IPKKND FF: KHUSHI by JALEBI JANE Thread 1: EPISODE 001-052

Posted: 7 years ago
Thank you will be therešŸ˜ƒ.

-Khushi- by Maya (2012) EPISODE 001

EVERY YEAR THE RAIZADA PARIVAAR was invited to their neighbours, the Kapoors, for Holi festivities. The Kapoors were famous for throwing extravagant parties, but their Holi parties were legendary. Servers bearing thalis of colour. Musicians plying instruments for eager dancers. Water fountains waiting for those who loved to frolic in wet kurtas and sarees. Teenagers flirting and dancing away from watchful eyes. Children running wild and unattended.

And, of course, there was the bhaang!

Bhaang was infused into almost every available refreshment. No person was safe. And, this year, Sisters, we expected nothing different.

But, wait!---this year was different. This year, the party included the two brand-new Raizada bahus. And, rumour had it that even Mr Arnav Singh Raizada---who rarely attended parties---would accompany his bride. Those who had been privileged enough to be invited to the Unveiling Bride rasam had declared that not only was his bride a ravishing beauty, but Mr Raizada was fiercely protective of her. It was told that he insulted a guest who dared to ask about their secret hasty wedding. Of course, this only added grist to the rumour mill and Mrs Kapoor despaired that her guests had come more to scrutinize the new pair than to praise her party arrangements.

ARNAV WAS SEATED by the pool with his laptop. His eyes were directed on the monitor, but his thoughts were following the tinkling sound of his wife's payals as she moved inside his room---their room---getting ready for the party. The payals finally quieted. But only to be replaced by the jingle of churiyas. His eyes closed and he winced to block out the image of Khushi's mehndhi-ed hands lifting from beneath an orange dupatta. Cupped hands waiting to receive prasaad. Slender arms glittering. The soft chiming of his gifted bangles.

What an easy thing it is to buy a gift. But what an extraordinary thing to see her arrayed with it. 

"Hum tayaar hai," Khushi said softly.

Hum tayaar hai. These had been her exact words when she agreed to marry him on that fateful night. He looked up without turning his head. She was standing by the sliding door. She lifted one hand to lean on the door frame, and his eyes were drawn to his mother's gold kangan resting against a million narrow pink and silvery churiyas that reached her elbow. The gossamer-thin white saree with pale pink sequins along the border accentuated her porcelain skin. His eyes traced her form. She took a small step back, away from him, and the saree shimmered with the movement. The flesh of her stomach beneath the saree shimmered too. Arnav stood and cleared his throat, aware that he felt the need to swallow. He indicated that she should precede him.

Khushi felt him---no, sensed him!---as he followed her, close behind. Though she herself preferred tiny saree blouses, this particular man and this particular blouse made her self-conscious. It was a ridiculously indiscreet blouse, especially the back. She was aware of his eyes touching her back. On the pretense of adjusting her sandal, she stepped aside. He had no choice but to move forward and he did, to lead the way downstairs. They were met there by Akaash and Payal who informed them that the others had gone on ahead. It was a two minute walk to the Kapoors.

"What beautiful diamonds!" Payal whispered to Khushi as they followed their husbands through the front gates of the Kapoor residence. Payal tucked Khushi's hair behind the left ear to closely examine the chandelier earrings. "From your Arnavji?" Payal asked, beaming.

Khushi indicated 'yes' with her 'eyes.

Payal smiled again. "Matching tikka?"

Yes, again. 

Payal's smile widened into a saucy grin. "Saree with invisible blouse?"

Khushi glared at her sister. Payal was aware that every day new sarees wrapped in tissue and jewellery boxed in velvet kept appearing in Khushi's side of the wardrobe. Arnav made no mention of them and she also ignored them. She continued to dress as before until two days ago all her own clothes disappeared.

Quintessential Arnav Singh Raizada.

By silent coercion he made it clear that she would dress only in those items he provided. And today, when she came upstairs to dress, she had found the jewellery and saree on the bed. For a brief moment, she had considered ignoring his command and selecting something else---but what was the point? It was only day-six of a six-month sentence; if she was to survive she would have to learn to pick her battles. Yesterday's failure still sat heavily on her. How she had crowed that she would never return to Raizada House? Only to be forced to race back and endure his arrogant triumph.

Payal was teasing her further about whether he also selected her lingerie, and Khushi forced a smile to form on her lips. So what if Payal wanted to read romantic notions into Arnav's actions? It was far better than her guessing the truth about their sham marriage. She had married him for her Jiji's happiness and returned to him yesterday solely by threat of Akaash and Payal's divorce. If Payal was made happy believing these objects were love tokens, let her enjoy that belief.

Khushi knew better.

Everything Arnav did was to exercise control over her. He had said so yesterday when she had briefly gloated over the soggy divorce papers. "These papers can be reissued. Remember that before you pull another stunt, Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada. Everything is under my control and will remain so. You will do as I say for the next six months."

Apparently, his control extended to the cut of her saree blouse as well, Khushi glowered, fixing her pallu before stepping to her husband's side.

For all that, Khushi was oddly grateful for Arnav's presence by her side as they entered the Kapoors' garden. His utter disregard for what others thought of him cloaked him in a mantle of ease and invincibility, and though she was conscious that judging eyes were upon them, his nearness somehow lent her strength.

Akaash took Payal's hand and whisked her away to meet the neighbours and join the revelry, but Arnav led her to where Nani was seated and then disappeared without a word.

Khushi was warmly received by Nani's friends, and after some time she forgot to be angry with Khushi. By the time NK came to rescue her, Nani urged, "go and enjoy yourself, Bitya. I want to see that smiling Khushi I haven't seen in many days."

These were welcome words. A small step, nevertheless a significant beginning towards mending her relationship with the matriarch of the Raizada family. It eased Khushi's heart.

NK wasted no time in threatening her with a water gun but she managed to dodge him and ran away, only to find herself surrounded by some of the young girls who recognized her from the pooja at Raizada House.

"Didi! Didi" they cried, and chased her with colour in their hands. Khushi gave them a good energetic chase, eventually allowing herself to be caught and received a few well-chosen streaks of colour on her cheeks.

"Come and dance with us," one little girl insisted. Khushi joined the children in their dance and met some of the parents of the young girls. While taking refreshment with them, she caught herself laughing and realized that she hadn't laughed for days. Her thoughts turned to the Laad Governor, the man who had wiped away her smile.

"Where is he?" she wondered under her breath.

And in that very moment when she lifted her eyes to seek him, her eyes collided with his.

He was leaning against a tree not far away, and Khushi sensed that he had been observing her for some time. He captured and held her gaze. She could not read his eyes.

Was he angry?   No, it was not anger.

Nor were his eyes filled with that familiar coldness. Nevertheless, his gaze was intense and Khushi found it disturbing. Her acidity had also returned. Perhaps she should have some more lassi. She broke the hold he had on her eyes and turned away, but something compelled her to meet his eyes once again. This time the message could not be clearer. He wants me to go to him, she realized drawing in a shaky breath.

Edited by JalebiJane - 7 years ago
Ohh maya, I so wanted to read this story. Thank you so so so much for re posting it. I just adore your writing.
Always wanted to read this one...Thnx for posting again
Lookin forward to the upcoming chaptersšŸ˜Š
i've literally never been happier in my life
~will leave a nice long comment like i used to on your threads 

**edited** 

so i've been on this forum for quite a while, much longer than i'd like to have been (lol) and this story was actually one of the first ones i've ever read! it really propelled my interest in the whole "arnav finding out that khushi is innocent and realizing he's a huge ass" concept. 4 years later, i'll relish in reading this story again as it serves as a piece of nostalgia for me and a reminder of how amazing the writers of this forum are! i wish i could comment on every part like someone who's reading this story for the first time but i'm afraid i'll give away details haha. so i'll be secure knowing that i'll comment once all the episodes are posted! can't wait for the site to be up again as well. didchya know that i was actually trying to find the site a couple months ago hoping to read this story again but unfortunately, it didn't work. super happy to find out it'll be back sept! 
best wishes
-aarti
Edited by aartipartyy - 7 years ago
waooo superb start i hv never read any of ur stories m new actually lookng forward to read thz one
Thanks. Loved the first part.
I have read all the episodes but that is not stopping me from reading it again..

Maya,

Loving the new user name - Jalebi Jane has got to be the best user name on an IPK forum, isn't it?! You are now a bit like the musician Prince, who did a couple of sensational name changes! Loving your daily episodic reviews. Welcome back to the forum. I promise to catch up and join you on those reviews one day. Work and Asli duniya are punishing at best, right now. Will certainly read and enjoy those, however. And would love to reread Khushi. Ek aur baar. So hope to see you either here or on your blog. Does one need an access code? 

Best,

Anu