Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

PADMAN- Reviews, Box Office, Discussions. (Page 3)

here4reviews Senior Member
here4reviews
here4reviews

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 12:49pm | IP Logged

PadMan movie review: Akshay Kumar delivers a film that India needed, period

Padman movie review: Despite being heavily peppered with a lot of melodrama, over-the-top acting and some unnecessarily elongated scenes and monolugues, Padman manages to bring forth the message it aims to spread.

MOVIE REVIEWS Updated: Feb 08, 2018 23:59 IST
Sweta Kaushal
Sweta Kaushal 
Hindustan Times
Padman movie review: Akshay Kumar plays the titular role in R Balki's film.
Padman movie review: Akshay Kumar plays the titular role in R Balki's film.

Padman 
Director: R Balki
Cast: Akshay Kumar, Sonam Kapoor, Radhika Apte
Rating: 3/5

A young girl teases her brother when he wants to romance his wife, but runs away horrified when she sees a sanitary napkin in his hands. A loving but naive wife is scandalised as her husband "obsessed with women's problems. It is moments like these that make Akshay Kumar's PadMan elevating, without being didactic. R Balki's much-hyped film is based on the real life story of Arunachalam Muruganantham. Despite being peppered with melodrama and some unnecessarily stretched scenes, the entertaining PadMan delivers a robust message -- the importance of women's menstrual health. 

Akshay plays Lakshmikant Chauhan, a school-dropout mechanic who is smitten by his wife Gayatri, played by Radhika Apte. Within minutes of the film, we are told that not only Lakshmi loves his wife; he is also sensitive towards women and their problems. The film traces Lakshmi's fight with the society, his own financial and educational limitations, his family and even his wife, in order to ensure women start using hygienic alternatives when they are menstruating. 

PadMan begins on slow note and drags on for some time before picking up pace. The characters in the supporting cast seem to be in a race for over-acting - be it Akshay's onscreen mom or random background characters in every frame, they look like they were simply lifted from a 60s movie. 

However, the film forces you to look at the big picture. The film tackles the "shame that our society insists on imposing on periods, head on. From the women being ostracised during "that time of the month to young girls shying away from school to avoid any "embarrassment, co-writer Balki and Swanand Kirkire have managed to put it all out exactly as it is. Some of the exchanges that Lakshmi has in the course of attempting to find a cheap alternative to sanitary pads seem in-your-face, but these also bring forth issues that our society needs to address. 

In one of his arguments with Gayatri, while pleading with her to use a sanitary pad, Lakshmi says he tried convincing his three sisters and mom to use sanitary pads instead of dirty cloth but they didn't understand. No, this man does not restrict his sensitivity to his wife alone - he wants every woman to fully live life just like a man and not be banished to a portion of the house for few days every month. 

Sonam has quite a late entry in the narrative, but adds charm to every frame she inhabits. Her character has been beautifully etched, perhaps to balance Radhika's naive and self-destructive female character. Sonam's character not only offers marketing and financial help to Lakshmi, but also shares a modern and chilled-out life mantra when the former is a bit confused following certain turn of events. 

While Radhika disappears into the naive, blind-folded woman who believes "auraton ke liye sabse badi beemari hai sharam, Akshay tries his best to be the superhero he has come to be identified with in his films. Only, Akshay's accent and tone often fluctuate between those of a villager, a person with the basic knowledge of English and someone who is educated enough to differentiate between American and British accents. Sonam plays a privileged South Delhi girl and fits perfectly in the role. She also gets to mouth some of the best comebacks directed at Akshay in the film.

Kaoridz Groupbie
Kaoridz
Kaoridz

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Udan-Khatola

Originally posted by 2RsFan

Sneha May Francis hates almost every BW commercial movie

Pretty much

She once tweeted that she gives negative reviews to gain attention in terms of increasing her popularity and then deleted it in 10 mins. She does praise South films a lot however

Lol that's exactly what she does. She contradicts herself so much in the same review : she doesn't make sense to me ...
Pr1yanka IF-Sizzlerz
Pr1yanka
Pr1yanka

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 7:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by here4reviews

Film Companion Early Buzz

Good-

Radhika Apte.She owns the role and makes it believable.
Story
Music

Bad-

Monotonous and draggy screenplay
Balki's direction and humour.
Akshay Kumar doesn't look genuine
Sonam Kapoor's performance not in sync.
Filmy twist to the story.

Lol Sonam kapoor's performance not in sync...when is it in sync ...hilarious

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Hakuna-Matataa-Swetha-

MinzPie IF-Stunnerz
MinzPie
MinzPie

Stormtrooper of CC

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 9:39pm | IP Logged
BO/reviews thread??

#PadMan screen count... India: 2750 Overseas: 600 Worldwide total: 3350 screens.

here4reviews Senior Member
here4reviews
here4reviews

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 10:01pm | IP Logged
Updated.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MinzPie

MinzPie IF-Stunnerz
MinzPie
MinzPie

Stormtrooper of CC

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 10:17pm | IP Logged
Indian Express

PadMan movie review: The Akshay Kumar starrer isn't a particularly enjoyable film

PadMan movie review: It is a worthy film, but it isn't a particularly enjoyable. It has tonal problems, because it is trying to appeal to many constituencies at the same time. Akshay Kumar gets fully into the role while trying to get in touch with the 'feminine' inside of him.

Written by Shubhra Gupta | New Delhi | Published: February 9, 2018 10:40 am
PadMan review Akshay Kumar Sonam Kapoor Radhika Apte
PadMan movie review: Akshay Kumar gets fully into the role while trying to get in touch with the feminine' inside of him.

PadMan movie cast: Akshay KumarSonam KapoorRadhika Apte
PadMan movie director: R Balki
PadMan movie rating: 2 stars

PadMan is based on the real-life inspirational story of Arunachalam Muruganantham, the man who famously invented a machine that led to the creation of a low-cost sanitary napkin, and created a real-life revolution.

There is absolutely no doubt that the subject and the intention of the film is applause-worthy. In India, the shame' associated with that time of the month' is still so strong and so pervasive that anything that brings out into the open is cause to cheer, and a film starring a big star is sometimes the best way to break age-old taboos.

But PadMan left me conflicted because I was left struggling to find the film buried under the heavy-handed messaging, especially in the repetitive first half.

By the time Gayatri (Apte), Laxmi Prasad's (Kumar) comely new bride utters the word sharm' the nth time, her beautiful big eyes swimming, it's coming out of our ears. Because Laxmi, a resident of picturesque Maheshwar, a small town in MP, is hell-bent upon saving his wife and the other women of his family from the use of unhygienic rags, and subsequent lethal infection. And nothing will deter him: not the bewildered Gayatri who can't understand his obsession with this auraton ki baat', nor his horrified sisters, his mother, or the other enraged women around him.

This is a country where girls and women with the curse' are ex-communicated when they have their periods, not allowed to come into the kitchen, or touch achaar' because it will go bad', or any other human being because they will become impure'. Not just having your periods is shameful, but even buying sanitary towels is a clandestine affair (the shopkeeper will wrap the packet in double layers so it can't be seen). And young boys make nasty, sexist remarks about five day test matches' (I hadn't heard that one before, but I'm sure there are worse epithets for menstruating women).

Akshay Kumar is now consistently green-lighting socially-relevant films, and that is fine and laudable: his 2017 Toilet: Ek Prem Katha started conversations around having toilets within the house. I liked both what it was trying to say and how it was doing so: it was done with a degree of flair.

PadMan is as worthy, but it isn't a particularly enjoyable film. It has tonal problems, because it is trying to appeal to many constituencies at the same time. The perky city girl Pari (Kapoor, whose arrival perks up the proceedings) who is a figment of the filmmakers' imagination, and who helps Laxmi realize his dreams, speaks to the urban girls who call their periods chums'; the seedha-palla' wearing Gayatri is the spokesperson for those who call it maahvaari' or mahina'.

But this is also the film which has to focus on the big male star for obvious reasons. We are left with the man of the movie, and the reason why this film has been made. Akshay gets fully into the role while trying to get in touch with the feminine' inside of him, with some nice strokes: he is the film, in a sense, and he is both earnest and likeable enough, even if we wish his women looked his age. And, even more crucially, that PadMan paid as much attention to its medium as its message.

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 10:19pm | IP Logged
Good luck to the Padman teamThumbs Up

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-

MinzPie IF-Stunnerz
MinzPie
MinzPie

Stormtrooper of CC

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 10:21pm | IP Logged

"I cried with happiness when I saw Akshay Kumar playing me Arunachalam Muruganantham

BySubhash K. Jha
Feb 9, 2018 - 10:22 am IST

The actual Pad Man Arunachalam Muruganantham watched R Balki's bio-pic Pad Manon Wednesday. And Arunachalam Muruganantham just can't get over the experience. "It was like my whole life, all its struggles and strife all the grief and joy, flashing in front of me. I couldn't have hoped for a better film on my life and struggle than this.

So is he fully satisfied? How much of his real story does Pad Man capture? "I'd say the film captures 80 percent of my real story. It couldn't be a 100 percent my story. Then it would've been a documentary on me. Cinema must define and refine reality. I feel the film captures the essence and the true meaning of my struggle to give women dignity and validation not only during their time of the month but all through the year. Akshay Kumar has played my character with such warmth humour and finesse. I cried watching him and the film.

• Celebs grace special screening of Pad Man
  • Niddhi Agrewal, Diana Penty and others grace the special screening of 'Pad Man'
  • Pad Man
  • Pad Man
  • Pad Man
  • Pad Man
  • Pad Man
  • Smriti Irani snapped at Akshay Kumar's special screening of Pad Man for the I&B Ministry
Next

Is Arunachalam Muruganantham a movie buff? "Not at all. I don't watch films. I don't have time for it. The last film I saw was Sholay with my father in 1975. And now I've seen my own story in Pad Man. My father is not here anymore with me. But I am sure he'd been very proud to see his son's life portrayed so beautifully on screen.

Arunachalam Muruganantham's wife who inspired his struggle to manufacture economical sanitary pads is yet to see the film. "My wife and daughter will watch the film in a couple of days with me. I can't wait to see my wife's reaction. The entire story of my life and the recognition it has brought me is because of her, says the real-life Pad Manwho feels there should be more films on unsung heroes.

"But then how many Balkis are there to tell such stories? wonders Arunachalam Muruganantham.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Maraka_Musso89-Swetha-

Go to top