Debate Mansion

Should SMOKING be banned in Indian Cinema

|iami5o4| thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Hello everyone. Well, as you may have heard or haven't heard~!
The indian govt. is planning to ban smoking in Indian Cinema.... 👏

I actually read an article regarding all of this in this newspaper my parents always read and was just wondering what you all would say about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday June 18, 02:46 PM

Smoking ban divides Bollywood

MUMBAI (AFP) - An Indian government ban on screen smoking has divided Bollywood with superstar Shah Rukh Khan putting his weight behind the ban and other top actors saying it is a curb on creativity.

More than 2,000 schoolchildren, meanwhile, took to the streets of India's entertainment capital of Mumbai Friday to support the ban imposed by India from October 2, saying it encouraged cigarette smoking among vulnerable youngsters.

"I agree with the government decision to ban smoking on the big screen," said Khan, Bollywood's most powerful box office draw.

"The government must have put some thought into it when it took the decision."

But while Khan, who has portrayed numerous cigarette-smoking characters in his career spanning more than decade, supported the ban, many others oppose it.

"I feel Bollywood is being made a scapegoat," said actor John Abraham, adding that he believed the industry's creativity will be curbed.

"If one makes a film on gangsters ... you dont expect them not to smoke in the film," he said.

"The intentions are honourable but I feel the objectivity will be lost because no one smokes a cigarette just because some hero or a heroine is lighting a cigarette on the big screen."

Actor Aamir Khan said the ban would make it difficult to create a negative character on the screen.

"Sometimes smoking reflects the personality of the character and if a ban comes into effect it will be difficult to create negativity. (It may) even restrict an actor's creativity," he said.

Others were more scathing.

"Tomorrow the government can come with a ban on gun fights saying it creates law and order problem. I dont think it is right to take such decisions," said veteran actor and former censor board chief Anupam Kher.

Some of Bollywood's heroines however supported the ban.

"I genuinely feel whatever we do in films, people are influenced," said popular actress Kareena Kapoor.

"It impacts the youth as they copy actors to certain extent. So, I think smoking in films is wrong and should be banned."

A section of Bollywood felt that the government should target the tobacco industry rather than restrict the film industry.

"The ban is uncalled for as I feel people will anyway smoke. The ban is a joke," added director Mahesh Bhatt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, What do you say? Will this smoking ban be for the better 👍🏼 of Indian Cinema or for the worst 👎🏼? Your views please....!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

N@T@$H@ thumbnail
nothing wud happen by banning smoking in india or any where and mostly in asia because the asian people dont follow the rulz😡
helmet12 thumbnail

Well, ethics should be made for betterment of mankind, not for degrading that.

wanna ban smoking in society, close all the cigarete companies, just by banning smoking in films is nothing but sheer stupidity.

AASHISH_IN thumbnail

Originally posted by: N@T@$H@

nothing wud happen by banning smoking in india or any where and mostly in asia because the asian people dont follow the rulz😡

LOL😆! I agree with ur comments!

heart*beat thumbnail
lol agree with u....
i dont think smoking should be banned from films.....
Like salman said in an interview...in baazigar srk threw shilpa off the roof of a building...did anyone else copy him in real life?? no!
To reduce smoking they should just ban tobacca altogether.....
i think ram gopal varma's cinema and movies are gonna be affected the most from this ban......😆😆