Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Recently Seen Movies - 10 (Page 115)

Angel-likeDevil IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged
Planet Earth series(2006) 

This is a nature documentary produced by BBC, narrated by David Attenborough. There are several episodes, covering different dimensions of life on Earth, in different biomes and habitats - like poles, freshwater, deserts, caves, plains, and so on :) I have yet to see remaining 4, but what a beautiful show.. our Earth is so breath-takingly beautiful, mysterious, magical.. my words are useless, I could just sit there and watch these series over and over.

One thing has been reinforced for me though, that every creature on the planet struggles for life.. it's a harshly beautiful world, and if there's anything that we all find solace in, it's love and hope. 

And, the way this series has been shot - the direction and the kind of scenes shown in the series, I can only wonder at the level of hardwork put into capturing those rare glimpses of life.. Clap 

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 16 February 2018 at 10:36am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DejaPoo Goldie

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged
@ALD - A very short brief of the movies you asked for.

Coco - Story is good. Very much like a telenovela, but what a drag man. Could have been lot more crisper. 

Sullu - Enjoyed it. Nice slice of life movie. Was going to be thoroughly disappointed with the ending, when she was leaving the job, however it managed to save face. The ending was a bit confusing, could have been more clear and crisp. 

Secret Superstar - I had posted about it in the CC will copy paste the same here. 

Watched Secret superstar yesterday. 

At the time it had released, had read about a spoiler saying the mother and daughter together kill the father in the end. At that time I realised it to be a joke of course, or maybe not (You never now). Did not bother checking up on it either. 

Yesterday while watching the movie, somewhere deep down was expecting the spoiler to be true. Now that would have been something unexpected. Would have probably stayed / scarred in the audience's mind longer.

Otherwise, found it pretty ok. Dragged in a lot of places. Infact I watched it till the end only in the hopes of something similar happening on the lines of the above soiler. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DejaPoo Goldie

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged
Also ALD if possible, try watching Mozart in the Jungle series. 
Full of music and the psyche of a musician. I loved it. Especially the main protagonist's character and the acting as well. 

Edited by DejaPoo - 16 February 2018 at 11:49am

Himalaya10 Senior Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 8:14pm | IP Logged

Black Panther

Ok I saw this movie, as I was expecting it...

Venue: Mega Mall Sharjah, 2:20 pm

Here is the first superhero movie with a predominantly all-African/African-American cast. As someone who would love to see Africa portrayed in a positive light, having lived in certain parts of the continent for many years, Black Panther was a source of great excitement for me, such that, I was worried my bias would prevent it from reviewing it fairly.

It's a relief to see a movie self-contained within the MCU that does not exist solely to set up another Avengers team up movie. Instead, what we have is a storyline that is typical and told many-a-time, how do you reconcile your past to move your nation forward boldly into the future. But in a tantalising parallel to present times, Black Panther imagines a Wakanda where resources are plentiful yet have to be hidden from the rest of the world, similar to the state of exploration of oil and minerals in Southern Africa. More importantly, it showcases how tribalism and the ambitions of one man can lead to division and disunity, which is a warning against for-life dictators that have brought many of Africa's countries to their knees.

Direction, script and technical aspects

This movie has a different feel to it from what has come before in the MCU, and that is largely due to the independent vision of Ryan Coogler and his technical team. The cinematography by Rachel Morrison is breathtaking, both highlighting the natural beauty of Wakanda, especially the thundering waterfalls and its futuristic technological world. Adding to the authentic nature of the movie is Ludwig Goransson's terrific score, both melodious and appropriately rousing, and Ruth E Carter's colourful costumes. Though the movie's runtime is 2 hours and 15 minutes, Coogler keeps us engaged for the most part. There are so many memorable scenes to keep track of, from the ritualistic combat scenes to the South Korean car chase, and the climatic UN speech as well. Yet Coogler doesn't quite manage to bring out the motivation of N'Djadaka (Micheal Kilmonger) beyond the 'King's father killed my dad' bit and Andy Serkis just seems to be having some fun without having much importance in the plot narrative, yet again illustrating how poorly Marvel develop their villains.

At the same time, the progressiveness of the movie is laudable, having a 16 year old woman be in charge of the nation's technology, and the importance of the female warriors in supporting King T'Challa. The movie also speaks about the importance of identity and roots between African-Americanism and Africanism, and the climax scene was very interesting for its reversal of the usual paternal relationship between the two groups.

The movie belongs to Chadwick Boseman, who imbues T'Challa with majesty, dignity and a kingly air. His transformation from uncertain king to powerful and decisive statesman is the key highlight of the film. Lupita Nyongo, Danai Gurrira and Letitia Wright make for a powerful trio of performers, while Forest Whitaker gets a moving role to play with after a while. Micheal B Jordan's performance is appropriately menacing but his character arc underdeveloped. Martin Freeman seemed to be playing the Hobbit over again.

Black Panther is an important movie, it must be said, for many reasons that have been debated by commentators. But importance doesn't matter, if a movie isn't entertaining enough. And that, Black Panther, most definitely is. This has to be right up there among the best MCU movies ever.

I tell ya,...

This movie has all the reasons to grab the attention of Marvel Fans. First, its the first all-black cast (Exception of Andy Serkis & Martin Freeman) from MCU. Infact I don't recall any black superhero movie other than Blade. Secondly, the impact created by the character in Civil War. Thirdly, the makers behind delivered Creed & Fruitville Station. Finally, the movie before Avengers Infinity War.

The movie starts off where Civil War ended where Prince T'Chall (Chadwick Boseman) takes over Wakanda to be their new King. Incomes Eric (Michael Jordan) who has a reason to challenge the newly crowned king along with multiple other issues.

Despite the wafer-thin plot which reminds you of some Bollywood Movies, Ryan Coogler took this opportunity to address the issues faced by the blacks on a big scale despite keeping it as the undercurrent below some humongous action sequences & set pieces. But not taking White v.s Black, here the politics were among themselves and how one decides to share the power while the other decides to keep it to themselves due to fear of catastrophe. Since there was an interval break during my show, the first 1 hour was used for establishing Wakanda and its characters in the MCU. To be honest, this is the fastest 1 hour among all MCU movies I have seen (Some I saw without any breaks). Some glamorous action sequences and art pieces along with slight rivalries of T'Challa, it moved at a riveting pace. The second half did carry great pace but given more focus to the politics. But I wish the plot justified these politics.

Performances from the cast were top notch as usual and we can feel the excitement displayed by the cast mainly due to the Black Effect. Chadwick Boseman might have the best role among all MCU superheroes because his character got more space to display human emotions despite the superhero tag. This was more T'Challa than Black Panther. Michael B Jordan looked dominant in all scenes. The female trio (Lupita, Letita & Danai) was simply terrific. Then other noticeable faces were Forest Whitalker, Danai (Get Out firm) & Winston Duke in some well written role. Martin Freeman replayed the confused geek amongst chaos image while Andy Serkis continued from where he left off in Age of Ultrons.

Outstanding CGI, Terrific Frames covering the landscape of Africa as well as the futuristic style Wakanda. Action sequences were not all about CGI which is a welcome change despite the CGI Korean chase being the highlight.

I wish Black Panther had a better plot because Ryan delivered the stuff despite that negative which is simply terrific. But a movie to establish in MCU, it has done a phenomenal job. Long Live The King!!!

BTW, the pic uploaded is the complimentary poster given to the fans who attended Paytm Premiere. There were complimentary popcorn & drinks. Now, thats a nice gesture. Also, it was an enthusiastic crowd which is quite rare in Pune. The noise was loudest when the below line was displayed.

Verdict: Majestic
Rating: 3.5 / 5

Edited by Himalaya10 - 16 February 2018 at 8:20pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Himalaya10 Senior Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged
The Shape of Water

For those who can recall Speilberg's all time classic, E:T - The Extra Terrestrial, the theme of The Shape of Water might bring you some memories. E:T was about a fatherless boy who discovers an alien and keeps its as a secret which led to strong bond until the science team finds E:T and takes away from him. The boy rescues E:T and sends him home.

Now Guillermo del Toro is aware of E:T and this might have been the basic source of inspiration for del Toro to make this movie. Infact he changed the whole dimension by bringing a romantic angle to the movie. Instead of the boy, he uses a mute young lady, Elisa (Sally Hawkins) who encounters a creature at her workplace and develops a bond with it. Later they start to share a romantic relationship which leads to the rescue mission. And the movie doesn't end there.

While E:T & the boy shared an almost father-son relationship, Del Toro brings the romantic angle quite convincingly despite very few scenes and lines. Its easily established that the lead character was a prisoner of her daily routine and her only friend outside workplace happens to be a lonely old man. What I loved about this movie is that Del Toro didn't take treat it an arthouse movie despite the mood. Also he introduces an antagonist to his E:T version along with then era politics of cold war. The pace was even yet never gave a moment of boredom. The climax is ambiguous unlike E:T. He played down or avoided all sort of filmy elements and melodrama which was expected in these kinda movies.

Sally Hawkins was terrific as Elisa. She ably supported by Michael Shannon & Richard Jenkins who played two contrasting characters in the movie. Octavia Spencer was outstanding as the motor-mouthed colleague. Michael Stulhbarg also left an impression.

As expected, the Pan's Labyrinth director was top notch with his technical team. This movie is hugely recommended for those who would like to see a very different approach to E:T in Del Toro style.

Ratings - 3.75 / 5

Edited by Himalaya10 - 16 February 2018 at 8:26pm

Himalaya10 Senior Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 9:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by here4reviews

Never in this lifetime did I think I would watch a film on menstruation and sanitary pads in a public theatre with my whole family who have always brushed this whole topic aside at home and have given weird reasons for not entering temples or the whole alienation of a women. High time the tax imposed on pads come down in the country or even better, be tax free.

You sure remind me this guy,.. who was on TED for his Video and story of real life,...
Ogreatone Goldie

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 3:38am | IP Logged
Saw Hindi medium

It was a decent watch but kinda overrated. I don't like irfan but he did well. Deepak dobriyal was nice as well. Saba seemed annoying. I don't what to say but it felt underwhelming

I think it only ran cause of the songs LOL LOL

starstruckk IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged
Review for Padmaavat (posted in its review thread as well):
I saw Padmaavat yesterday night.
Surprisingly, I've watched all three movies of SLB's with Ranveer  and Deepika (not sure why, I can't stand SLB's films), and this is perhaps my favorite out of the three. I walked in with average expectations, and I won't say I was blown away, but I enjoyed this film the most as opposed to  Ram Leela/BM. 

The actors were all wonderful (maybe apart from Shahid - somewhat). Ranveer was my absolute favorite. Let me say that despite being a Ranveer fan, I didn't find his performances in any of his prior SLB films great (may be the minority). Well, I thought he was good in RL, but RL was a disaster overall for me...and couldn't stand him in BM. However, he blew me away as Khilji. One thing I absolutely loved about his portrayal was how really worked on his dialogue delivery. He was very clear and his Urdu was on point. I know many people have criticized how he tends to mumble his dialogues, but he was wonderful here. Apart from dialogues, his entire performance is praiseworthy. Let me put it this way, I would actually yawn at times during the movie because it's long and historical movies aren't exactly my thing either, but as soon as Ranveer would come on, I'd be awake. It's evident he worked his ass off for this role, and I loved it.

Shahid was meh for me on the other hand. I don't know what happened, but he bored me to death. He didn't look his character either..or maybe it was just me. Ranveer completely overshadowed him. Don't have much to say about Shahid otherwise.

Deepika was wasted I felt. She excelled in the end with the jauhar scene. She was quite amazing actually, and I say this as someone who isn't her fan. One thing that really bothered me was how for someone who's supposed to be extremely beautiful (Padmavati), Deepika did not look her best. Aditi looked far more beautiful to me than Deepika - the irony. Deepika just did not have that glow on her face..or maybe it was the unibrow. LOL..but honestly, she has looked way better in a lot of her other movies. Aditi and Jim were amazing.. Jim was on point as Malik Kafur - loved his portrayal. 

The music apart from Khalibali was blah. The cinematography was great. The movie dragged at some points, but I enjoyed it overall because of Ranveer. I'm not sure what to say about SLB's direction as I feel he relies heavily on his actors and I think Ranveer really helps the film pull through (along with all the publicity it received recently). 

3/5 from me...

Go to top