Paramavatar Shri Krishna

Fact-checking the show

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago
Wanted to create this thread to point out the facts of certain events in this show as and when distortions come up, and also have a place for people who are new to the story of Krishna/Hindu scriptures in general to check whether something that was shown is true or at least plausible according to the source material.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
First things first, "Maharaj Vaasudev" is a misnomer. Vasudev (with a short "a", not "Vaasudev" as that's what his son was called) was not a king, and in fact, he was not even from a different kingdom than Devaki. Both were from different factions of the Yadava dynasty - he was a Vrishni and she was from Bhojvansh. Mathura/the wider Vraj territory was governed like a republic, with representatives from each of the Yadava factions having a say. Kans's father Ugrasen (not Devaki's; she was his cousin - the daughter of Ugrasen's brother Devak) was the king/executive leader of this ruling council because of a boon from their common ancestor Yayati. The same boon kept Vasudev's faction (the Vrishnis) from ever taking the throne, which is why Krishna was never crowned as king.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks for opening this thread, Lola! It'll be quite useful to discuss the distortions and facts of the show.
Can you change the title of the thread to Facts/Distortions Thread so that people know what exactly this thread is meant for?
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: MagadhSundari

First things first, "Maharaj Vaasudev" is a misnomer. Vasudev (with a short "a", not "Vaasudev" as that's what his son was called) was not a king, and in fact, he was not even from a different kingdom than Devaki. Both were from different factions of the Yadava dynasty - he was a Vrishni and she was from Bhojvansh. Mathura/the wider Vraj territory was governed like a republic, with representatives from each of the Yadava factions having a say. Kans's father Ugrasen (not Devaki's; she was his cousin - the daughter of Ugrasen's brother Devak) was the king/executive leader of this ruling council because of a boon from their common ancestor Yayati. The same boon kept Vasudev's faction (the Vrishnis) from ever taking the throne, which is why Krishna was never crowned as king.

Going off of this, Vasudev was not the King of Mahishmati. ðŸ˜† The kingdom of Mahishmati is mentioned a few times in the Mahabharat and Ramayan, but it has no relation to the Kurus or the Yadavas. 

Btw, what is the boon you mentioned? I know the Yadavas were the descendants of Yadu, the eldest son of Yayati, but wasn't Yadu cursed by his father? When did he receive a boon from him?
guenhwyvar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

Going off of this, Vasudev was not the King of Mahishmati. ðŸ˜† The kingdom of Mahishmati is mentioned a few times in the Mahabharat and Ramayan, but it has no relation to the Kurus or the Yadavas. 

Btw, what is the boon you mentioned? I know the Yadavas were the descendants of Yadu, the eldest son of Yayati, but wasn't Yadu cursed by his father? When did he receive a boon from him?

Yep, Yadu was cursed that neither he nor his descendants wouldn't rule his father's kingdom (Puru was blessed --> Kuru --> Pandavas) ruled Bharatavarsh.

Some nice family tree charts:

Yadu's descendants included Ugrasena and Vasudev too, and neither ruled Bharatavarsh. Not sure if there is a reason why Ugrasena was the king though Google tells me that Surasena ruled, but Vasudev wanted to take care of cows, so Ugrasena took over. Not sure how valid that is.

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Whoopsie! Thanks Loladi for the thread!
Lets hope (just hope!) that we don't have to put to this to much use! ðŸ˜³
guenhwyvar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: Radhikerani

Whoopsie! Thanks Loladi for the thread!

Lets hope (just hope!) that we don't have to put to this to much use! ðŸ˜³

Given the beginning of the show, I'm guessing this will be quite a popular thread ðŸ¤£
wayward thumbnail
I haven't watched them yet...lets see what they do ahead but! :)
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: guenhwyvar

Yep, Yadu was cursed that neither he nor his descendants wouldn't rule his father's kingdom (Puru was blessed --> Kuru --> Pandavas) ruled Bharatavarsh.

Some nice family tree charts:

Yadu's descendants included Ugrasena and Vasudev too, and neither ruled Bharatavarsh. Not sure if there is a reason why Ugrasena was the king though Google tells me that Surasena ruled, but Vasudev wanted to take care of cows, so Ugrasena took over. Not sure how valid that is.

I know Yadu's descendants could never rule all of Bharatvarsh like the Kuru vansh did, but my question was about the curse restricting Surasena's descendants from ruling Mathura. Mathura, and later Dwaraka was ruled by Ugrasena. Neither Vasudev, Balarama nor Krishna ever ruled, neither were they considered heirs. Why? I think Lola mentioned a separate curse/boon that pertained to the different factions within Yadhav vansh.
wayward thumbnail
I think it has something to do with Mr. Yayati. :)