no never

EvilR Senior Member
EvilR
EvilR

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 7:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Arsal-

Sundance 2017;

Call Me By Your Name:

Beautiful, poetic, sensual and heartbreaking, Luca Guadagnino's Call me by your Name (adapted from the novel of the same name) is a miracle.

Italy of 1983, Ellio (Timothee Chamlet), a 17 years old and intellectually beyond his years, arrives with his parents at their villa for the summer. Every year his father picks a graduate student to come live with them the holidays. Enter Oliver (Armie Hammer), a handsome, confident and intelligent, 24 year old American. Ellio is immediately drawn to Oliver and maybe, just maybe Oliver too reciprocates those feelings. Ellio, wise and brave as he is, can't bear to not say anything, to not find out for himself and let what he feels go by.

What follows is a tale of two people trying to find themselves and each other before their time, their chance at living this powerful feeling is lost forever. Ellio and Oliver achieve the kind of closeness where you become the other person inside out hence the title. The kind of love that is profound and everlasting, that changes you forever.  

I don't think I have seen a movie that is so honest in what it says, about desire and passion, about love, intimacy and ultimately loss and the pain of it all, about growing up. It is filled with discussions on music, on philosophy, on history and about life.

My only complain is that the move doesn't show the last 40 odd pages of the book. If they had, it would have gone down as one for the ages. The last few pages are gut wrenching, and say so much about so many things. The books achieves something akin to Proust's "In Search of Lost Time". But after hearing the director, I understand why they chose not to put that to screen.

Near the end, the movie features a monologue delivered by a father to his son(Michael Stulburg) that is so kind, so pure and moving, in its humanity, in its acceptance, in the wisdom it imparts that is glows like the Sun, basking everyone and everything in its warmth, its beauty. It is gift to Ellio and to all of us lucky enough to witness it. Every parent, every person should aspire to be like that, to uphold those values. Lifted almost directly from the book, it is a masterclass in writing, in acting and film-making.

One of the best films I have ever seen, Call Me by Your Name is the kind of movie that has the power to move, to inspire and to change one for the better. I fell in love with Ellio, Oliver and their world, even more than before (a feat I thought impossible considering how much I adore the book). It is simply breathtaking and unforgettable.

10/10.

OMG you get to watch Call Me By Your Name! I envy you to death now Cry

And what do you mean by they doesnt show the last 40 pages? No holiday in Rome? Cry

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-

Tani91 IF-Sizzlerz
Tani91
Tani91

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged
I saw Dangal yesterday - LOVED it! My fave sports related biopic so far from
Bollywood, mainly because they showed only the girls sports and not on the other things like romance and what not. The girls were really good, Aamir wa brilliant Clap he carried the film all the way and I loved how his character encouraged Geeta and that clash with the coach(apparently that didn't happen with the real life Geeta). However when the movie started it kinda felt very sexist and disgusting at how he didn't even take into consideration of the girls choices and just thrust them into wrestling without even asking that if they wanted to do it, but he did acknowledge it in the end, but still that one point really bothered me Ouch I hope the real life guy didn't do that.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Remus.Lupin4-Swetha-

Chudailpaapi IF-Dazzler
Chudailpaapi
Chudailpaapi

BollyCurry Editor

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged
Dum laga ke Haisha - Turned out to be quite good.

Watching Manga comic movies. Black Butler series is Heart

-Swetha-

Remus.Lupin4 IF-Dazzler
Remus.Lupin4
Remus.Lupin4

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged
Hidden Figures: Powerful, and glorious women.. As we like to say never ever forget the women who paved the way before you.this movies goes on my repeat list... every single one of them is inspiring and how hard the times were back then. 

'I will have you know, I was the first negro female student at West Virginia university graduate school. On any given day, I analyze the binomial levels air displacement, friction and velocity. And compute over ten thousand calculations by cosine, square root and lately analytic geometry. By hand. There are twenty, bright, highly capable negro women in the west computing group, and we're proud to be doing our part for the country. So yes, they let women do some things at NASA, Mr. Johnson. And it's not because we wear skirts. It's because we wear glasses. Have a good day.'

Edited by Remus.Lupin4 - 05 February 2017 at 2:52pm

-Swetha-

MinzPie IF-Sizzlerz
MinzPie
MinzPie

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 3:06pm | IP Logged
just finished watching MSDhoni..I loved every minute of it.Dhoni is someone I love/admire and respect..both the girls were amazing.SSR did a great job,not for even a second did I feel it was SSR playing dhoni's role,it was dhoni himself..

Edited by MiniRulz - 05 February 2017 at 3:17pm

-Swetha-

Pehchaan.Kaun IF-Rockerz
Pehchaan.Kaun
Pehchaan.Kaun

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 11:19pm | IP Logged
Dhanak. 

Heart Splendid movie. Specially people who have bro/sis. Day Dreaming
Arya_Stark Goldie
Arya_Stark
Arya_Stark

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 1:00pm | IP Logged
Kaabil
Kept wondering throughout the film that how could the dialogue writer write such crass and cheap dialogues?! Even TV serials have better dialogues! And the director Sanjay Gupta...he has been directing for so many years still can't direct a decent movie Stern Smile
The story was quite ordinary and couldn't hold my interest. I forwarded quite a few scenes as they looked repetitive and boring. Can't understand why some people are praising it so much online .

Edited by veerzara - 06 February 2017 at 1:03pm

Go to top