are shown to be dark haired who speak really bad hindi and make a fool out of thmselves and then punjabi;s are shown to be dumb and foolish , guju's are shown to be misers ...........stuff like that is called descrimination based on regions..Humor arises out of somebody's misery ok.. so using certain behavorial patterns to make humor doesnt insult that community.. This is too dark a view I'd say...wrong, Humor doesnt arise bcoz of someone's colour or the region they come from . yes it does, its very easy for the ones who arent affected , as tamilian , I feel very offended when they show southindians as dark , who are too bookwormish and foolish and this happens in every movie . Its done bcoz thats what they think southindians are and if any decision  esp mocking or any negative is based on language and color then it is descrimination

I have heard from my parents when they were on a tour visiting temples that certain temples still dont allow low caste people to come inside the main temple , thats descrimination based on caste. Why you think discrimination is bad... only some discriminations are bad.. If I go to a seven star wearing a torn shirt and dirty jeans, muddy sneakers... if they throw me out is that discrimination? Now if I go to mosque without really understanding islam and end up doing something wrong as a result they decide to prevent any non muslims from entering the mosque is that discrimination? If u wear a tonrn dirty jeans and yet have a wallet full of monehy and can communicate well and decent , if they send u out , it is descrimination . What some of the temples do by not allowing certain sections from entering the main temple is absolutely wrong coz again the decision is based on their caste and color when bhakthi and god are for everyone and there should be no descrimination on that

the worst is in education , brains are given to every human being why should we have descrimination on that . We have certain percentage for backward , certain for forward, certain % for other . Is this what we want our kids to learn and follow , descrimination based on caste again Yes, though I dont know how relevant it is today and whether its being followed properly.. but this is or should I say was valid discrimination. to favor lower castes..but its wrong, how are lower caste brains different from higher caste brains , why should anyone favour anyone just coz of their caste . God gave brains to everyone and why should there be descrimination in that when everyone with brains should and could make use of it in education .Again the decision should be based on their marks and percentage and not based on their caste and religion

we have 33 % reservation for girls , why . If girls and boys are equal then should we have any sort of reservation , isnt this descrimination based on gender .In most parts of India girls are still stereotyped iand suppresed so this is again valid atleast for couple of decades atleast...on one hand we shout on top of our voices that we are equal and then we get reservation , the fact that a certain percentage is reserved for women itself means descrimination when in actual we should have no reservation coz we are equal

do we give the same amount of respect for people who work like say servants or people who come to sell small small things , dont we descriminate them based on their status . Yes... thats true...we dont allow the servant to touch anything in the kitchen...most of the time...

Racism is a form of discrimination.. but discrimination is not always bad....Infact why do we resent even racism.. I believe if the whites think they are superior than the browns and blacks.. they are born with that right...Why we should be opposing it. All things remaining equal if there a tie bet' a white and black guy and the judges use the color of the screen as tie-breaker i wouldnt call that wrong either....The only down-side or side-effect of racism has to be only the crimes of humanity..... Bigotry and discrimination is all fine..

I may not like short people, fat people. dark people, people who cant sing, lower caste people... that wont make me racist but a possible bigot...Smile if u take ur decision against a person and favouring another person based on color,language, caste ets, if u  behave differently with a person purely bcoz of the factors discuissed above like caste , color , language, religion, status then thats racism

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Education may not need it but long term social plans need all this to know whi lacks in education and if there is propensity for a religion or caste to abandon education etc... yes but do ut hink anyone genuinely does it for that purpose , NO

racism and descrimination exists in every field and every industry in our country be it movies where certain regions are labelled with particular characterists and made fun of .........like say southindians are shown to be dark haired who speak really bad hindi and make a fool out of thmselves and then punjabi;s are shown to be dumb and foolish , guju's are shown to be misers ...........stuff like that is called descrimination based on regions..Humor arises out of somebody's misery ok.. so using certain behavorial patterns to make humor doesnt insult that community.. This is too dark a view I'd say...wrong, Humor doesnt arise bcoz of someone's colour or the region they come from . yes it does, its very easy for the ones who arent affected , as tamilian , I feel very offended when they show southindians as dark , who are too bookwormish and foolish and this happens in every movie . Its done bcoz thats what they think southindians are and if any decision  esp mocking or any negative is based on language and color then it is descrimination ....Come on humor includes culture caricature world around... if you talking about the reader's digest humor in uniform its just one aspect of it.. If somebody falls down stepping on banana skin everybody laughs that is humor - now you saying we shouldnt.. south indians have certain funny things which makes everyone laugh why should you take offence..(Incidentally i am a south indian)...

I have heard from my parents when they were on a tour visiting temples that certain temples still dont allow low caste people to come inside the main temple , thats descrimination based on caste. Why you think discrimination is bad... only some discriminations are bad.. If I go to a seven star wearing a torn shirt and dirty jeans, muddy sneakers... if they throw me out is that discrimination? Now if I go to mosque without really understanding islam and end up doing something wrong as a result they decide to prevent any non muslims from entering the mosque is that discrimination? If u wear a tonrn dirty jeans and yet have a wallet full of monehy and can communicate well and decent , if they send u out , it is descrimination no many of the place follow strict dress codes and I dont think thats discrimination. What some of the temples do by not allowing certain sections from entering the main temple is absolutely wrong coz again the decision is based on their caste and color when bhakthi and god are for everyone and there should be no descrimination on that... the religious order believed in the caste system and its been customary.. without going into the rights and wrongs I feel its not really important... but if you hit somebody on that ground it gathers importance...Smile

the worst is in education , brains are given to every human being why should we have descrimination on that . We have certain percentage for backward , certain for forward, certain % for other . Is this what we want our kids to learn and follow , descrimination based on caste again Yes, though I dont know how relevant it is today and whether its being followed properly.. but this is or should I say was valid discrimination. to favor lower castes..but its wrong, how are lower caste brains different from higher caste brains , why should anyone favour anyone just coz of their caste . God gave brains to everyone and why should there be descrimination in that when everyone with brains should and could make use of it in education .Again the decision should be based on their marks and percentage and not based on their caste and religion Its nothing to do with brains but everything to do with opportunities.. because of suppressed social status their opportunities have been limited... How many times have you invited your kaamwali to sit next to at the dinner/lunch table just out of gratefulness.. havent you told her to sit in one corner in the kitchen...thats how the society has been functioning - trying to get  these in teh main-stream requires additional considerations.. which is called affirmative action and which is used for minorities in the USA as well..US has reservation..Smile

we have 33 % reservation for girls , why . If girls and boys are equal then should we have any sort of reservation , isnt this descrimination based on gender .In most parts of India girls are still stereotyped iand suppresed so this is again valid atleast for couple of decades atleast...on one hand we shout on top of our voices that we are equal and then we get reservation , the fact that a certain percentage is reserved for women itself means descrimination when in actual we should have no reservation coz we are equal Once almost ALL women achieve that "equality" the reservations will go away..Smile

I may not like short people, fat people. dark people, people who cant sing, lower caste people... that wont make me racist but a possible bigot...Smile if u take ur decision against a person and favouring another person based on color,language, caste ets, if u  behave differently with a person purely bcoz of the factors discuissed above like caste , color , language, religion, status then thats racism No I dont consider bias/bigotry as racism.. though racism does involve either...Smile

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged

i think we're getting the terminology wrong here.

yes, we do have discrimination. too bad we have it in India, but we do have it in the west too. most of the examples people have come up with here have a western counterpart too. quotas? well, colleges here try to admit a diverse pool of students. it's not official but the end result is a kind of quota where admission is not necessarily merit-based.

still, how do we go from discrimination to racism? racism is a rather strong term isnt it? and isnt it generally applied to things where the skin color comes in?

apart from good/ bad humor that we make about people of other colors, how are we really bigger racists? have we gone around killing and persecuting people ala Ku-Klux Klan just because they are blacks? bigger racists?

EcliPSe_2010

Goldie

EcliPSe_2010

Posted: 18 February 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged
HK
Well written post and to the point. I am an Indian born and raised in the
states and I for one am not in any sort of way, form or shape supporting
Shilpa Shetty. Yes, she did put fairness cream on her face. (Application of
Bleach on the skin serves two purposes: to camouflage hair and adds
fairness to the skin by lightening the skin).   Why would
one do that on national tv in front of millions of veiwers? This action of
hers just makes me think the motive of the tv show and hers was the
same. Basically any type of publicity is considered good publicity in her
business. Her outcome was that she and the tv channel both got veiwers
tuned in and she got an additional bonus...She was on every tv channel
and on everyones mouth as the topic of the day. So, I have absolutely no
respect for this Indian woman who basically let herself be used in this way
by the channel which happens to be owned by the British, only so she can
get some ad contracts and film contracts. (As Indian woman, I find it so
sad that I had to witness this-The fairness cream act) I mean what does
that say about an Indian womans self-esteem? Also, if one looks at the
bollywood industry today or the Indian fashion industry, the
fair&beautiful ideal is prevalent. What is so ironic is that I have been a
witness to alot of Indian girls in college in the states using this cream to
be fair and Beautiful--they were studying in law, drs.--their mothers
were worried about their complexions and kind of muscled them into
using it--unbelievable---And the Indian guys in the states, most of them
want a fair skinned girl ala ash. rai. If this is not inherent racism in our
culture (even when the children are born away from the Homeland) then
what is?

My thoughts not meant ot offend anyone..
AP

Edited by aperture - 20 February 2007 at 8:38am

EcliPSe_2010

Goldie

EcliPSe_2010

Posted: 18 February 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by egghatcher

you took a very lopsided aperture on shilpa
she is as you attest to , an actress , whether she is in front of camera or
behind it... and on that reality show she was CONSTANTLY IN FRONT OF
CAMERA so she couldnt help if viewers saw her applying beautifying
cream on her face ... i am assuming you dont use any additives to
beautify yourself then.. well fine.... you are like me .... the inner beauty
being greater than external corpulence conditioning etc .... But wearing a
makeup has been the prerogative of women from time immemorial and
none of them were branded as racist for doing just that as far as my
knowledge and reading of world history goes..
Shilpa does have a little squint in her eye .... did she ever look at you and
seemed like she wasnt acknowleding your presence due to that small
occular defect and is that why you vent so much on poor sweet Shilpa? [:
P] Tongue and again like you my disclaimer of not offending you stands here
ok
cheers

I guess u didn't thoroughly read my post. Shilpa Shetty and Big Brother,
both achieved their motives. BB had the highest veiwership and Shilpa
Shetty got her ad and film contracts. And the serious issue of racism was
used and abused for cheap commercial means-in this case the end result
being the motive. Personally, have nothing against Shilpa Shetty, have no
interest in her, bt since she is in the public eye-well she knows what the
game is all about.
AP

Edited by aperture - 18 February 2007 at 9:20pm

EcliPSe_2010

Goldie

EcliPSe_2010

Posted: 18 February 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by aperture

you
took a very lopsided aperture on shilpa she is as you attest to , an actress
, whether she is in front of camera or behind it... and on that reality show
she was CONSTANTLY IN FRONT OF CAMERA so she couldnt help if
viewers saw her applying beautifying cream on her face ... i am assuming
you dont use any additives to beautify yourself then.. well fine.... you are
like me .... the inner beauty being greater than external corpulence
conditioning etc .... But wearing a makeup has been the prerogative of
women from time immemorial and none of them were branded as racist
for doing just that as far as my knowledge and reading of world history
goes.. Shilpa does have a little squint in her eye .... did she ever look at
you and seemed like she wasnt acknowleding your presence due to that
small occular defect and is that why you vent so much on poor sweet
Shilpa? [: P] Tongue and again like you my disclaimer of not offending you
stands here ok cheers
I guess u didn't thoroughly read my post.
Shilpa Shetty and Big Brother, both achieved their motives. BB had the
highest veiwership and Shilpa Shetty got her ad and film contracts. And
the serious issue of racism was used and abused for cheap commercial
means. AP
that is a far fetched leap of logic ( sometimes also
called fallacious leaps and bounds0 from you when you state
unequivocally that she allowed herself to be a target of racism for
commercial gains ... I percieve the flip side to it as much more relevant
...... She stood her ground against some of the meanest cats in the show
and did so with her head held high and with grace ... And truly it is
because of upstanding person( never mind her star status ) like Shilpa
Shetty that the entire hibernating nation of england awoke to their hour
of shame and made quick reparations through the media

if only you knew how effectively the british themselves came down with
a heavy scimitar upon the show and the miscreants ..Hope you will see
the error in your assertions at least now ..if not then i have indulged in
exercise in futility and made you an unwilling partner in it for which i
apologise

--BB is a third rate tv show. I am not an audience of the show but since
this Shilpa Shetty issue, all the channels aired this stry. I was born and
raised in a country where the likes of
MLK marched for civil libertires(ppl. had to fight for their rights)--I know
what racism is like firsthand....Its a serious issue.
It is indeed sad to see this serious issue, today in 2007, being
reduced to a pawn in the game of cheap commercialism on a third rate tv
show -- have no sympaty at all for the participant.

Edited by aperture - 19 February 2007 at 3:10pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top