Ganguly Back.. yeeee:P - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by Maya_M

We want Ganguly back as Captain. Dravid just doesn't have it.

ok look i don't want to be rude and no offence to you personally, but Ganguly wastes all the balls, in the recent games of India Vs. Bermuda, Gunguly wasted 114 balls and had like 89 runs, and Sehwag had the opposite, he had 114 runs and 87 balls and Dravid on the other hand had 7 runs over 2 balls (cuz hte overs were over), as far as i remember, Gunguly was tough as a captain and that is needed as a quality being a captain, but Dravid can do it too, don;t underestimate him, he ahs been playing since a long time and i think he has more experience than Ganguly, then why? why can't Dravid be a captain?, i do beleive that Dravid will do a muich better job than Ganguly, i really regret htat Ganguly is back, i was hoping he wouldn't play in this World cup, but unfortuantly he is!, and about ur signature words, i know i shouldn't comment on them but i can't help it i am too obssessed with ICC, and have to comment on everything, but i believe that if it is Ganguly or Dravid, what matters is the team, is they are together, then it will be good for the team and for us, the important part is that they are a team, they represent us, us Indians, and we have hope in them, and i would say i hope every member of the team plays well in each game! cross my fingers i really want INdia to win htis World cup, atleast come till the finals!๐Ÿ˜ณ

Originally posted by chatbuster

yes, great that Ganguly is back. it'll be great now if we can see the back of chapell, dravid and tendulkar. for good. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I agree with all 3, except the last๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Originally posted by angelaisha

ok look i don't want to be rude and no offence to you personally, but Ganguly wastes all the balls, in the recent games of India Vs. Bermuda, Gunguly wasted 114 balls and had like 89 runs, and Sehwag had the opposite, he had 114 runs and 87 balls and Dravid on the other hand had 7 runs over 2 balls (cuz hte overs were over), as far as i remember, Gunguly was tough as a captain and that is needed as a quality being a captain, but Dravid can do it too, don;t underestimate him, he ahs been playing since a long time and i think he has more experience than Ganguly, then why? why can't Dravid be a captain?, i do beleive that Dravid will do a muich better job than Ganguly, i really regret htat Ganguly is back, i was hoping he wouldn't play in this World cup, but unfortuantly he is!, and about ur signature words, i know i shouldn't comment on them but i can't help it i am too obssessed with ICC, and have to comment on everything, but i believe that if it is Ganguly or Dravid, what matters is the team, is they are together, then it will be good for the team and for us, the important part is that they are a team, they represent us, us Indians, and we have hope in them, and i would say i hope every member of the team plays well in each game! cross my fingers i really want INdia to win htis World cup, atleast come till the finals!๐Ÿ˜ณ

Oh boy, This was one game you are talking about. From whatever little I know about Cricket, it has been Dravid who's known as a slow player as he is known for his poor strike rate.

Dravid has been hailed as the wall coz he guards his wicket like anything, irrespective of whether he's putting any runs on the scoreboard.

Now, I don't hate Dravid, quite contrary actually!

But when it comes to Captaincy, Ganguly has been the best we ever had and with the way things are probably the best we ever will. Being a player and leading the side are separate responsibilities. Tendulkar was in top form when he was assigned the captaincy but being the best player didn't come with a guarantee of leadership skills. Tendulkar didn't have it in him to lead a team like Sourav did. Sourav has the killer instinct which in my opinion is required of a good leader. Dravid maybe the best player on the team but if he can't instill the need to win matches, and can't bring fierce team spirit, then he fails miserable as a captain.

It's too late to hand back the captaincy to Ganguly with the world cup well underway, but I would have preferred to have Ganguly lead the team with his characteristic attitude.

You are right about it being a team game and all. But I see nothing wrong with the siggy! It's an opinion and it's a public forum. As much as I would have preferred Ganguly as captain, having Rahul instead does not lessen my support. It's ultimately the team that's gonna win. So all the best to Rahul and his boys. I really hope they work magic on the 23rd. *fingers crossed*

Originally posted by angelaisha

ok look i don't want to be rude and no offence to you personally, but Ganguly wastes all the balls, in the recent games of India Vs. Bermuda, Gunguly wasted 114 balls and had like 89 runs, and Sehwag had the opposite, he had 114 runs and 87 balls and Dravid on the other hand had 7 runs over 2 balls

exterpolating from 2 balls into a career? there have been countless times he's played slow and single-handedly brought down india's run rate in game after game๐Ÿ˜‰

(cuz hte overs were over), as far as i remember, Gunguly was tough as a captain and that is needed as a quality being a captain, but Dravid can do it too, don;t underestimate him,

that would be hard to do. underestimate him. mostly the trouble is in overestimating him๐Ÿ˜›

he ahs been playing since a long time and i think he has more experience than Ganguly, then why? why can't Dravid be a captain?,

maybe that's because his job performance sucks?๐Ÿ˜†

i do beleive that Dravid will do a muich better job than Ganguly,

like the job dravid has already done? taking a team that was a top performer and making it the butt of jokes? heavens no๐Ÿ˜›

i really regret htat Ganguly is back, i was hoping he wouldn't play in this World cup, but unfortuantly he is!, and about ur signature words, i know i shouldn't comment on them but i can't help it i am too obssessed with ICC, and have to comment on everything, but i believe that if it is Ganguly or Dravid, what matters is the team, is they are together, then it will be good for the team and for us, the important part is that they are a team, they represent us, us Indians, and we have hope in them, and i would say i hope every member of the team plays well in each game! cross my fingers i really want INdia to win htis World cup, atleast come till the finals!๐Ÿ˜ณ

good that ganguly is back. one of the few hopes for the team๐Ÿ˜‰

Originally posted by sunp

yippee a old friend is back!!! but really do we hand over the keys to lockers to him?

oh and yeah Sachin and Sourav are so done from being the captains of the team, they are the past, this is their last world cup, let them contribute, if possible, can we get behind the man who leads us and look forward ๐Ÿ˜‰ , next thing we hear we want Kapil Paji back, as Captain, he won us the last world cup ๐Ÿ˜‰

if track record is anything to go by, then if india'll do well, it'll be inspite of dravid. not because of him๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago

๐Ÿ˜†

Ah Track History, you should really have checked the stats before saying that๐Ÿ˜‰, you are catching habits from someone๐Ÿ˜†

Mat  Runs  HS   BatAv 100  50   W    BB  BowlAv 5w  Ct St

1999         &a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;n bsp;        8   461 145   65.85   2   3   -   -       -    -   2  0
                             7   379 183   54.14   1   1   6  3/27   32.50  0   0  0

2003         &a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;n bsp;       11   318  62   63.60   0   2   -   -       -    -  15  1
                            11   465 112*  58.12   3   0   3  3/22   29.33  0   1  0

Total         & amp; amp; amp; amp; nbsp;   21   800 145   61.53   2   5   -   -       -    -  17  1
                      20   999 183   58.76   4   3   9  3/22   31.44  0   1  0

Black is Dravid/ Red is Sourav

Against Bangladesh, Bermuda, Kenya, Namibia, Netherlands

Sourav is 395/999 , against 133/800 by Dravid

against rest

Sourav is 604/999, and Dravid is 667/800

Sourav comes up big against minnows and small against major players, Dravid is opposite

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=compare;playerid=2281;cla ss=odiplayer;filter=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition= 0;season=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;gro undid=0;startdefault=1996-04-03;start=1996-04-03;enddefault= 2007-03-19;end=2007-03-19;tourneyid=2;finals=0;daynight=0;to ss=0;scheduledovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;fol lowon=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recent=;runs low=;runshigh=;batposition=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;balls low=;ballshigh=;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchig h=;wicketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshigh=;c aughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow=;stumpedhigh=; viewtype=com_compare;csearch=Sourav%20Ganguly;cplayerid=2024 ;comparetype=aro_summary;compare=1;.cgifields=cplayerid;.cgi fields=comparetype

Let us not even talk about Sachin, just thing 2003

Sometimes I am so tempted to assume a signature

Get your facts first, then twist them to your liking๐Ÿ˜‰

but someone took that earlier๐Ÿ˜†

haha, you went to all that extent๐Ÿ˜†

well, while you are at it, how about getting strike rate as well? so many games that rahul dravid lost for us because he stayed at the crease too long collecting his runs, the same runs that you dug up๐Ÿ˜‰. incidentally, there's not much inference to be drawn from the minor statistical differences you came up with. too much volatility in the individual numbers, thereby raising the standard error. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

also, on the qualitative level, dravid was just a more selfish player whereas saurav was playing for the team.๐Ÿ˜‰ because of dravid, others had to step up the strike rate, often getting out sooner than they would have otherwise.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰ so one shld try to go beyond those superficial numbers you came up with.๐Ÿ˜‰

also, from the looks of it, we'd be better off today if we could simply learn to play well against the minnows. remember bangladesh the minnow?๐Ÿ˜‰

if we should sack anyone, it should be dravid. cant even score against the minnows and has taken the team down with him. requires some chutzpah to say after the banglades match that the middle order did not score. well, for sure he did not score. he shld stop passing the buck down๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜†

Ah Track History, you should really have checked the stats before saying that๐Ÿ˜‰, you are catching habits from someone๐Ÿ˜†

Mat  Runs  HS   BatAv 100  50   W    BB  BowlAv 5w  Ct St

1999         &a mp;a mp;n bsp;        8   461 145   65.85   2   3   -   -       -    -   2  0
                             7   379 183   54.14   1   1   6  3/27   32.50  0   0  0

2003         &a mp;a mp;n bsp;       11   318  62   63.60   0   2   -   -       -    -  15  1
                            11   465 112*  58.12   3   0   3  3/22   29.33  0   1  0

Total         & amp; amp; nbsp;   21   800 145   61.53   2   5   -   -       -    -  17  1
                      20   999 183   58.76   4   3   9  3/22   31.44  0   1  0

Black is Dravid/ Red is Sourav

Against Bangladesh, Bermuda, Kenya, Namibia, Netherlands

Sourav is 395/999 , against 133/800 by Dravid

against rest

Sourav is 604/999, and Dravid is 667/800

Sourav comes up big against minnows and small against major players, Dravid is opposite

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=compare;playerid=2281;cla ss=odiplayer;filter=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition= 0;season=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;gro undid=0;startdefault=1996-04-03;start=1996-04-03;enddefault= 2007-03-19;end=2007-03-19;tourneyid=2;finals=0;daynight=0;to ss=0;scheduledovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;fol lowon=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recent=;runs low=;runshigh=;batposition=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;balls low=;ballshigh=;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchig h=;wicketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshigh=;c aughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow=;stumpedhigh=; viewtype=com_compare;csearch=Sourav%20Ganguly;cplayerid=2024 ;comparetype=aro_summary;compare=1;.cgifields=cplayerid;.cgi fields=comparetype

Let us not even talk about Sachin, just thing 2003

Sometimes I am so tempted to assume a signature

Get your facts first, then twist them to your liking๐Ÿ˜‰

but someone took that earlier๐Ÿ˜†

I like all three of them (Ganguly, Dravid & Tendulkar). I don't know what exactly you wanted to convey with the stats but how does it hurt to be the most successful batsman against the minnows, you still need to win the match and you need someone to score the runs. If Dravid and Tendulkar could have done that maybe it wouldn't have costed us the match against Bangladesh. Moreover Ganguly has scored more runs in less innings and about the average that's there you did not give the no. of times Dravid remained Not Out.

Edited by souro - 17 years ago
Originally posted by souro

I like all three of them (Ganguly, Dravid & Tendulkar). I don't know what exactly you wanted to convey with the stats but how does it hurt to be the most successful batsman against the minnows, you still need to win the match and you need someone to score the runs. If Dravid and Tendulkar could have done that maybe it wouldn't have costed us the match against Bangladesh. Moreover Ganguly has scored more runs in less innings and about the average that's there you did not give the no. of times Dravid remained Not Out.

but wat has master blaster done for us lately? like in the last 5 years? or is that 10 years now?๐Ÿ˜†

master blaster๐Ÿ˜†. all we have are the bowlers blasting his wickets๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by chatbuster

but wat has master blaster done for us lately? like in the last 5 years? or is that 10 years now?๐Ÿ˜†

master blaster๐Ÿ˜†. all we have are the bowlers blasting his wickets๐Ÿ˜†

I also wonder about it sometimes, especially when he was persisted with even after repeated failures in recent times. If Ganguly or Sehwag can be dropped and even Dravid was dropped early in his career, then why is Tendulkar treated as an exception. I don't question his ability as such but when he's not in form then why unnecessarily turn the team into a ten man unit.

And talking about minnows, it's better to score runs against second rung bowlers than repeatedly get out to a second rung bowler like Abdur Razzaq.๐Ÿ˜‰

Edited by souro - 17 years ago
I believe that Rahul is a better player and Ganguly is the better captain ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Anyways I am so happy because of huge win of Srilanka over Bangladesh yesterday.... It gave a great scope to India.... because even if India wins with lower margins by making score above 275..... it has more than 85% chances of advancing to the Super 8 based on runrate..... then only miracles can get Bangladesh the run rate as much as India ๐Ÿ˜ƒ