Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
My interpretation of the debate is: what good are the skills acquired via playing competitive sports?
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: K.Universe.

My interpretation of the debate is: what good are the skills acquired via playing competitive sports?

From what I understand, not everything has a practical purpose in the universe ðŸ˜›

K.Universe. thumbnail
Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

From what I understand, not everything has a practical purpose in the universe ðŸ˜›

:))

Don't get me started on that.

Reality itself is a game/sport some sick bleep is playing for his/her/it's own entertainment. No purpose whatsoever.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
^^ To express and  to experience itself. How's that for  a purpose? 
K.Universe. thumbnail
Originally posted by: _Angie_

^^ To express and  to experience itself. How's that for  a purpose? 

That would be like me first inventing a game, say cricket, then making up my own rules, then being the batsman, bowler, wicket-keeper, umpire, other fielders, spectators, press, sponsors and TV audience, then playing it for 5 days, and  then at the end of 5 days celebrating that I won and feeling sad that I lost.

Sick! Pointless!
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Should this topic be
"Are Sports Overrated?"
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

In fact its the other way round, Several defense personnel have done well in competitive sports because they got the opportunity and support to excel in these fields. The army has taken up the responsibility of grooming their personnel for these events. We have the outcome before us in the field of shooting, wrestling, rowing , archery and weightlifting. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, Vijay Kumar, Gurpreet, Omkar Singh, Dattu Baban Bhokanal are few of the army men who  stand testimony to their success.The option of joining the defense or police after the sportspersons have proved themselves in national or international events seems to be less practical.

I've already mentioned this earlier, that if a person becomes skilled in a sport as part of his job or outside of his job by paying from his own pocket, then that's fine. Army/ police need its personnel to have good skill in shooting, hand to hand combat, strength etc. So, army/ police personnel having these skills and putting it to use in their job is actually desirable. What I'm pointing out is that most sports person have skills which either have no practical utility or even if it does have practical utility they are not putting it into use anywhere. Then what good are such skills and why do we pay so much attention/ time/ money to such people with useless skills?

What you said about sports person joining army/ police after proving themselves at national/ international level being less practical, doesn't make much sense. Most professional sports person start young and acquire enough skill by mid to late teenage to make the decision that they want to become professional sports person. Are you telling me, late teens is too late to join the army/ police?

The glorification is not based on the practical use of the skill developed but on what went into reaching  a desired goal. The discipline, dedication, will power and grit that goes into reaching these heights is what is appreciated and glorified . What inpires is the way these people overcame all odds and obstacles  to come out  winners. I am not aware about people being forced to spend their money to support them.  From what I know its being done by willing organisations,  govt or non-govt.

If a person shows discipline, dedication, will power to master the art of climbing the tallest coconut trees, will people glorify you? He will at least bring down coconuts for you. Or is all the adulation reserved for sports promoted by the media however useless those might be?

People are forced to spend money whether they want to or not. First of all the tax money, whether they want it or not, part of their tax money will be spent on sports. Secondly, when people are subscribing to TV or newspaper, whether they want it or not the media agencies are going to pay huge amount of attention to covering sports. People are actually paying for that directly or indirectly. Thirdly, when brands sponsor a sports meet or sports person, the cost will in the end be recovered from the consumers, the common people. Had the brand sponsored a school maybe the people would have benefited more, but they are not given that choice. Instead a culture is created through media and some powerful sporting bodies where sports is promoted so much that common people are bound to fall in that trap.

I can relate to what you are saying here especially about people going crazy about the games, matches, bouts or any other entertainment for that matter , be it an obsession for watching the first show first day of their favourite actor or going gaga over their favourite pop singer.  But that could be because I don't share their interests. They may find some of my activities equally wasteful or eccentric. Overhyped , true but isnt it upto people to decide how they wish to spend their money or time?.

Yes it is up to people to decide how they spend their money and time, but till what extent? Various activities which are deemed to make people unproductive are discouraged, sometimes even banned. We don't encourage people to play video games all the time, we don't tell them that they are great even if they are exceptionally skilled at it. They are spending their own time and money. We don't encourage people to smoke or drink all the time even though they are spending their own time and money. Even if it is physical work, like digging holes or climbing coconut trees, we don't encourage someone to do it all the time and become the ultimate expert unless we have some use for the holes or need coconuts. And that's because we understand that these activities are unproductive, even hampers productivity and such activities are best avoided or kept to a level that is necessary if at all. Somehow all that understanding leaves us when it comes to sport. It is unproductive and watching it hampers productivity, yet going overboard about sports is encouraged.

Not all people who are bored would turn destructive but there some who do.   Things are fine as long as its done in moderation. Obsession with entertainment does seem wasteful but then there are others who stand to gain from that obsession.  Travel, tourism, food, advertising, manufacturing ...and many other industries gain because of the obsessed people's willingness to part with their time and money on such events.  It all depends on how we take it. We cannot expect people to stop entertaining or limit their entertainment habits  but it could always be put to some good use if we so desire.  For instance, lets say you have a group of new recruits from different backgrounds-  group activities can be used as an ice breaker.  It also helps in team bonding.  

Another example - The Kashmiri youth enjoy watching cricket but they tend to watch and cheer the Pakistani team at present. They know they don't stand a chance of being on the P- team.  If they are encouraged and given opportunity to be a part of our national or the Ranji teams or the IPL teams,  I am positive that  we could soon get to see  some interesting results. Its not always about winning a match. The greater goal would be the team building or the sense of integration  it brings.

Spending time and money on science, research or so many other different things, is going to get us more sustainable growth and development than what the media created hype can bring through sports. Yet, how much attention is paid to scientists or social reformers or people who do great things that directly benefit the society?

Edited by souro - 7 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: K.Universe.

That would be like me first inventing a game, say cricket, then making up my own rules, then being the batsman, bowler, wicket-keeper, umpire, other fielders, spectators, press, sponsors and TV audience, then playing it for 5 days, and  then at the end of 5 days celebrating that I won and feeling sad that I lost.

Sick! Pointless!

I ve observed a  lot of kids do it . They don't look sick to me. They seem to enjoy their multiple role playing and  inventing their own games and gadgets. Winning  or losing doesn't seem to bother them much. Watching them at play could be as interesting as watching a competitive sports if not more. You never know whats coming next.  A lone child can often be observed to be  role playing a teacher, student, classmates, parents or role playing  opposite teams all by herself/himself.  . Its about the enjoyment  they derive from the different situations and outcome they seem to  spontaneously conjure.  Wonder if sometimes they come up with a character that seems pretty much disgruntled with everything. It could be their way of exploring those aspects too. Expressing and experiencing different aspects of themselves.

_Angie_ thumbnail

"If a person shows discipline, dedication, will power to master the art of climbing the tallest coconut trees, will people glorify you? He will at least bring down coconuts for you. Or is all the adulation reserved for sports promoted by the media however useless those might be?...

...Somehow all that understanding leaves us when it comes to sport. It is unproductive and watching it hampers productivity, yet going overboard about sports is encouraged.

...Spending time and money on science, research or so many other different things, is going to get us more sustainable growth and development than what the media created hype can bring through sports. Yet, how much attention is paid to scientists or social reformers or people who do great things that directly benefit the society?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at some of the reasons why people love watching sports. Watching the star sportspersons who break world records could feel  like watching history in the making. Some of the Olympians achieve physiological feats (useful or not) that 99.999 % of humanity hasn't achieved yet. Some fans tend to ride on the success of their idols. Eg If a gymnast  wins a gold medal   the  Americans can now somehow  claim that they are the best as the winner is an American. The most popular spectator sports tend to be the ones we grew up playing . Its nostalgia and feel good factor. Cheering for a common team , booing a common opponent  sharing the excitement brings a sort of  camaraderie  that feels relaxing and comforting.. The outcome of any sporting event is potentially  unpredictable. The suspense adds to its appeal.   Sharing knowledge or data about a common interest can be a binding force. Spectators feel connected to each other and share the exhilaration of the players. It's a healthy escape from the humdrum of everyday life.  The hours spent at the game may not be directly productive but helps the person to temporarily escape  an otherwise mundane or stressful life and get back to work with better productivity. There would be many spectators who are  leading a productive life at other times and only taking a few hours off . Excitement and depression both can be contagious thus affecting a much larger group than limiting to the  spectators themselves. Come to think of it,   what exactly are we trying to achieve by a productive life aimed  towards growth and development  if not a life of happiness and joy!  Depriving people of harmless activities that brings joy or  happiness  in the pursuit of development  at some  future time  doesn't seem justified..  Striking a healthy balance would be preferable IMO.    

_Angie_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Should this topic be

"Are Sports Overrated?"

What about virtual games like Pokmon Go? Overrated or overhyped the tiny bugs have taken over!