Writers Corner: Books, Stories & Poems

Indian books and authors - Page 7

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago
Just had to put here, dislike Palace of Illusion so much. It promised a woman's perspective but ultimately reduced the said woman to a fangirl with no brains or individualism. Prefer Leela's book by Alice Albinia instead.

@T- Going to bug you once I am done with this lot. ðŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LeadNitrate thumbnail
Genie

I am always ready to be bugged by you

You introduced me to Those Pricey Thakur Girls as well

Draupadi of Divakaruni is such a one dimensional sex crazed idiot that I cannot even ...
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
LN: Taken down all your suggestions, I am very very dubious but I'll still ask- If you've ever read the Eng translations, do they cover the original texts? In feel, conveyance of language etc?
Devdutt Pattnaik- Sita. Good in parts.

JM- You've a mixed bag so sort through & read what interests you. Good, bad, reductionist, limited or so-so- Ultimately writing is so subjective that One never knows what touches/works/helps/enlightens the other. 😳Edited by Mallika-E-Bhais - 6 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: Justmoi

Is it worse than Flowers in the Attic ? Now that was a surprise and read it in school. ðŸ˜²

Heven't read the book, read the plot in Wikipedia just now

What was that? ðŸ˜² And it might be based on true events? ðŸ˜² You had to read it in school? ðŸ˜²

It was adapted into a movie (psychological horror) once and recently a Lifetime movie, the story is very ideal for Lifetime movies ðŸ˜†

I think G of ST is not as bad as F in the A... I am guessing it's also based on true events from the Authors life... it is set in Kerala

But there are so many great suggestions here, for you to pick
LeadNitrate thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

LN: Taken down all your suggestions, I am very very dubious but I'll still ask- If you've ever read the Eng translations, do they cover the original texts? In feel, conveyance of language etc?

Tagore's own translation is not at all literal imo. He translates the feel of ot.

I found the German version of Gitanjali to be closer to the original than english .

Rest no idea tbh. I haven't read their translation. But if you do read and have difficulty connecting, I can always provide some analysis and explanation

Most though should not be that difficult. Pan Indian societies are more or leas the same.
TotalBetty thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: LeadNitrate

Tagore's own translation is not at all literal imo. He translates the feel of ot.

I found the German version of Gitanjali to be closer to the original than english .

Rest no idea tbh. I haven't read their translation. But if you do read and have difficulty connecting, I can always provide some analysis and explanation

Most though should not be that difficult. Pan Indian societies are more or leas the same.

You know German?
LeadNitrate thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ---Betty---

You know German?

Pretty fluently might I add.
TotalBetty thumbnail
Has anybody here heard of Rebecca Ryman (pen name)  or read her book "Olivia and Jai" and it's sequel? She was an Indian Author, who lived India

Her novels are set in 19th century British India.

Her stories are sad esp "Olivia and Jai" passionate love story but full of MCPs but gives a good understanding of how Indian society functioned then, also historical background 

Local library always carries her books
Edited by ---Betty--- - 6 years ago
This content was originally posted by: LeadNitrate

Ehh ya I can't wait a few years atleast, to be fluent in German to read the translated work. 😆 But it is sad. Maybe I should start pestering my Bong friends to teach me Bengali. Lol

Yes I reckon I should give the translations a try, and if I get stuck you're always there. 😳