Debate Mansion

Rewriting History? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 11

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Rewriting History? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

swordfishh

IF-Dazzler

swordfishh

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sareg

Originally posted by swordfishh

The problem is that the REAL facts are disputed...

If u read the Pakistani textbooks u'll get a totally different perspective... They have said something to the effect of.. The Hindu Society was totally ruined by the caste system and the Muslim invaders brought Islam to India as a savior to rescue all those who wanted to free themselves from the evils of the Indian Society...

Ok Hindu society is still divided on caste basis, so it is ok, for someone to walk in and attack IndiaLOLLOLLOL, they really teach that to their kids? no wonder

Muslims(not muslims, Mughals, let us make a distinction) came to India for their own good and things like that...

yes, to fill the pocketsWink

One thing can be looked at from different perspectives... Instead of feeding young kids with ur own perspective... Its better to present those facts tht are not disputed... And let the children form opinions of their own...

This is a justification to the killing/raping of Hindu men/women, that occurred under the Mughal rule, yeah way to go thereThumbs Up

and we are too ashamed to put in the history books in India b'cos we dont want our fellow citizens to feel ashamed of their forefathers?

We dont put it into our textbooks because we dont want communal riots among our fellow citizens that too over HISTORY... HISTORY is HISTORY and let it be... The Babri Masjid demolition over a historical rumour was bad enough...

And yeah... When we talk of Muslim invaders.. Its dates back to Gahuri and Gahznavi... Who came much before Mughals did...

I'm not telling tht History should not be studied... But such controversial things should be left to those who want to pursue higher studies in the same subject...When they would be able to ascertain the truth themselves...

swordfishh

IF-Dazzler

swordfishh

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 12:57pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

But what about a statement like... "Muslim invaders plundered the Hindus and forcibly converted them. Many of the people in India are their descendants and relatives who belong to their community." ...

So what is the real fact? Do you think that everyone converted of their own will? Many houses have their own history books which affirms so many real facts and some of them actually reveal that they were infact forcefully converted to another religion. If I take an example of Kerala then with the advent of St. Thomas many converted to Christianity and most were of lower caste (As you mentioned many flaws of Hindu caste system) because they were treated badly by upper caste Hindus. Same is true when Mughals invaded but it is also a real fact that many temples were destroyed, places renamed and people who converted to Islam didn't have to pay much taxes. It is easy to convert poor people if you lure them. Just because British live in another continent and followers of Mughals live with us shouldn't distort the real history. I can never support history when Ghouri (For now only his name come to my mind) is glorified who in reality killed so many Hindus and destroyed many temples.

In my opinion if we can't provide our future generation with real facts then better we don't teach them history at all and instead teach them religious harmony. With this I rest my case.

We shouldn't distort real history... And the problem is tht the real history is distorted so badly tht its difficult to ascertain the true facts... Its better to be politically correct in such a situation... nd religious harmony is the need of the hour... Istead of ambiguous facts tht we're not even sure of...

I mean if u read the sentences carefully... U'll see aspersions being cast on the integrity of Indian Muslims... How ridiculous is that??

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged

The problem is that the REAL facts are disputed...

If u read the Pakistani textbooks u'll get a totally different perspective... They have said something to the effect of.. The Hindu Society was totally ruined by the caste system and the Muslim invaders brought Islam to India as a savior to rescue all those who wanted to free themselves from the evils of the Indian Society...

Ok Hindu society is still divided on caste basis, so it is ok, for someone to walk in and attack IndiaLOLLOLLOL, they really teach that to their kids? no wonder

Muslims(not muslims, Mughals, let us make a distinction) came to India for their own good and things like that...

yes, to fill the pocketsWink

One thing can be looked at from different perspectives... Instead of feeding young kids with ur own perspective... Its better to present those facts tht are not disputed... And let the children form opinions of their own...

This is a justification to the killing/raping of Hindu men/women, that occurred under the Mughal rule, yeah way to go thereThumbs Up

and we are too ashamed to put in the history books in India b'cos we dont want our fellow citizens to feel ashamed of their forefathers?

We dont put it into our textbooks because we dont want communal riots among our fellow citizens that too over HISTORY... HISTORY is HISTORY and let it be... The Babri Masjid demolition over a historical rumour was bad enough...

And yeah... When we talk of Muslim invaders.. Its dates back to Gahuri and Gahznavi... Who came much before Mughals did...

I'm not telling tht History should not be studied... But such controversial things should be left to those who want to pursue higher studies in the same subject...When they would be able to ascertain the truth themselves...

Truth hurts, but makes a person wiser

If you are not going to learn anything from the history lesson, why learn? just to get grades?

swordfishh

IF-Dazzler

swordfishh

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged
Thats where the problem lies Sareg... The truth just hurts.. Its failed to make people wiser...

And then other World Developments... And the recent anti Islam sentiment among Western countries isnt helping either...

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged

Thats where the problem lies Sareg... The truth just hurts.. Its failed to make people wiser...

And then other World Developments... And the recent anti Islam sentiment among Western countries isnt helping either...

I know India does not really care, if someone kills 2000 of its citizens

But some other countries do, they stand up and hit back without thinking whether it makes the receiving party think whether it is on religious lines or otherwise

We have a choice here, keep on getting citizens of our country killed left and right irrespective of their religion or understand what drives these people, seperate it from religion and hit back

The only way we are going to be able to do this is by learning from our History

That is the absolute truth here, with no sugar coatingWink, and this was taught to me by my History teacher who was a Parsi

swordfishh

IF-Dazzler

swordfishh

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged

But some other countries do, they stand up and hit back without thinking whether it makes the receiving party think whether it is on religious lines or otherwise

We have a choice here, keep on getting citizens of our country killed left and right irrespective of their religion or understand what drives these people, seperate it from religion and hit back

That is the absolute truth here, with no sugar coatingWink, and this was taught to me by my History teacher who was a Parsi

OuchOuch America can hit back because someone killed many American citizens... OuchOuch

But in India... That someone is more often than not an Indian... OuchOuch America fights its wars on Iraqi territory... in Afghanisthan.. or wherever...Violence erupts in Iraq... Iraqi civilians die... Afghan civilians die because of the tussle between the Taliban an non Taliban...

BUT.......

If  India has to fight a war... It will be on her own land... If she strikes back... It will be on her own people... Violence will aggravate on her own land... Thts the reason why India has to think 20,000 times before striking back..

And yes.. If and when India does strike back... The International Community headed by a certain United States of America and a certain United Nations will take immense pleasure in condemning the "Human Rights Violations" n will impose sanctions if necessary... EmbarrassedBig smile Great isn't it? Ouch

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged

OuchOuch America can hit back because someone killed many American citizens... OuchOuch

But in India... That someone is more often than not an Indian... OuchOuch America fights its wars on Iraqi territory... in Afghanisthan.. or wherever...Violence erupts in Iraq... Iraqi civilians die... Afghan civilians die because of the tussle between the Taliban an non Taliban...

BUT.......

If  India has to fight a war... It will be on her own land... If she strikes back... It will be on her own people... Violence will aggravate on her own land... Thts the reason why India has to think 20,000 times before striking back..

And yes.. If and when India does strike back... The International Community headed by a certain United States of America and a certain United Nations will take immense pleasure in condemning the "Human Rights Violations" n will impose sanctions if necessary... EmbarrassedBig smile Great isn't it? Ouch

That attitude is exactly why India is termed as a Soft State. We are always concerned oh we will lose this many people if we get into a War, but we are losing those many people on a day to day basis to attacks anyway

We are a country that is always concerned about how an attack might hurt us, rather than how to resolve the problem permanently

Who cares about Sanctions? It would hurt the other countries more if they put Sanctions on India in the current state, so let us get out of that fear, they figured that out after the post-Pokhran sanctions, that is why they went about doing the nuclear treatyWink

anyway that's it for me on this thread

My parting thoughts

We should represent history in an accurate fashion in our textbooks, so the newer generation learns the lessons from our mistakes, so they do not repeat them when it comes to their times. If it hurts the sentiments of Hindu's fine, If it hurts the sentiments of Muslims fine too. We are one nation, let us not make it about religion everywhere

Post Reply New Post

Go to top