Debate Mansion

why we arent consider to be asian (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

CuteManjot

CuteManjot

Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by prakriti

I hang out with a lot of Asians (Korean, Chinese, ect) and my town is filled by them. Now, people often make nasty comments about Asians and im like um hello? I m Asian too! But people say that they consider the word Asian to relate to Oriental people, and not to Indians. As for Native Indians, I agree; it's very annoying. Basically though, in my school, we are called either Indians or Hindus (even though some people are Muslim or ect.). So I guess it's a lose lose situation…we really need a new name for us! =] Oh and nice topic!

x3 Prakriti

thanks but india is the british name for us i think bargat is our real hindi name

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "why we arent consider to be asian (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

prakriti

IF-Dazzler

prakriti

Posted: 20 November 2006 at 9:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by CuteManjot

I hang out with a lot of Asians (Korean, Chinese, ect) and my town is filled by them. Now, people often make nasty comments about Asians and im like um hello? I m Asian too! But people say that they consider the word Asian to relate to Oriental people, and not to Indians. As for Native Indians, I agree; it's very annoying. Basically though, in my school, we are called either Indians or Hindus (even though some people are Muslim or ect.). So I guess it's a lose lose situation…we really need a new name for us! =] Oh and nice topic!

x3 Prakriti

thanks but india is the british name for us i think bargat is our real hindi name

yes it is but in the US, how many ppl do you think actually know what bharat means (non-desis) and how often have you heard indians being callled Bharatians? I didnt reply as to what our right name is, i just said what people call us. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

x3 Prakriti

CuteManjot

CuteManjot

Posted: 21 November 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by CuteManjot

x3 Prakriti

yes it is but in the US, how many ppl do you think actually know what bharat means (non-desis) and how often have you heard indians being callled Bharatians? I didnt reply as to what our right name is, i just said what people call us. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

x3 Prakriti

ya i no ppl who came frum india and didnt no that stuff and it is here that i get called a hindi alot by ppl becuz they think that is the onli religion in india

KingzGirl

KingzGirl

Posted: 21 November 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged
You know what I hate? Filling in applications, surveys, etc where they ask my ethnicity! (Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an Indian!) The reason I hate filling it out because more than half the time, those apps don't have the ethnicity listed that I identify with! That is so frustrating! I'm like... ok... do I go with Asian? I guess I would be Asian, but how about be more specific?   Confused   
I mean, nice to see an INDIAN option there, but then it's for Native Indians... End of my rant. I'm just confused.   Ouch
There ARE those rare times when I see an Asian Indian option though.

CuteManjot

CuteManjot

Posted: 21 November 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by KingzGirl

You know what I hate? Filling in applications, surveys, etc where they ask my ethnicity! (Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an Indian!) The reason I hate filling it out because more than half the time, those apps don't have the ethnicity listed that I identify with! That is so frustrating! I'm like... ok... do I go with Asian? I guess I would be Asian, but how about be more specific?   Confused   
I mean, nice to see an INDIAN option there, but then it's for Native Indians... End of my rant. I'm just confused.   Ouch
There ARE those rare times when I see an Asian Indian option though.

ya i had a teacher once who was native and said indians shouldnt be called indian they toke that frum use native indians i was lik omg that isnt rite half our class was indian and slot of ppl were fighting wit the teacher becuz of thpose commentsa

Post Reply New Post

Go to top