Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

Rumi

Goldie

Rumi

Posted: 07 July 2005 at 6:54am | IP Logged

Minnie

i understand every thing you have written.you are right in your sense dear. i just said this is my belief.i want to live like this.that's all. if you can serve your people living outside India that is really nice.i respect you for that.Smile but you know ,all people are not like you or those people whom you are talking about. i have seen many people abandoning their parents and relatives, beiing too much proud to live abroad  and considering this country and the people here as nasty things. i told about them .not about people like you. and the words you have written about the interference of people about the life-style of an working woman.this is really true.and exactly for this, i would like to stay here and fight to make situation better. you know,things are changing.not very quickly, but slowly. i am a working woman. i have an independent life-style and i don't bother who is telling what about me.and i have been successfull, you know. Big smile

but, if all people go abroad , who will live here and work for this country?Big smileso i am among those people who would like to stay here and work here.

i think we have a lot to do staying here . we are trying to change the mentalities of ordinary women. i always inspire my girl students to be economically self-sufficient.we have a career counselling cell in our college,where we tell poor and little-educated women how to earn money with different works. academically we are working gender studies to change the curricula and make it more gender-sensitive. i know these are very small works considering the big country like india. but we are not sitting idle.we are doing something,and you must agree with me that these things are required  also. there must be some people here who will do these, who will fight with all these problems. i want to be one of these people. if NRIs help us with funds like you are saying that is also very much welcome. serving for your country is the only requirement and in this respect i agree with you.only i don't know how many NRI s think like you.

anyways, i didn't want to hurt any person here. i just told about myself.what is my point of view. and about the topic that indians always like to go abroad.otherwise,i respect every person here.Smile

Edited by Rumi - 07 July 2005 at 7:15am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "india vs not-india (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 07 July 2005 at 7:00am | IP Logged
Minnie, you just brought all examples which I could never pen down. Clap That is so true....

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 07 July 2005 at 7:06am | IP Logged
I think there is no certain yes or certain no to living in India or outside. It totally depends upon individual way of thinking. And as Minnie and Rumi you both are right. People living in India have their own way to help their country and there are tons of people living in India who besides living there do nothing for their country. And just like Minnie said there are Indians who live abroad but help their country in many ways and there are also Indians living in abroad who does nothing to help their country. Like always- there are all diff. Kind of people all around the globe and you cannot generalize one cult or group. And yes, Rumi you are right that there are people here who do get an attitude after living abroad and don't care about their parents and relatives. But there are people here who do lot for their country and sponsor for kids in India to help them out in education and other ways. And there are people in India too who have attitude and don't take care of their parents.

pj04

IF-Veteran Member

pj04

Posted: 07 July 2005 at 11:49am | IP Logged
very well said minnie!!!.....you just penned down everything that i was finding ways to convey.

Minnie

IF-Veteran Member

Minnie

Posted: 07 July 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rumi

Minnie

i understand every thing you have written.you are right in your sense dear. i just said this is my belief.i want to live like this.that's all. if you can serve your people living outside India that is really nice.i respect you for that.Smile but you know ,all people are not like you or those people whom you are talking about. i have seen many people abandoning their parents and relatives, beiing too much proud to live abroad  and considering this country and the people here as nasty things. i told about them .not about people like you. and the words you have written about the interference of people about the life-style of an working woman.this is really true.and exactly for this, i would like to stay here and fight to make situation better. you know,things are changing.not very quickly, but slowly. i am a working woman. i have an independent life-style and i don't bother who is telling what about me.and i have been successfull, you know. Big smile

but, if all people go abroad , who will live here and work for this country?Big smileso i am among those people who would like to stay here and work here.

i think we have a lot to do staying here . we are trying to change the mentalities of ordinary women. i always inspire my girl students to be economically self-sufficient.we have a career counselling cell in our college,where we tell poor and little-educated women how to earn money with different works. academically we are working gender studies to change the curricula and make it more gender-sensitive. i know these are very small works considering the big country like india. but we are not sitting idle.we are doing something,and you must agree with me that these things are required  also. there must be some people here who will do these, who will fight with all these problems. i want to be one of these people. if NRIs help us with funds like you are saying that is also very much welcome. serving for your country is the only requirement and in this respect i agree with you.only i don't know how many NRI s think like you.

anyways, i didn't want to hurt any person here. i just told about myself.what is my point of view. and about the topic that indians always like to go abroad.otherwise,i respect every person here.Smile

Rumi,  You are a teacher I take it? I know when you are working in an streamlined occupation, it becomes a lot easier. Now a days, so many girls are coming forward and choosing a career that is unconventional. And making a success out of it. The metros have actually changed, with the girls becoming bolder each day. But the truth stands that for men and women both, working in conventional jobs, the opportunities to succeed are not huge. My brother in law has done very well for himself and he does not feel the need to come abroad because he has found his job satisfaction there itself,and he has seen his immense hard work pay off. I have seen so many women do very well for themselves in business and in their work places and they certainly would never give that up. My mom runs a parlour and in her free time, gives lessons to poor kids. My own cousin is a successful doctor and she would not dream of coming to US or anywhere else. My best firend is a govt school teacher and she too is very happy with her husband. But such is not the case with my husband and many like him. Unfortunately, his opportunity came here, and not in India. Had the opportunity been there, we would have happily lived there.  

Most of those who live here actually grow very close to their parents and many a times try their level best to bring them over. But in India too, I have seen men who don't take care of their parents, care a hoot if they become sick and many a times, though sometimes they genuinely don't have funds to pay for the expenses of their ailing parents. I have seen an obnoxious daughter in law who used to crib because her mother in law used too much toothpaste wasting her 'husband's' hard earned moneyAngry or sat with her feet up on the devan and the sofa making it 'dirty'Dead

I feel that it's not a matter of being good or bad, it's rather a matter of good intent. Perhaps there are scores of women and men who feel and work to make things better. And scores others who are siphoning of funds to fill their greed, crippling the economy each time. I have seen how the corruption almost killed a world class petroleum plant like Haldia Petro, washing away in their greed all the good intent that an NRI called Purnendu Chatterjee had.

I had a chance to meet the man and I told him clearly how rotten the administration was. Poor guy, he was so shocked. But that's how most of the things are.

Here, I have recently become a part of an NGO society who exclusively fund girl chidren in Indian subcontinent and Africa. A very young girl client of mine introduced me to it. There are hundreds of young girls like hers who are members there. During the Tsunami, these girls actually skipped going to movies and eating out ,even worked that extra weekend to donate heavily. Every Sunday they have thier meetings where we donate whatever we can and they give us a list of the places where those donations would go. They mostly encourage donations in small dennominations and materials.

we get the proof everytime that the things and the money have reached the destination.Sad part though is, whethere they actually reach the needy, we have no idea. But it does feel good to know that me and many like me are doing our part.

One of my very good friends here who has been living here for the last 15 years funded a few girl kids. One of them has recently graduated from Lucknow Medical college.  Now, that makes my heart swell with pride and makes me hope that maybe I too can make that small difference in someone's life.Rumi, it's a fact that people like you would have found ways to serve the country and make it a better place to live no matter where they were. And the fact lies that India needs courageous women like you.

Rumi

Goldie

Rumi

Posted: 07 July 2005 at 8:45pm | IP Logged
Minnie !!!! i have nothing to say now! only....Hug

RUPALV22

RUPALV22

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 2:57am | IP Logged

Oh, that's so touching discussion...Hugu all...

Dear Rumi Clap ClapClapit takes so much courage & spirit to say all that.

I too share your emotions & crazy love for India,  I refuse marriage proposals from abroad with plain NO only 'coz I would never want to leave India, call me conservative or outdated,  yes, I want to see the world before I die, but never would want to settle abroad, I live in Mumbai & I love it with all its odds & adversities, with its slums ,pollution, riots, overcrowded trains & streets , with its crimes & risks beating in every moment of earning our living here...I love its soul as simple as that.

But I do understand  & can feel what BgDesai , Puja & Minnie have said.

my grandparents moved to Mumbai after three consequent years of famine in our native place,I'm sure in that era Mumbai must have been living abroad for them but they had to do it,it doesn't mean they didn't miss their root anytime or never did anything for their native place,my grandfather even tried his best to convince me to serve in my native place ,he said 'I'll pay you more than what you get here;you serve there'  but I never listened to him Evil Smile  'coz was too scared of adversities, lack of resources & could never get over temptations of living here.  But at least he succeeded in planting a  desire within me to spend a few years of my life there, once I'm 'self sufficient'    Even my Dad enjoys there more than here physically & mentally 'coz of low pollution & healthy life style but still he can't think of leaving mumbai only 'coz of bread & butter.

I think similar logic can be applied here,I too fight a lot with my bro. when he says he wants to move abroad after doing  MBA than facing frustrations here, but I think instead of grumbling here & trying to copy blindly the western lifestyle ,it's better to let him  give an opportunity & let him  realise  the truth by himself.

Morals,values,culture  all  this  makes part of you then itself, when you are brought up so the 'place' where you live hardly can modify them once you are sure of yourself. I  can feel how deeply you all are rooted here inspite of living there which has cleared my fallacies of life style there,which sounds better than metros here trying to copy western culture blindly....

If we compare lifestyles I'm sure it isn't easy there too, if they offer you good job they make sure they extract you fully,  here if I 've a sick family member & ask for a leave my boss says 'I understand'  without deducting my salary... but it is not so there...but I also admit that this'chalta hai'  attitude has given birth to lazy workers in govt offices.

Independent lifestyle gives freedom to do what we want,but at the same time slowly makes way for loneliness ,depressions & secondary diseases  like Diabetes & CHD which are called diseases of affluent society  &  are/have been  travelling India now.Interfering neighbours can also be of immense help in emergency...

The greatest advantage of living here is our cultural & spiritual inheritance which is complete in itself if 'Interpreted Correctly',but not to forget disadvantage the society has taken with superstitions & own beliefs. India's spirituality has gifted world with Yoga & Ayurveda;immense strenghth in itself to fight against odds of life which unfortunately is valued more abroad than here.....

Everyone has right to prove  their potentials & grab the opportunity to do so,Kalpna Chawla has made all of us proud of her , it's nice that globe is acknowledging India's Brain power,& now ppl sitting in Benglore are modifying world's economy at their fingertips,world is being considered flat 'coz of growing technology & any bright mind has equal opportunity to flourish from any corner of the world ! so I do wish at least we realise our worth instead of getting frustrated & being impatient; work for economic independence in India instead of falling pray to market strategies.yes this is being smothered by selfish leaders living here & not  ppl migrating abroad.

so all my friends living there I wish the Best for you allThumbs Up  &  Hugbut pls do come back whenever you can....meanwhile Rumi, I 'll surely help you in your work...Smile

Edited by RUPALV22 - 08 July 2005 at 1:15pm

Rumi

Goldie

Rumi

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 6:53am | IP Logged

Rupal .

you are always welcome buddy!!!!Hug!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top