Zindagi Ki Mahek

Why I liked yesterday's episode

Vedika211 thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
So all day yesterday I kept posting here that I wanted to see some heart to heart conversation between them, some flirtation but Shaurya realising how Mehak feels and stopping, his acknowledging that he has always felt attracted to her and taking back some of the nasty things he said to her about her physicality and so on. 
Obviously nothing like that happened 😆 And as Tibs said in another post, I'll also chadhao prasad if they ever show any in-depth conversation happening between them! 

Having said that, I also realised (through different conversations on this forum!) that a conversation between them is my expectation, and my idea of romance. I've usually always given movies, tv shows and books the leeway that I watch or read the story the maker wants to tell, rather than the story I want them to tell. And I'm going to give this show the same leeway. 

In spite of all my dashed expectations, I still liked yesterday's episode. And here's why. No, its not because of the kisses or the raging hormones. I'm not that young 😆 It is because they were both perfectly in character yesterday. 

Shaurya has always been someone who is unapologetic about chasing what he wants, and one of the things I love about his character is his disdain of social norms. One of my favourite episodes in the show was the scene at the Pooja when he says that even if he and Mehak had had a physical relationship as consenting adults it was not anyone else's business. He is affectionate with the people he loves (Mom and Nani to be precise) and it is not at all surprising that now that he has accepted to himself that he loves Mehak, he wants to be with her in all ways possible as soon as possible. In fact, anything else would have been out of character for him. 

To me the most interesting part of yesterday's episode was when Mehak pushes him away for the nth time and says no firmly. He actually looked disappointed and hurt and asked her 'par kyun?' and that 'but why' encapsulates exactly how he is feeling. If they both love each other and want to be married then why would she stop him? And she tells him "hamare yaha yeh sab shaadi ke baad'. 

I smiled at the face he made when she said this. I could almost hear Shaurya thinking "kya bakwaas". Mehak herself has never played the wedding card earlier. She has initiated kisses herself many times recently and also kissed him at their first sangeet. As any normal person would kiss their partner in a loving relationship. Not just that, both Nehal and Sonal have not had similar hangups about physical relationships and the show has never judged them for these attitudes. 

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Mehak was wrong in stopping him. She was perfectly in character too. This time round, she wants everything to go right and will probably relax only after they are actually married. In fact, when she realised he was upset she tried to explain her perspective to him - I don't want things to go wrong, I don't want us to be liable for any kind of wrongdoing. And that made him relax and her puppy dog face made him let the entire issue go. 

Again, to just make this very clear, I'm not saying he should have gone on or that her no was yes or any thing like that. When she said no firmly he stopped and that is what I expect from the heroes that I like. But expressing frustration at having to stop is not the same as not stopping, and to me it made perfect sense that he expressed that frustration. 

All morning today I've read interpretations that either think that he is going too fast or up to something wrong and so on. I feel differently about this. I think I can see both their perspectives, and to my mind each one makes perfect sense considering where they are coming from and the sort of people they are. 

Edited by Vedika211 - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tibs09 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Interesting Vedika .. different perspective..
I agree SK is a different ML and his reaction and attitude are always very different.. to what we expect and sometimes our expectations are based on what we have witnessed other ML's do
So you maybe right .. it might all be OK in SK's eyes .. he knows they both love each other and that is enough for him
He anyways is very possessive about her ... and is almost caveman like in protective and stamping his turf..
So he actually did respect her feelings but in his own way and not with out protesting
Shamz15 thumbnail
Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 3
Completely agree with you..
They both were in character ..
For SK he doesn't believe in getting physical only after marriage but for MS she was always clear marriage is a foundation for her.

Even I loved when he made that face ...For a moment Khadoos was back but as soon as he saw her trying to convince him he gave up all his desires 😛

heera1702 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Liked how U have put down the feelings of both. Yes Sk was in character. He was always like this n still he is. Once he decides what he wants, he has the target set n doesn't budge or get disattracted till he reaches the goal. He kept on trying even after she kept on refusing n had to stop after her firm no.  But he was not happy or agreed to her that all this only after marriage. aptly the way u said, kya bakwaas 😆 So i am sure he will not stop trying. But Ms was somewhat put of her character for me. From when they started from Agra she was conscious of his moves, she was not happy or cooperating even just while holding hands, it was like she knew what SK us upto. She knew now that it's a yes for wedding bet them, he will try to go to the next level as she knows his thoughts abt getting intimate, irrespective of they  r married or not. It's enough for him if they r in love, they don't need any rituals to give them the right to be physical. Somehow i felt she still has the trust issues abt him.  She was very uncomfortable bcz of his continuous advances. Can't blame her after what all has hapnd. But will have to mention once more KV n SK were brilliant throughout.Hats off to them they were hot n sensuous. 👏😳
Vedika211 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: tibs09

Interesting Vedika .. different perspective..
I agree SK is a different ML and his reaction and attitude are always very different.. to what we expect and sometimes our expectations are based on what we have witnessed other ML's do
So you maybe right .. it might all be OK in SK's eyes .. he knows they both love each other and that is enough for him
He anyways is very possessive about her ... and is almost caveman like in protective and stamping his turf..
So he actually did respect her feelings but in his own way and not with out protesting

Yes, and they keep giving him the line 'tum sirf meri ho' over and over again! Give it a rest people, we get it. 

Having said that, most people (and this is not essentially tied up with gender) are far more possessive in the initial stages of a relationship. It is also a way of distinguishing the romantic relationship from close friendships with the opposite sex. With time, the relationship changes, and as you spend more time together, a certain sort of security comes in which lessens the possessiveness. Works differently for each couple though 😊

Chandrima, I'm going to steal your quote: free ka gyan hai, chahiye toh le lo 😆
Vedika211 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Shamrouz

Completely agree with you..

They both were in character ..
For SK he doesn't believe in getting physical only after marriage but for MS she was always clear marriage is a foundation for her.

Even I loved when he made that face ...For a moment Khadoos was back but as soon as he saw her trying to convince him he gave up all his desires 😛

See great minds think alike 😊
Vedika211 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: heera1702

Liked how U have put down the feelings of both. Yes Sk was in character. He was always like this n still he is. Once he decides what he wants, he has the target set n doesn't budge or get disattracted till he reaches the goal. He kept on trying even after she kept on refusing n had to stop after her firm no.  But he was not happy or agreed to her that all this only after marriage. aptly the way u said, kya bakwaas 😆 So i am sure he will not stop trying. But Ms was somewhat put of her character for me. From when they started from Agra she was conscious of his moves, she was not happy or cooperating even just while holding hands, it was like she knew what SK us upto. She knew now that it's a yes for wedding bet them, he will try to go to the next level as she knows his thoughts abt getting intimate, irrespective of they  r married or not. It's enough for him if they r in love, they don't need any rituals to give them the right to be physical. Somehow i felt she still has the trust issues abt him.  She was very uncomfortable bcz of his continuous advances. Can't blame her after what all has hapnd. But will have to mention once more KV n SK were brilliant throughout.Hats off to them they were hot n sensuous. 👏😳

Thanks for replying 😃
Yes I agree she has some trust issues. Not necessarily about him per se, but about him and the situation and everything else. And yes its not surprising given everything that has happened between them. 
Vedika211 thumbnail

Thank you 😃
dsr11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Nice post. I too didn't feel neither his eagerness/possessiveness nor Mahek's apprehension wrong. Exclusivity is an important factor in a romantic relationship and they all have varying degrees of possessiveness. I am a person who needs a lot of freedom in a relationship and I do give my husband his space. But I do feel like I have exclusive rights over him. I am too proud to chase people, but in my mind I expect him to love only me forever. Same goes with my husband, I think. In the earlier days of our marriage, whenever I told him that some random guy talked to me in a store, he would complain that I don't wear the wedding band and because of that all those guys are chatting me up.😆 I still don't wear the wedding band everyday, but after 13 years of marriage, my husband knows that I am in too deep to run away from him.😛 So he doesn't complain anymore.
Also, I am not sure if many women say a concrete NO or YES to their partner's sexual advances. A lot of times it may be a confused response because of many things going through their minds. But when it is a serious NO, I am sure most sensible men will understand it. I think in that sense I liked how they both were portrayed.
Edited by dsr11 - 6 years ago
Vedika211 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: dsr11

Nice post. I too didn't feel neither his eagerness/possessiveness nor Mahek's apprehension wrong. Exclusivity is an important factor in a romantic relationship and they all have varying degrees of possessiveness. I am a person who needs a lot of freedom in a relationship and I do give my husband his space. But I do feel like I have exclusive rights over him. I am too proud to chase people, but in my mind I expect him to love only me forever. Same goes with my husband, I think. In the earlier days of our marriage, whenever I told him that some random guy talked to me in a store, he would complain that I don't wear the wedding band and because of that all those guys are chatting me up.😆 I still don't wear the wedding band everyday, but after 13 years of marriage, my husband knows that I am in too deep to run away from him.😛 So he doesn't complain anymore.

Also, I am not sure if many women say a concrete NO or YES to their partner's sexual advances. A lot of times it may be a confused response because of many things going through their minds. But when it is a serious NO, I am sure most sensible men will understand it. I think in that sense I liked how they both were portrayed.

Thank you so much for such a lovely response 😊
You and your husband sound very cute. In my case, I take it so totally for granted that my husband loves me absolutely and unconditionally that I'm totally laid-back. I think if I were ever to act possessive I'm not sure if it would be a pleasant surprise or a shock. 😆
And yes, I think consent is much clearer in non-romantic relationships. In a romantic relationship the issue of consent is so much more murky, as any post-romantic narration of events from the two people involved in the relationship would show. And yes, in most cases, both sensible partners really know when the other person means no and when yes - you convey it through so much more than just your words. And that is why partners who respect each other keep trying to read what the other person is conveying.