Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

   

Rewriting History? (Page 7)

mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Joined: 25 September 2005
Posts: 11613

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

 
I feel really sorry for children born in this world. 

QT, Why so depressed? With parents like us how can children of tomorrow fail?LOL 



Maayaa..   (Abhishek Bachchan calling his wife maya in KANK style Wink)
 OuchOuchOuch parents like me!! Now I am furthermore scared CryCryCry

LOLLOLLOL

It is not that there were no wars while we were growing up, but don;t you think the poylitics is getting uglier by the day.  On a day to day basis, kids may be very fine.  In fact, they have google search engines, they have Ipods, they have forums and what not!  But where is the peace? 
Not depressed, but I always speculate and feel a bit sorry for the new generation.  I am delighted not having to study the past 20 years as history in my textbook Big smile



Edited by mermaid_QT - 05 January 2007 at 7:20am
swordfishh IF-Dazzler
swordfishh
swordfishh

Joined: 28 April 2005
Posts: 3024

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 7:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by swordfishh

Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by swordfishh

While the ones who attack India live in India or close by

Yahi to rona hai. Some people still don't trust their fellow Indians and plot against them for personal gain.

Exactly... And thats why its better to shove certain historical facts under the blanket...

How can facts be just shoved unders something? Truth can never be hidden. Do you think that people are bombing left and right because of some lame history. NO...they are doing ti for personal gain because they are influenced by the rich and mighty and provide these poor youth with money to run their family and inreturn they bomb their fellow brothers. Our issue is poverty not history.

Few people who are doing it might be doing it for personal gain... But many others are doing it because they are brainwashed.... Plain brainwashed... To fight in the name of religion....

Look at stats.... Majority of the youth who get mislead in the name of religion are the younger ones aged 14-17... These are the ones who are most gullible to brainwashing... Shoving it under the blanket does not mean denying tht certain things ever happened... Its just better not to mention such things to young children... What is called History is not actually History... The Hindu-Muslim friction is still alive...far from being History...In such a situation... portraying Muslim rulers as villains to young kids will only fuel the fire...

Bottomline: I am just against the teaching of such controversial historical "facts" to young kids. These things can be left for Pre University and University students. Young kids wont learn much from it... Other than perhaps developing an animosity towards the other religion...

bhilwara Senior Member
bhilwara
bhilwara

Joined: 21 July 2006
Posts: 215

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by swordfishh

I wont mention names... But incidents...

The Mumbai blasts of 1993 marked the beginning of terror attacks... The Parliament Bombing in 2000... All the serial blasts in Mumbai... The blast at the American Centre at Kolkata...The accused involved are all Indian citizens... Few of them have turned out to be Pakistani immigrants... But most have not surprisingly produced Indian passports... Abu Salem and Monica Bedi are Indians too...

But if we had history written your way, all of those events we aren't supposed to remember it and could have been wiped out from our texts and then what would we have to look at and take lesson from? By providing these examples you just proved that if we don't learn anything from our history then we are doomed to repeat it! The point is, human brain is capable enough to distinguish between what is right and what is wrong to put things in perspective for historical events, so why not throw things out at them and trust them to judge it? Are you implying that few years down the road we should earse the memories of all the tragedies you just mentioned? When you say, past history is distorted; you are already taking a stance on it just like everybody else.

Btw, all investigations into all the terror attacks against India from '93 Mumbai Blasts have lead towards just one source. This source in fact provides all logistics, financial succor and in even some cases harbors and nurtures the culprits. Please explain how wiping out the history about Mahmud Ghori and Genghis Khan in India would prevent Pakistan alter the course of their foreign policy towards India?

 

sareg IF-Dazzler
sareg
sareg

Joined: 10 January 2006
Posts: 3976

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

 
I feel really sorry for children born in this world. 

QT, Why so depressed? With parents like us how can children of tomorrow fail?LOL 



Maayaa..   (Abhishek Bachchan calling his wife maya in KANK style Wink)
 OuchOuchOuch parents like me!! Now I am furthermore scared CryCryCry

LOLLOLLOL

It is not that there were no wars while we were growing up, but don;t you think the poylitics is getting uglier by the day.  On a day to day basis, kids may be very fine.  In fact, they have google search engines, they have Ipods, they have forums and what not!  But where is the peace? 
Not depressed, but I always speculate and feel a bit sorry for the new generation.  I am delighted not having to study the past 20 years as history in my textbook Big smile

Peace can only be acheived when all of us understand what mistakes we made in the past, not repeat them, stay on vigil, do not live in fear of an uncoming calamity.

The past 20 years of Indian history we have learnt an important lesson, hopefully the when the newer generation looks at it, they say, What kind of @$#!@ let this situation occur and change course of our country. Unless they read about it, they would not, for that, they need to have it in their History courseWink

mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Joined: 25 September 2005
Posts: 11613

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 9:19am | IP Logged
Sareg, I rarely go against ur opinion, as i don;t like to be wrong either Wink .. yet, I am going back to my earlier post, in response to your statement of LEARNING from history. We have learnt NOTHING from the crusades. we have learnt nothing from our wars. we have learnt nothing from the lack of unity between hindu kings. we pretend that we have learnt. Since our generation learnt no lesson even after aceing history tests, neither will the next generations to come.
sareg IF-Dazzler
sareg
sareg

Joined: 10 January 2006
Posts: 3976

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Sareg, I rarely go against ur opinion, as i don;t like to be wrong either Wink .. yet, I am going back to my earlier post, in response to your statement of LEARNING from history. We have learnt NOTHING from the crusades. we have learnt nothing from our wars. we have learnt nothing from the lack of unity between hindu kings. we pretend that we have learnt. Since our generation learnt no lesson even after aceing history tests, neither will the next generations to come.

If you look at our history books, they have been written from a political correct standpoint. the number of deaths is a footnote, the backstabbing always takes a invisible mode in our history texts, why?

We have always written our texts such that they do not hurt someone's feelings, When I read about Aurangzeb, I keep on wondering, ok, he is the emperor, he is not going anywhere else, his wealth is not going anywhere, what is his motive of suppressing others?

mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Joined: 25 September 2005
Posts: 11613

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged
It is the greed Sareg. back then we had Aurangzeb. Now we have our own politicians.

In Maharashtrian text books, my elder brother learnt about Shivaji maharaj and his freedom struggle against Mughal invasion. My friend from calcutta learnt that Shivaji was a thief or equivalent. I am sure there will be some who learnt how Auragzeb was the mighty emperor! The only thing every Indian learns for sure is how great RAMA was! How about the unjust suppression of women blatantly advocated by his behaviour portrayed by his actions? Who will learn that?

How many Budhdhists know that Gautam Budhha, born as Prince Sidhdharth was a Hindu prince? Confused

Back Then we had Aurangzeb and co. , then we had British india company and co. . Now we have Mulayam, Sonia, and others. We may have progressed in one way, but what have we learnt from our mistakes? That's why I said, we learnt nothing from the kind of history we learnt.   

Edited by mermaid_QT - 05 January 2007 at 10:06am
swordfishh IF-Dazzler
swordfishh
swordfishh

Joined: 28 April 2005
Posts: 3024

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bhilwara

But if we had history written your way, all of those events we aren't supposed to remember it and could have been wiped out from our texts and then what would we have to look at and take lesson from? By providing these examples you just proved that if we don't learn anything from our history then we are doomed to repeat it! The point is, human brain is capable enough to distinguish between what is right and what is wrong to put things in perspective for historical events, so why not throw things out at them and trust them to judge it? Are you implying that few years down the road we should earse the memories of all the tragedies you just mentioned? When you say, past history is distorted; you are already taking a stance on it just like everybody else.

 

How capable is a young mind of 12-14 to judge incidents like this?Ouch Lets not forget we are talking about History textbooks of young school going children.... And I am certainly not telling that kids should not be told about Ghauri's and Gahzni's invasions or Babar's and Aurangazeb's policies... I am just telling that it is not right to communally colour these historical events in the text books of school going kids .... Such analyses should be left to students of higher education who are apable enough to judge the situation for themselves...

 

Btw, all investigations into all the terror attacks against India from '93 Mumbai Blasts have lead towards just one source. This source in fact provides all logistics, financial succor and in even some cases harbors and nurtures the culprits. Please explain how wiping out the history about Mahmud Ghori and Genghis Khan in India would prevent Pakistan alter the course of their foreign policy towards India?

Ouch I would suggest u read the context in which I replied... It was a reply to Sareg's comment that India does not care to retaliate even if 2000 of its ppl die in an attack... Comparing India with the USA...To which I replied that  India's proximity to the culprits is preventing India from attacking...We cannot certainly influence Pakistani policies.... All I said was India cannot attack Pakistan and stay unharmed... Like how the US stayed after attacking Afghanistan...

And  who said we said we should wipe off the history?? I just said that the communal angle of India's MEDIEVAL history should not be portrayed in the books of young children...

Let them learn about Ghori and Ghaznavi... But let them not be told that these people were " MUSLIMS who killed HINDUS to spead Islam.. And the Muslims in India are their descendants"

We should prevent children from developing a biased attitude towards other religions and people by not presenting facts in a communal manner... The so called Jehadis have been cashing on the religious animosity between Hindus and Muslims in India... And such communal representations in textbooks will only fuel the fire...

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
The greatest king in Indian history?

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Author: lashy   Replies: 69   Views: 48065

lashy 69 48065 05 September 2009 at 1:28am by Shambo
Parent's phyl/behaviour history is imp?

Author: raj5000   Replies: 8   Views: 674

raj5000 8 674 27 March 2008 at 8:06am by corvette
As usual history repeats!

Author: * A P P L E *   Replies: 3   Views: 400

* A P P L E * 3 400 10 March 2008 at 9:32am by Naughty_n_nice
cHAnGE thE hIStOrY oF pROvERbS......~~~~

2

Author: ..oneOone..   Replies: 11   Views: 585

..oneOone.. 11 585 30 November 2006 at 8:46am by sughra2
Well-Behaved Woman And History!

2

Author: sowmyaa   Replies: 12   Views: 707

sowmyaa 12 707 10 March 2006 at 12:22am by devashree410

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index