Debate Mansion

The world cup team we need.....

insouciance thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
THE WORLD CUP TEAM WE NEED

The composition of the Indian cricket XI is hotly debated. As the World Cup draws closer, to get the flavour of what the cricket fan thinks, BT draws up its own panel of five selectors, who choose the team they feel has the aggro and the drive to win

CAPTAIN KAUN?

The panel's decision is unanimous – Sourav Ganguly must come back as the captain of the Indian team.
Why… "Because he's a tiger. He's aggressive and can fire up the team. He's India's answer to Ricky Ponting, who plays to win," says Alyque. "Sourav can motivate the boys with his pep talk. And the youngsters are in awe of Ganguly. He is the only one who can bring team spirit to the quite fragmented team we have now," echoes Mandira. And Arbaaz feels, "He's the captain who stuck his neck out for his boys at the cost of displeasing selectors and coach. Imran Khan used to stick up for his boys, and that is why he was such a great captain. And Ganguly is similar in attitude." Bhatt echoes this with, "Dravid is Mr Right. They say Ganguly is erratic, temperamental… agreed, but he's got a charisma…."

BT'S WORLD CUP TEAM- WHO, AND WHY

Ganguly (Opener & Captain)

We have no choice. There's no replacement for Ganguly. He's an aggressive player, and can keep the scoreboard flying.

Virender Sehwag (to open with Ganguly)

It doesn't matter if he's out of form. He's a gutsy, big match player. He can, in three overs, change the course of the match.

Sachin Tendulkar

Is the 'mental' backbone of the team. If he scores, the rest of the team is motivated to win.

MS Dhoni (WK)

His flamboyance is necessary for the team. A big match performer too.

Rahul Dravid

Not a fast scorer, but he's a tenacious holder-on. Stabilises a match.

Md Kaif

His catches have turned matches. Not too bat with a bat either.

Yuvraj Singh

Let's hope he comes back. Is a good mid-fielder, a big-hitter too.

Irfan Pathan

He's India's best bowler.

Munaf Patel

Can complement Pathan's attack from the other end.

Anil Kumble

The only economical spinner

Harbhajan

Quick hand in batting but his spin is no less unnerving. Reserves: Dinesh Mongia; Gautam Gambhir; Zahir Khan; Ramesh Pawar.

THESE STARS DON'T SHINE ENOUGH...

"They've Bollywood-ised cricket by making stars out of certain players. They give them all the money, all the backup, and when they are not in form, turn the other way. What if the prize money is shared by the entire team? Then, everyone'll be equally motivated, and there'll be no politics"
   – ALYQUE PADAMSEE

"They do not show the door to some so called 'stars' who are nothing but jaded, tired people who're trying to match up to their own act. How can they inspire anyone else to perform?"
   – MILAN LUTHRIA

"If you send a Dinesh Mongia to play when five wickets are down, and only 125 on the scoreboard, and then drop him for the next match because he didn't perform a miracle, that's wrong. That is why the Indian team sees players making a comeback sometimes as many as four times in a year"
   – ARBAAZ KHAN

HOW CRUCIAL A COACH?

The selectors are still arguing this one… though the naysers are 4:1 in favour of Chappell.
Keep Chappell… Milan says, "Keep him as the coach, but put in someone else like Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar, or even Ravi Shastri as an add on." Mandira and Arbaaz feel that this will create pandemonium among already low-on-morale team. "Where is the time for a new coach to try something new? It'll make a basket case out of the already pressurized boys. Let Chappell be," they say. Says Bhatt, "When everyone is making an ass out of themselves, why blame Chappell?" asks Bhatt.
Change Chappell: Says Alyque, "He has picked the right team, but has failed to coach them to win. Maybe because he's out to make a ruthless Aussie team out of our mild boys. We need someone like Nasser Hussain."

Who will choose the actual World Cup team

Dilip Vengsarkar (West Zone, chairman of the selection board); Venkatapathy Raju (South Zone); Sanjay Jagdale (Central Zone); Bhupinder Singh Sr (North Zone); Ranjib Biswal (East Zone)

THE BT PANEL

That thinks the team on this page should be the one going to the World Cup

Alyque Padamse
Theatreperson and ad guru
Cricketers are not just players, they are performers too. Alyque talks of Team India's brand value and acumen

Arbaaz Khan
Actor
This self-confessed cricket freak never misses a big match. Just the reason why he has encyclopedic info of the game

Mahesh Bhatt
Filmmaker
He has a passionate one on cricket. Bhatt continues his tirade against 'star system' here too

Milan Luthria
Filmmaker, is currently making Hatrick
After research on cricket for his film, he knows everything about the game, and more

Mandira Bedi
Cricket show host
"I am an outsider with an inside view," explains Mandira, a veteran of cricket shows 😕😆(yeah right)

So your views...

Should Ganguly be handed the baton ??

Should Laxman be included in the team?

Take your pick of the 16 member squad...

Do you think the current team stands any chance of clinching the world cup.....?? (I sense deja vu,in 2003,India went down in the tubes in New Zealand,where they lost both the test and the one dayers,...They bounced back wonderfully in South Africa??...Can we hope for soemthign similar😃)

Any more experimentations??Or should we stick to the usual team

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sharmii thumbnail

Definitely Ganguly.
He may not be a great player But he is the best captain.And what matters most are the results And India definitely wins under Ganguly.
Infact the Team was so united under him.Today I see insecurities and fear in the Indian dressing at just one loss .They look a dis- united lot.

Talking about the bouncing back at south africa...We cannot call it a bounce back.
After losing soo many matches we had to win something.One of the laws of Nature 😆 .If we win the series Then I would call it a bounce back.I feel its too early to celebrate...

Thirdly....India need o once and for all decide whose gonna play and whose not going too...
Chappels seems unsure of choosing even the Best 30 these days....

My 16 would be

Sachin -
He still is good.
Sehwag
Needs to be supported and not be dropped like ganguly.We cant lose such crucial players at such crucial Times
Ganguly
Captain
Dravid
Vice captain
Dhoni
wicket keeper
Yuvraj
Great player
Kaif
expereinece
Pathan
He can bounce back
Zaheer
experience
Sreesanth
He is proving a lot in SA
Agarkar
experience
Harbahajan

Kumble-Two spinners might be required
Munaf patel
and oh i leave the rest to choice..
Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Sehwag, Ganguly (C), Laxman, Dravid, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Pathan, Zaheer, Sreesanth, Harbahajan, Kumble, Munaf

Keep the Captain, Keep the Coach
Change the Captain, Change the Coach
If you don't win you gotta go,
Eenie meenie miney moe.
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
No one ever expected the 1983 team to come back with the cup....

we have talented players in the team currently...it is just a matter of things going right on the day of the game...
insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: TallyHo

No one ever expected the 1983 team to come back with the cup....

we have talented players in the team currently...it is just a matter of things going right on the day of the game...

Similarly,no one expected India to reacvh the finals of World CUp 2003,especially after the ignominious defeat to Australia in the initial games

India can bounce back,cricket is highly unpredictable,and that's the beauty of the game

My 16 would be

Ganguly(C)

Dravid(V C)

DHoni(W C)

Tendulkar

Laxman

Sehwag

Yuvraj Singh

Mohd Kaif

Kumble

Harbhajan

Irfan Pathan

Munaf Patel

Dinesh Mongia/Suresh Raina

Zaheer Khan

Ashish Nehra/Agarkar

Sreesanth

This team needs to be backed up by the coach(no more experiments please)...

The one reason Australia win is because they BELIEVE they can win,Indians more often then not lack that self belief....

sareg thumbnail
Sehwag - Just needs time to get back his form, lets not burden him with VC till he regains form
Sachin - Vice Captain- experience needed
Dravid - Captain- needs to catch form again
Ganguly(if he stays to current form) or VVS Laxman
Yuvaraj- If he is not fit, replace him with Kaif
Dhoni - WC needs time
Pathan -- need to be steady with him
Agarkar -- he is very good at ODI's
Sreesanth - he is our find, let us ride the hot hand
Kumble - I always wonder why they dont think he is ok for ODI's
Harbhajan - Need another spinner in case the pace attack stinks again
12th Man
Zaheer - In case any of the pacers is not fit
reserves
Ramesh Powar
Kaif
Gautam Gambhir
Stay with the current coach(if he is the problem replace him with Sunil Gavaskar or Sandeep Patil or Ravi Shashra)
Hire a bowling coach - Probably Kapil and Bedi
Gujji_babe thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Because im 4rom South Africa and Im a Hindu, Gujarati as well, I support Mainly South Africa when they play aginst India but I do support India aginst all da oder teams excluding South Africa 😃
sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gujji_babe

Because im 4rom South Africa and Im a Hindu, Gujarati as well, I support Mainly South Africa when they play aginst India but I do support India aginst all da oder teams excluding South Africa 😃

no problems both the teams you support can get to a final, but never win😉

Anoli thumbnail
Originally posted by: a4j4ever

Definitely Ganguly.
He may not be a great player But he is the best captain.And what matters most are the results And India definitely wins under Ganguly.
Infact the Team was so united under him.Today I see insecurities and fear in the Indian dressing at just one loss .They look a dis- united lot.

i agree! Gagnuly is d best as a caption! Even i think he is tryin to improve his game!!! I mean its really not easy for him to deal as he is so much under pressure! Bt i m quite happy wid Ganguly's test performance!!😃😃😃

Take Care

Anoli

xxx

Anoli thumbnail
Originally posted by: Buffie

THE WORLD CUP TEAM WE NEED

Ganguly (Opener & Captain)

We have no choice. There's no replacement for Ganguly. He's an aggressive player, and can keep the scoreboard flying. 

Wiked!!! Ganguly is d best!!!😃

Take Care

Anoli

xxx