Debate Mansion

Saddam Hussain execution- do you agree? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 6

Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 6
Page 6 Page 6

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A guard present at Saddam Hussein's execution was being questioned in connection with a cell phone video showing the hanging, according to Sadiq al-Rikabi, an adviser to the Iraqi prime minister said Wednesday.

The security guard is suspected of making and distributing the video, which showed bitter exchanges between the Sunni former dictator and his Shiite guards. The images fed Sunni fears that Hussein's death was a sectarian lynching by the Shiite-led government, rather than a legitimate execution.

Iraq's national security adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie, who was an official observer at the hanging, told CNN on Wednesday that the execution was "not a sectarian lynching" but that some of the behavior in the execution chamber was "unacceptable."

"I believe the whole process has been infiltrated by people who have a vested interest in escalating the violence," al-Rubaie said. "They wanted to promote a political cause for themselves or for their groups or for their leader or whatever, but I believe the Iraqi government has done the proper thing."

Al-Rubaie said there were people in the execution chamber whom he could not account for and who did not seem to be part of the execution team.

Iraq has launched an investigation into who recorded and distributed images of the execution, as well as the taunting of the former leader just before to his death, according to a government spokesman. (Watch how the cell-phone video is causing concern in Iraq )

There are conflicting reports on who smuggled a cell phone into the execution chamber.

Sami al-Askari, an aide to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, attended the execution and told CNN it was one of the four masked guards who recorded the hanging.

Al-Rubaie denies bringing in cell phone
The New York Times quoted Iraqi prosecutor Munqith Faroon as identifying al-Rubaie as one of two Iraqi officials holding their cell phones in the air to capture images and sound of Saddam's hanging.

Al-Rubaie Wednesday denied the charge, saying that the accusation had since been pulled off The New York Times' Web site.

Faroon -- a prosecutor in the Dujail case in which Hussein was found guilty and sentenced to death -- did not identify the second Iraqi official.

CNN is attempting to contact The New York Times to find out why the paragraph was removed from its online edition.

Al-Rubaie told CNN he and other Iraqi officials were meticulously screened by U.S. soldiers before entering the execution chamber.

"The cell phones were taken by the American guards in the Green Zone and also before we entered into the execution chambers," al-Rubaie said.

He said some of the guards securing the chambers were carrying cell phones -- and possibly some of the executioners -- but said he did not see who was videotaping the hanging because he "was busy looking at Saddam."

He said whoever leaked the video "meant harm to the national unity of Iraq" and noted there were a few people inside the chamber that he did not witness going through the security process.

"I believe there was an infiltration to the crowd inside the chamber," al-Rubaie said. "These people have done a lot of harm and I honestly believe that this may well have been planned by one of these Arab television channels infiltrating, and probably this video has been sold to this Arab television station."

"There was some behavior which was unacceptable from some people, but some of them -- some of this reaction -- [was] a natural reaction that should not have happened," he said. "It should have been -- they should have respect for the occasion and the event, but I think some of them, they were natural reactions."

'The man is being executed'
Early Saturday morning, Hussein was transported from his holding cell at Camp Cropper to the execution site, a building where Hussein's intelligence officers had hanged so many others.

There, he was handed over to Iraqi security.

Official government video of the execution was released without sound and ends when the noose is put around Hussein's neck.

But a crude cell-phone video leaked less than 24 hours later goes much further -- showing bitter exchanges between Hussein and his Shiite guards. (Watch how Iraqis react to cell-phone footage )

After Hussein offers prayers, the guards shout praise for Muqtada al-Sadr, the radical Shiite cleric whose father is believed to have been murdered by Hussein's regime.

They chant, "Muqtada! Muqtada! Muqtada!"

Hussein smiles.

"Is this how you show your bravery as men?" he asks.

"Straight to hell," someone shouts back at him.

"Is this the bravery of Arabs?" Hussein asks.

A sole voice is heard trying to silence the taunts.

"Please, I am begging you not to," the unknown man says. "The man is being executed."

Another shout, "Long live Mohammed Baqir Sadr" -- referring to Muqtada al-Sadr's father-in-law and a founder of the Shiite Dawa movement, who was executed by the Hussein regime. Dawa is al-Maliki's party.

The taunts continued, and the trapdoor dropped shortly after 6 a.m. Saturday. Hussein was hanged. (Watch Hussein's last moments )

Immediately after, Shiite witnesses danced around his body, chanting celebratory slogans.

The images raised concerns that even moderate Sunnis would be driven further away from the Shiite-led government they already mistrust, reducing the chances for a united Iraq where the sects share power.

U.S.: We would have done it differently
The execution would have been done differently had the United States been in charge, a U.S. military spokesman said Wednesday.

"But that was not our decision," U.S. military spokesman Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said during a Baghdad news conference. "That was the government of Iraq's decision. This is a sovereign nation and they're going to learn from each thing they do."

Leading up to the exchange of "physical control" of Hussein to the Iraqis, Caldwell said the former dictator was "dignified as always" and was "courteous as he always had been to the U.S. military police guards."

"We had absolutely nothing to do with any of the procedures or control mechanisms from that point forward," Caldwell added.

U.S. officials reportedly tried to delay the execution, fearing it would fuel perceptions the death of the former Iraqi dictator was more about Shiite retribution than about justice. (Full story)

On Sunday, the U.S. military transported Hussein's body for burial at his home village of Awja near Tikrit, where Sunnis took to the streets loudly calling the former Iraqi president a hero and a martyr. (Full story)

CNN's Arwa Damon, Jomana Karadsheh, Aneesh Raman and Brian Todd contributed to this report.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Saddam Hussain execution- do you agree? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 10:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Awww

I never favoured Saddam's way of handling his country and I have neversupported Bush's ideaseither.

I will be honest, I actually had tears in my eyesseeing that clip of Saddam when they put the nook around his neck.Again not because I cared about him, but as a human being Iwas so disturbed by this.

Bushhas equally killed as many people bythe name of "Peace". So many soilders have died fighting in Iraq.

so you think just becuase Bush has done equally bad things Saddam should be pardoned? I also get tears when bombs kill innocent people, or when someone murder innocents. For saddam I don't think he deserves my tears

If Saddam wasto behanged then they should have done it then when he had commited thosecrimes
I am sure if it was easy to get hold of Saddam when he was commiting crimes they would have done that time
and nowwhen they could not find weapons of mass destruction.

My personalview -Rather then hanging someone to death,just testproducts on the person . You know whenthey make new shampoo, make up, meds, why not just try on them.Confused

was that suppose to be funny or sarcastic? For someone like Saddam- one more evil is gone that's all i can say

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by Awww

My personal view - Rather then hanging someone to death, just test products on the person . You know when they make new shampoo, make up, meds, why not just try on them.Confused 

Actually you have a point thereSmile. Why not test new products on them instead of poor animals? At least that would do some good to mankind and to those poor Monkeys and Rats.

That is against Human rights I think

Anyway Saddam and people of his type have a hardened skin, not like normal humanWink, that is b'cos of what they are or how they got there, depends on which version you choose to beleiveBig smile

Beware of what you ask for, you maynot like what you actually get.(I mean the cosmetic products after  testing on people like SaddamLOL)

Edited by sareg - 03 January 2007 at 3:06pm

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged
I debated with myself and was unable to pick a side. Hence posting my thoughts after 6 pages and am still undecided.

1) Saddam was ruthless to Shi-ites. He deserved severe punishment - a death sentence.
2) Any form and supporter of terrorism needs to be extracted from the society and he surely was an anti-social element that should have been iradicated at some point.

However,
1) Iraq was not involved in 9/11 as US claimed before attacking Iraq - not a very human action
2) During the Iran Iraq war, US empowered Saddam, and parallely created Taliban during the cold war, which recently came around and bit us from behind Dead.
Rise of Saddam and resultant torture of Shiites in Iraq was initially supported by who?  What punishment do the rest get?
3) If it was a war against terrrorism and since Saddam was a monster, one could have either shot him down / tortured him slowly to death, why the trial in the first place?
4) He did not deserve a trial. I couldn't care lesser if it was an biassed / unbiassed trial, because for treating a terrorist, nothing in unfair. Yet, he was legally given a death sentence - death by hanging. 
In that case, what I do not support is

a) his execution to be video-taped.
b) his last words to be mocked at / ridiculed.
c) the sentencing guards ill-treating the dying man

Such behaviour adds oil to the fire. They may be handful, but Saddam had avid supporters.  Such acts make worse and stronger terrorists out of those who worship him.  We cannot hunt down each one of them.  It is not about what he deserved. It is about what the living people people deserve in our future. We undeniably need no more terrorism than we have now.

mqt

Edited by mermaid_QT - 03 January 2007 at 8:29pm

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 8:47pm | IP Logged
MQT, I do not think the taping was intentional, they are stupid but not that stupid to let that happen knowingly, this is almost suicidal, this is going to cost some soldiers their lives unneccasarily Cry

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged
I agree with you sareg, that it was unintentional though incredibly stupid!

The least the media should have done was not to show it over and over again on every news telecast.

On second thoughts, I guess it was too late to control it anyway! I did not believe my eyes when they showed it. For the first time, I felt sad even for the man, who had always been a monster in my mind. Such images can be very moving and confusing for overly emotional fools such as myself.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top