Debate Mansion

   

Winners of Debating Championship V (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Joined: 25 January 2006

Posts: 9942

Posted: 16 January 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged
Well I need to give some clarification here........

Saniya aka Evilgenious had asked me the meaning of the statement on which the debate was to be held before debate even started.... and I just explained her in a simplified way with an example of indo pak separation.... It all happened before the debate just to explain the meaning of the statement in a simplified way....

I have never in no way helped her in debate otherwise....and she has fought the debate completely on her strengths... i wl give my views on the debate later

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Winners of Debating Championship V (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Evilgenius_S.S

IF-Dazzler

Evilgenius_S.S

Joined: 16 June 2005

Posts: 2604

Posted: 17 January 2007 at 4:47am | IP Logged

Originally posted by MNMS

Important Note from Organizers:

In debating championships, consultation with any outside party (non-team member) is generally NOT promoted. All the previouse DCs are held with participants coordinating WITHIN the team.

Since it wasn't clearly indicated in the rules, we will keep the judgement unchanged. Evilgenius and Ash_sabhihey are the runner up as Evilgenius was not aware of this assumption. Smile

But this is to clarify that from the NEXT DC, i.e. DC VI, It will be STRICTLY PROHIBITED to consult any member outside their team.

Cheers.

T. and MNMS

But what if....there's some communication problem between the team members??leading to this situation that u can't even get 2 discuss the debatable topic even few days before the debate starts?

Is it really that bad to get to understand some things which you r confused about?Clearing up your confusion....with someone else..........is not .......??...

I really was not aware of this thing k atleast u cannot clear up your confusion with others...outisde the team...as this was not stated in the rules,so i went ahead with it....!! Confused

I hope all u respected judges and others r not blaming /or getting me wrong..!! and also..the Judges not repenting on their decision.



Edited by Evilgenius_S.S - 17 January 2007 at 4:48am

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Joined: 25 January 2006

Posts: 9942

Posted: 17 January 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged
Ok I am giving my views on the debate......

I feel to start with Against team had a natural intial advantage in the topic as a general acceptance. However as the debate progressed they made it easier for the for team to win.......

Through out the debate the discussion was only on morality or immorality of means and its justification with morality or immorality of end to be achieved..... However all the debaters missed a big point...... it was good that for team missed it....... but against team left the biggest and strongest point in their debate i.e.

The side effects of using the wrong means eventhough u achieve the end.

By using the wrong means, you may achieve your moral end but in the meanwhile you forget that how many people or nature or something has been really and adversely affected due to those means, which you had never expected to happen.........
one of the debaters used the example of a boy stealing the bread for a sister who is seriously ill..... if the boy steals and is caught his sister is surely gonna die..... whereas if he works and can feed her half stomach everyday, still she will be able to live for longer time....... it was a simple contention of the side effects, which could make the against team win.......

For team: For team came in with very good points and with participation of all...... however there were lots of problems. The debaters in the team were contradicting their partner's points. While one person gave iraq's example in favour of their team as they achieved the end of executing the evil and means were justified.... the other member said that end was immoral and hence the means were not justified......

While someone gave the example of grand parties u enjoy and dont care how the person achieved the money..... the other person said that gaining money is not justified end...... hence wrong means for this can not be justified.....

Also for team said that wrong means are justified for the best of the masses...... However the only examples they could provide for this were mythological..... rest were all the examples only for individual benefits......

I think the for team used the correct examples but stressed on the morality or immorality of means and ends rather than specifying the other worst effects of those means...... thats where they lacked.......

ex: In the Indo-pak ex, The means to get independence used by Gandhi and Jinah was the partition.....

here partition was bad means
Independence was good end
but we recd the after effects in the form of some enmity in the two countries and no peace......
so the means were not justified in this case even to achieve a better end like independence Big smile

Thanks
Abhi Big smile

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Joined: 01 June 2004

Posts: 6832

Posted: 17 January 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Evilgenius_S.S

Originally posted by MNMS

Important Note from Organizers:

In debating championships, consultation with any outside party (non-team member) is generally NOT promoted. All the previouse DCs are held with participants coordinating WITHIN the team.

Since it wasn't clearly indicated in the rules, we will keep the judgement unchanged. Evilgenius and Ash_sabhihey are the runner up as Evilgenius was not aware of this assumption. Smile

But this is to clarify that from the NEXT DC, i.e. DC VI, It will be STRICTLY PROHIBITED to consult any member outside their team.

Cheers.

T. and MNMS

But what if....there's some communication problem between the team members??leading to this situation that u can't even get 2 discuss the debatable topic even few days before the debate starts?

Is it really that bad to get to understand some things which you r confused about?Clearing up your confusion....with someone else..........is not .......??...

I really was not aware of this thing k atleast u cannot clear up your confusion with others...outisde the team...as this was not stated in the rules,so i went ahead with it....!! Confused

I hope all u respected judges and others r not blaming /or getting me wrong..!! and also..the Judges not repenting on their decision.

If your team mates don't contact you, make sure the organizers know about it asap. For any confusions related to the topic also you can contact the organizers.

Yes, I agree it wasn't clearly stipulated in the rules, so anyone can make the same mistake. Don't worry about it. The judges' decisions will not be reversed.

SmarterDesiKid

IF-Sizzlerz

SmarterDesiKid

Joined: 13 January 2006

Posts: 15365

Posted: 17 January 2007 at 2:56pm | IP Logged
The day was wrong to Cry
I had no idea it was gonna be on those days, until Sania PMed me...

SHouldn't the Contestants be given a notice or anything on which day it would be on?? Ouch

Evilgenius_S.S

IF-Dazzler

Evilgenius_S.S

Joined: 16 June 2005

Posts: 2604

Posted: 17 January 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by SmarterDesiKid

The day was wrong to Cry
I had no idea it was gonna be on those days, until Sania PMed me...

SHouldn't the Contestants be given a notice or anything on which day it would be on?? Ouch

Dont wrry Kiddoo.............!U should b proud of yur team..k aftr all dere' sum winner frm it.......!!!LOLWink

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Joined: 15 December 2005

Posts: 1989

Posted: 18 January 2007 at 2:46am | IP Logged

Originally posted by SmarterDesiKid

The day was wrong to Cry
I had no idea it was gonna be on those days, until Sania PMed me...

SHouldn't the Contestants be given a notice or anything on which day it would be on?? Ouch

All of the contestants were PMed by me which included the thread of the debate... and that was 3 DAYS BEFORE THE DC! Stern Smile

 In the DC V announcement thread [mid December], Mythili and I were contantly telling you that it will take place in 2nd week of January! Refer the thread please

 HOW ELSE organizers notify the participants? Stern Smile Is there any other means left, Please educate me!

Evilgenius_S.S

IF-Dazzler

Evilgenius_S.S

Joined: 16 June 2005

Posts: 2604

Posted: 18 January 2007 at 5:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by MNMS

All of the contestants were PMed by me which included the thread of the debate... and that was 3 DAYS BEFORE THE DC! Stern Smile

 In the DC V announcement thread [mid December], Mythili and I were contantly telling you that it will take place in 2nd week of January! Refer the thread please

 HOW ELSE organizers notify the participants? Stern Smile Is there any other means left, Please educate me!

That i accept!!!! U DM organizer guys were really very helpful...!! and..........you people really informed us.abt that day/time..!! Its only our negigence .that we didn''t get to the that thread on time.....because if it'd beeen organizer's fault or whatever..then i think none's  participation wud have taken place.............so i think we'r at fault.............Embarrassed

Kidddo,,,.......got that ?...............maybe u were 2 buzy 2 keep track..........dnt repent..its ok nowEmbarrassed Atleast u participated..and said wahtver u could at that time...thats da spirit.....!!

Spirit of the game is not to win..just............Its about Participation!Clap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Taking digs, a debating technique?

2

persistence 12 678 16 July 2007 at 10:58pm
By Modesty
Rules & Tips for Debating

2

Aparna_BD 11 2755 03 December 2006 at 12:17pm
By MrsKaranGrover
Fact debating or Hypothesis debating? MNMS 2 362 30 August 2006 at 11:20pm
By OnlyHope
Debating CuteFairy91 4 322 28 July 2006 at 8:49pm
By Dezo
Debating Quote of the week

2

samie 11 828 28 April 2006 at 7:55am
By samie

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

 

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.