Sanjay Dutt found guilty!!

kirtib thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Sanjay Dutt guilty of possessing weapons, absolved of conspiracy ...

http://www.india-forums.com/news/article.asp?id=11097

Mumbai, Nov 28 (IANS) Sanjay Dutt, one of Bollywood's hottest stars, appeared headed for jail Tuesday after a special court found him guilty of illegal possession of arms, but absolved him of the charges of the larger conspiracy in the 1993 Mumbai terror bombings that killed 257 people.

Dutt immediately applied for bail in the special Terrorism and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court. The bail appeal would be heard in the afternoon. If rejected, Dutt would have to go straight to jail for a minimum of one year to a maximum of 10 years under the Arms Act.

The star - on whom several top-notch Bollywood producers are banking on, especially after the phenomenal success of his latest starrer 'Lage Raho Munnabhai' - has already spent 18 months in jail in 1993-94, which would be taken into consideration.

However, Dutt was acquitted of the charge of conspiracy and of helping terrorists under TADA.

'After due reasoning during the trial, I did not find him to be a terrorist,' special judge P.D. Kode said while reading out the verdict.

A visibly tense Dutt, who had been sitting quietly in the last row of the courtroom, was called to the stand at 12.40 p.m. When the judge was reading out the verdict, he was shaking.

'Can you hear me for two minutes please?' Dutt asked Kode after the verdict.

The judge replied: 'I will give you a chance to clarify later, but not now.'

A red-eyed Dutt, who was dressed in his trademark frayed jeans and a red and grey checked shirt, had discarded his usual lucky blue shirt for what was being described as the most important day of his life. He had arrived in court in a convoy of 25 cars.

Soon after the verdict was read out, his 'Munnabhai' co-star Arshad Warsi said: 'It could have been worse. I pray he comes out well.'

Former Mumbai police commissioner A.S. Samra said: 'The prosecution's case has been vindicated.'

The 47-year-old actor faced charges of possessing an AK-56 rifle and a 9 mm pistol, ammunition and hand grenades, which were part of the smuggled arms consignment meant for the bombings and apparently given to him by members of the underworld.

He has been convicted under Section 3 and 7 of the Arms Act. While the first section deals with the possession of pistol and cartridges, the second focuses on the prohibitory arms like AK-56.

Do u think Sanjay Dutt our Munnabhai who on one hand teaches us the principle of Gandhiasm should be convicted or he has suffered enough!!

Do share your views..

Edited by kirtib - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
oh god i had forgotten his verditc was goin to be out today

i dont know what to say

all i say now is its too bad just when he is havin such a good run at the box office

i think he has suffered enough

he shud be pardoned
remixer thumbnail
I agree but woh aaj news aa rahi thi ke usko mil sakti hai Vo bail till 19th of Dec...Usne court main kaha ke 'I am the only one who eans in the family'
insurance thumbnail
Sanjay is not under the TADA.But since he is found guilty, there are chances of neary 1 to 5 years. As per the latest news, sanjay has got a bail until dec 19th. later whether the bail continues or we would be jailed will be decided on 19th only.

I am praying to god that nothing should happen to him. I have seen some of the bollywood stars who have done so much but they somehow escape. Our sanju being accepted for being guilty, i hope they consider and give him a bail. His father has really struggled a lot with him. Atleast now after his father's death i hope sanju is able to give some piece of mind by praying to is father who is up. I request all of u to please pray for him. So that he could get bail.
greatmaratha thumbnail
Just proves that politics and money can do anything in todays world. They have dropped the charges of conspiracy against him in favour of a charge of possessing arms, the sentence being between one to 10 years. He has served 18 months already, so they might just set it off against term served 🤢

For a crime as heinous as aiding and abetting an act of terrorism which took the lives of hundreds of innocent people, these guys should be put behind bars.

So what if he is a good actor, or if his father did good deeds, fact of the matter remains that he agreed to accept the fire arms, with the full knowledge of its intended use, the extent of the act of terror which was being planned. There was cold blooded intention behind the whole act, so all other virtues need to take a back seat in the face of such inhuman acts.

I havent had a chance to see the report, will wait to read the whole report and then see how much the judiciary has bent backwards to accomodate politicians, their games and their "principles".
greatmaratha thumbnail

Originally posted by: remixer

.Usne court main kaha ke 'I am the only one who eans in the family'

Do you know how many such "only earning member of family" guys lost their lives in the bomb blast.

I am personally aware of three guys, one who was in the Air India Building, one in the bus opposite the Passport Office and third who was near Plaza, and all three of them were "earning member" of their families.   They are all in pitiable conditions, having lost their son/ husband/ father/ brother and yet they are surviving.

How one wishes that the Judiciary wasnt amenable to political pressure.  My heart goes out to all those families who lost a member in the blasts and the riots which followed, all of which were orchestrated by these guys, who are today pleading for mercy on such specious grounds.  Where was thier concience when they aided the act of planting bombs which they know will take the lives of innocent citizens.

greatmaratha thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatterbox

i think he has suffered enough

Has he 🤢🤢🤢

I hope not.  I pray not. 
navtour thumbnail
ow thats so so sad to hear--

i like the way he acts--

hes cute
kirtib thumbnail
Well I really lik Sanjay Dutt as an actor but I still feel what he did was not rite.. Many of these actors touch our heart through their perforamnce and we start believing that they r real life heros but the fact reamain tht they r just reel life heros..

How come a respectable man like him could do such a heineious act as to store arms for blasting our very own Mumbai.. He claims to be the only one earning money in his family but he thot of blasting a city tht gives him his livelihood..

I think he should not be pardoned.. He might be a changed man but he should def be put behind bars so that he can sit back and think of his actions..

We should not forget for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction!!
chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: s.priya

Just proves that politics and money can do anything in todays world. They have dropped the charges of conspiracy against him in favour of a charge of possessing arms, the sentence being between one to 10 years. He has served 18 months already, so they might just set it off against term served 🤢

For a crime as heinous as aiding and abetting an act of terrorism which took the lives of hundreds of innocent people, these guys should be put behind bars.

So what if he is a good actor, or if his father did good deeds, fact of the matter remains that he agreed to accept the fire arms, with the full knowledge of its intended use, the extent of the act of terror which was being planned. There was cold blooded intention behind the whole act, so all other virtues need to take a back seat in the face of such inhuman acts.

I havent had a chance to see the report, will wait to read the whole report and then see how much the judiciary has bent backwards to accomodate politicians, their games and their "principles".

o-oh vakil sahiba boli

i forgot we have a very kaabil wakeel here

hey priya that ws my first reaction

let me see the report again and decide

and as u said many ppl lost lives i wud agree to that

i m well aware of 93  blasts and now recent train blasts as i myself had a horrid time tryin to find where is my son

and thankfully he was safe and home in time

or i just dont know