Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ash_sabihey thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Thank-you!

Well,I was waiting for this day since I sent a PM to Maryam for the Debate participation.It is the first time I had participated in a Debate at IF and it just feels awesome to be apart of it.Since days,I was thinking that what would I say if I'd be one of the winners.πŸ˜†,so finally I have a long list but right now I feel speechless because it is one of my greatest achievement-truly...

Starting over,I'd first like to thank God Who has always been graceful and merciful.Then,I'd to give a BIG thanks to my family who has supported me in every-literally every aspect.Then,there is a special person-my Chacha without whom I don't think so I'd have achieved anything.After this,my team members.Yo!We WON it!πŸ‘,because I believe in teamwork.I'd like to thank my opponent team for giving me a tough competition.😊.And yeah,thanks Mythili Kiran,Maryam and Tanaaz for selecting me as one of the participants.Hmm..how can I forget Encarta encyclopedia..thanks!πŸ˜†.

I think its gettin Debate itself,so in a nutshell,you made my day!😊

~Sabihey~

Evilgenius_S.Sβ„’ thumbnail
Originally posted by: MNMS

Runner-up of DC V: Evilgenius_S.S and Ash_sabiheyπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

πŸ˜ƒ---I Just can't express my feelings ....!!! This really means alot to me..!! having won..( as a runner-up..though) this Debate-Championship..is in itself..a big thing for me!! Because........This is the very very first time that i took part in any debate competition..in DM..!! So..this is very special for me!

I thank..all the respected Judges for taking out time for sucha  hard decision..i mean going through all the arguments and then deciding the winners..isn't an easy task...so...Thanks to U all!!😊

I accept that,my other team members were.....😑But some problem was there..mainly of communication...so...that's why it all happened!But still..m thankful...to Sunny(SmarterdesiKid)and....Naughty_nice for doing all what they can in that much short time..😳 

And Last but not the Least...m thankful to that person....who helped me all that he could in giving me a clear picture of what xactly i can really put forward as my arguments and examples....!!!I'd not have been able to do that remarkable opening(as complimented by one of the judges) if He wudn't  have been there for me.....----Thanksalot....Abhi..!😊

And Congratss to 'the For team'..for winning!! ur team's effort was commendable!!! And specially to ash_Sabihey...!!u all were awesum!😊

Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: kabhi_21

I hope the response thread for members is open soon with the link to the debate thread πŸ˜ƒ

Feel free to post your response here itself.

Link: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/508133

MNMS thumbnail
Important Note from Organizers:

In debating championships, consultation with any outside party (non-team member) is generally NOT promoted. All the previouse DCs are held with participants coordinating WITHIN the team.

Since it wasn't clearly indicated in the rules, we will keep the judgement unchanged. Evilgenius and Ash_sabhihey are the runner up as Evilgenius was not aware of this assumption. 😊

But this is to clarify that from the NEXT DC, i.e. DC VI, It will be STRICTLY PROHIBITED to consult any member outside their team.

Cheers.

T. and MNMS Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago
SmarterDesiKid thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Congrats to the winners!!!! πŸ‘
SmarterDesiKid thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Evilgenius_S.Sβ„’

I accept that,my other team members were.....😑

But some problem was there..mainly of communication...so...that's why it all happened!But still..m thankful...to Sunny(SmarterdesiKid)and....Naughty_nice for doing all what they can in that much short time..😳 

Sorry😭

kabhi_21 thumbnail
Well I need to give some clarification here........

Saniya aka Evilgenious had asked me the meaning of the statement on which the debate was to be held before debate even started.... and I just explained her in a simplified way with an example of indo pak separation.... It all happened before the debate just to explain the meaning of the statement in a simplified way....

I have never in no way helped her in debate otherwise....and she has fought the debate completely on her strengths... i wl give my views on the debate later
Evilgenius_S.Sβ„’ thumbnail

Originally posted by: MNMS

Important Note from Organizers:

In debating championships, consultation with any outside party (non-team member) is generally NOT promoted. All the previouse DCs are held with participants coordinating WITHIN the team.

Since it wasn't clearly indicated in the rules, we will keep the judgement unchanged. Evilgenius and Ash_sabhihey are the runner up as Evilgenius was not aware of this assumption. 😊

But this is to clarify that from the NEXT DC, i.e. DC VI, It will be STRICTLY PROHIBITED to consult any member outside their team.

Cheers.

T. and MNMS

But what if....there's some communication problem between the team members??leading to this situation that u can't even get 2 discuss the debatable topic even few days before the debate starts?

Is it really that bad to get to understand some things which you r confused about?Clearing up your confusion....with someone else..........is not .......??...

I really was not aware of this thing k atleast u cannot clear up your confusion with others...outisde the team...as this was not stated in the rules,so i went ahead with it....!! πŸ˜•

I hope all u respected judges and others r not blaming /or getting me wrong..!! and also..the Judges not repenting on their decision.

Edited by Evilgenius_S.Sβ„’ - 17 years ago
kabhi_21 thumbnail
Ok I am giving my views on the debate......

I feel to start with Against team had a natural intial advantage in the topic as a general acceptance. However as the debate progressed they made it easier for the for team to win.......

Through out the debate the discussion was only on morality or immorality of means and its justification with morality or immorality of end to be achieved..... However all the debaters missed a big point...... it was good that for team missed it....... but against team left the biggest and strongest point in their debate i.e.

The side effects of using the wrong means eventhough u achieve the end.

By using the wrong means, you may achieve your moral end but in the meanwhile you forget that how many people or nature or something has been really and adversely affected due to those means, which you had never expected to happen.........
one of the debaters used the example of a boy stealing the bread for a sister who is seriously ill..... if the boy steals and is caught his sister is surely gonna die..... whereas if he works and can feed her half stomach everyday, still she will be able to live for longer time....... it was a simple contention of the side effects, which could make the against team win.......

For team: For team came in with very good points and with participation of all...... however there were lots of problems. The debaters in the team were contradicting their partner's points. While one person gave iraq's example in favour of their team as they achieved the end of executing the evil and means were justified.... the other member said that end was immoral and hence the means were not justified......

While someone gave the example of grand parties u enjoy and dont care how the person achieved the money..... the other person said that gaining money is not justified end...... hence wrong means for this can not be justified.....

Also for team said that wrong means are justified for the best of the masses...... However the only examples they could provide for this were mythological..... rest were all the examples only for individual benefits......

I think the for team used the correct examples but stressed on the morality or immorality of means and ends rather than specifying the other worst effects of those means...... thats where they lacked.......

ex: In the Indo-pak ex, The means to get independence used by Gandhi and Jinah was the partition.....

here partition was bad means
Independence was good end
but we recd the after effects in the form of some enmity in the two countries and no peace......
so the means were not justified in this case even to achieve a better end like independence πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks
Abhi πŸ˜ƒ
Morgoth thumbnail
Originally posted by: Evilgenius_S.Sβ„’

But what if....there's some communication problem between the team members??leading to this situation that u can't even get 2 discuss the debatable topic even few days before the debate starts?

Is it really that bad to get to understand some things which you r confused about?Clearing up your confusion....with someone else..........is not .......??...

I really was not aware of this thing k atleast u cannot clear up your confusion with others...outisde the team...as this was not stated in the rules,so i went ahead with it....!! πŸ˜•

I hope all u respected judges and others r not blaming /or getting me wrong..!! and also..the Judges not repenting on their decision.

If your team mates don't contact you, make sure the organizers know about it asap. For any confusions related to the topic also you can contact the organizers.

Yes, I agree it wasn't clearly stipulated in the rules, so anyone can make the same mistake. Don't worry about it. The judges' decisions will not be reversed.