Debate Mansion

Olympic Dream

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged
The Olympic Flame is still burning, but is it an illusion? The ancient Olympic Games had as their motto "faster, higher, stronger" but perhaps a new triad should replace it: "drugs, commercialization, corruption". The question is probably whether any of these things has done enough to suffocate the desire on the part of athletes to compete "for the glory of sport".

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Olympic Dream" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

jprasad

IF-Rockerz

jprasad

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 12:45pm | IP Logged
I was gonna say if we cut out the Olympics then we could save some money here as well. But I don't want Somwyaa to think I am satyanaashing all her posts...

So instead I will say, the Olympics has become a joke. From the politics that surround it to the athletes who abuse drugs in the name of winning, the Olympics is a grey cloud. We cannot trust any of the players and no matter how hard they work, I think that they destroy their bodies and we as a society cannot continue to let this happen. We should ban the Olympics and that will elimate the problem. I guess we could save some money as well...but, but, but we could use that money towards finding a cure for aids and feeding the poor.

mehak_kapoor

IF-Sizzlerz

mehak_kapoor

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:10pm | IP Logged
Wink

savie

Goldie

savie

Posted: 30 December 2006 at 1:26am | IP Logged
Olympic should be there but with the same motto "faster, higher, stronger" and the organising Authorities shud make sure of this motto

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 31 December 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged
Vey wel-said Sowmyaa! I have nothing to add. I will tell a funny story instead.

At the onset of the last olympics, I was bragging about the Indian team. I emphasized on a relative dirth of nutrition, training and dedication / prioratizing provided by India as a country to its sports other than cricket. I said I was proud of the team for even showing up to lose instead of doping to win. Within the course of time, the entire team was banned and my French colleague was laughing at me Embarrassed Cry

Competetive spirit and fierce hunger and willingness to beg , borrow, steal the medal for the best are not one and the same!   Confused

ani11

IF-Sizzlerz

ani11

Posted: 25 January 2007 at 7:43am | IP Logged

Edited by ani11 - 08 October 2009 at 2:46pm

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 25 January 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sowmyaa

The Olympic Flame is still burning, but is it an illusion? The ancient Olympic Games had as their motto "faster, higher, stronger" but perhaps a new triad should replace it: "drugs, commercialization, corruption". The question is probably whether any of these things has done enough to suffocate the desire on the part of athletes to compete "for the glory of sport".

i dont think so. Thankfully they still vie to be faster, stronger, higher.. the thing is we try to define rules by exception..... Performance enhancing drugs are not bad... they just are not in the rule book for they make the competition unfair... They cant allow it since its a health hazard.. some of them who take them as a part of the training  end up getting booted - this by no way makes it a wide-spread pehnomena... so yes i feel the olympic still retains its victory attitude...Smile

Edited by qwertyesque - 25 January 2007 at 8:26am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top