I know I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it. Apt! πŸ˜†

Apt?? 😑
Posted: 17 years ago

πŸ˜ƒDid I interpret it differently?

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bunbutt_too

Maya_Mji what is the exact meaning of the phrase you have used "Kya kanoon ke haath lambe hote hain?" The two examples you have cited Siddhu and Salman suggest a)that you mean "lambe" because it takes the law in India forever to get to trial and sentencing; or b) that you mean "lambe" because no matter the length of time the law eventually catches up with the criminal.

The two cases you have cited suggest a) as stated above. The real issue that should be raised here is not "kanoon keh lambe haat a or b" but why are some people above Kanoon's Haath and why others are being drowned by the same Kanoon's Haath. There is a vast array of crimes being perpetuated at any given moment. The only thing relevant and constant in all the crimes big or small is that the law is being broken in some way shape or form, and someone is being victimized.

That being said everyone who has committed a crime should be treated equally, celebrity or not in the eyes of the "Kanoon." However the punishment should be consistent and fitting the crime. In your cited cases the two should face the same music if proven guilty beyond a shadow of doubt as any other person from the aam junta would for similar crimes.

However there is another case that of Sanjay Dutt. Sure he was convicted for violating the laws relating to "illegal possession of arms," but a) this was his first crime, b) he did not kill anyone using the illegal weapons, c) he has already served a 18 month sentence. Given that he should be given a suspended sentence and community service to be completed within a prescribed time frame. That would be fitting punishment and he would not be above and beyond the "kanoon's haath," unlike the Laloo's, Rabdi's, Rahul Mahajan's and hundreds of other politicians, civil servants and what have you. I would like to believe that the courts have not been touched by the ways of the Laloo's, Rabdi's, Rahul Mahajan's and hundreds of other politicians, civil servants and what have you. So lets really create a riot of SMS's and round up everyone in one fell swoop.

That is my two cents worth of wisdom. I rest my case councilor.

Munna Bhai - u are a pro man....πŸ‘ Its a privilege to have members like you on IF.  Not seen, hoping ur busy and would love to hear from you.

On Topic :

Kanoon key hanth lambey hootey... but instances mentioned they are tied up.. for many reasons...

Maya.Raksha,QT and Myth -  opening some great posts  from past... its enlightening to learn DM has some great views and posts... submerged. Regret coming here before😊 . Continue jagaoing aatma of old posts.

What is the reason behind our judiciary turning a blind eye when Salman Khan was proven and charged with similar crime? Why the preferential treatment to him?πŸ˜•

Source: mid-day.com

Harsher sentence for Pereira?
   By: Kiran Tare
   April 30, 2007

According to the law, the police cannot request a retrial, as they have done in the Alistair Pereira case. However, the Supreme Court has recently allowed retrial in some high-profile cases. This recent trend, believe the city's top criminal lawyers, is the base of the police's decision to ask the Bombay High Court for a retrial in the case.

Pereira, accused of killing seven labourers while speeding in November 2006, was convicted for only six months by a Sewri sessions court on April 12, 2007. 

The law permits only appeal in any case and not retrial. But because of SC guidelines, the HC can't stop the police from requesting a retrial. The HC will decide whether their plea should be admitted on May 3.

Noted lawyer Nitin Pradhan said, "Reinves-
tigation is not allowed by the law. In the Best Bakery case, the SC ordered reinvestigation, which was logically wrong. If a certain case has to be reinvestigated, whatever steps had been taken in the past have to be quashed."

Advocate Ashok Saraogi, who represents underworld don Abu Salem, said, "The SC has set a trend to allow retrial for the interest of justice. The SC didn't quote any law while ordering reinvestigation in the Jessica Lal case. Still their decision should be treated as the final word because the SC is the supreme legal authority."

Senior counsel Majid Menon said, "Through the Best Bakery and Bilkis Bano cases, the SC has given powers to the higher courts like the high court to order retrial of any case in case of failure of justice. Retrial means collecting additional evidence and reassessing the old evidence."

When film-TV fraternity is asked about Salman Khan or Sanjay Dutt trial, they keep mum. But they openly voiced their anger against a fairly new actor in Mattoo case and now in Periera's case.πŸ˜•

source: tellychakkar.com

Yet another landmark case in the history of Indian Penal Code. Alistair Pereira's drunken hit and run case allegedly killing seven people has now taken a new turn. With the sessions court sentencing him for six months of imprisonment (saying that it's culpable homicide and not murder), the High court has stepped in suo moto. The case is now being reopened. It will be tried all over again, as an act to deter others from the same.

We asked our TV celebs on whether the 21 year old should be sentenced to igorous imprisonment anticipated and debated to range betwen two to ten yaers for the crime commited.

Aroona Irani:
Of course! Ten years is less, even if he goes for a lifetime he will not be able to get the people back. Nobody has the right to kill anybody. When I read about the six months jail- majak bana ke rakha hai kya? Ten years means the value of one life is only sawa saal? Problem is that people think money can buy you anything, even the law. Koi bhi ho money should not be higher than somebody's life.

Ajay Gehi:
The law should take its own rightful course. He is guilty of murder and he will be punished. And it doesn't really make a difference if he is 21 or 34 years old: what you are as a person does not change. If you like fast cars and bikes you will like it all your life, if you enjoy drinking and driving you will continue to do it irrespective of how old you are. Age really has nothing to do with this! Today, there are so many hit n run cases; someone has to be rightfully punished for it to become an example.

Rajeshwari Sachdev: Rules are rules and they should be followed. If the attitude is: there are so many hit and run cases and this is just another one; then he should be jailed: sab ko dus saal ki sazaa do. The 'why make a big deal attitude' should not prevail. But if we're looking at a 21 year old who has his entire life ahead of him, and we know that he has made the biggest blunder of his life; we should think of an alternative punishment. He should be forbidden from driving all his life and should be made to do community work. Jail is no solution; he will only be an addition to the many in there. One needs to understand that six months or ten years is not going to bring back those lives.

Sachin Sharma:
I will reserve my comment on this issue. Simply because it is a matter of life and my judgement may affect someone's life. I do not know the issue in detail; I have only read it in the papers. I do not want my remark on an issue of this magnitude to impress people to change their stand. What I say will be read and it may just influence others. I do not wish that, please accept my apology, it is after all a matter of someone's life, I can't be frivolous with my opinion.

Ashwini Kalsekar: I am happy that the High Court has taken up the case now. He should be jailed, and I will hold the same opinion for every other adult drinking and driving. It is illegal, period! I believe that a ten year sentence will bring him to his senses and make him a sensitive human being; of course his sentence can be reduced if his conduct in jail is good. I don't pity the boy, he killed seven people; who were probably the only earning members in their families. But I do sympathise with his parents. They must have gone through a lot to bring him up and look at what they have to go through now. Also, think of all the poor people who work during the day mending our streets and sleep in fear of someone driving over them. Alistair will be a lesson for every other reckless drunken driver.

mermaid_QT thumbnail
maya, i see your point!
it is amazing how these articles surface.
these are telly stars. they may have felt the same way about salman. it is also press that keeps these matters selectively suppressed.

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

maya, i see your point!
it is amazing how these articles surface.
these are telly stars. they may have felt the same way about salman. it is also press that keeps these matters selectively suppressed.

QT, Some time back there were some TV and film stars who said Sanjay Dutt and Salman Khan suffered enough and now they should be left off. OFF of what? Why are these people biased and why are some of us?

Is it blind fan following or something more?

sareg thumbnail
indian judiciary is a joke
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

indian judiciary is a joke

Its not the system, but the people that run it 😑 😑 😑