Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bkeero thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

wow great topic I agree with you guys.. They do sterotype punjabi people in movies... we are not brain dead...

Proud to be SIKH

LOL...

ashley1 thumbnail
Can't stop movies from Making. Because its a free media. Everybody can share their views. But only the dumb will totally beleive in movies. πŸ˜†
Jyoti_Saroya1 thumbnail
Originally posted by: peacestead

Hi guys,

this may be a controversial topic but I read something on the board of JJKN that set this train of thinking in motion in my mind. I am a Punjabi and man am i proud of it, but the general impression that seems to be going around is that Punjabi's are stupid people and not very intelligent. I hate it when people talk or think like this , Punjabi's work hard and party even harder , i really think punjabi's know how to live life to the fullest, they are big hearted and warm and usually are successful whichever part of the world they are in and I am so sick and tired of this cliche that seems to judge punjabi in such a way.Even in movies you see punjabi's being made fun of and this should stop!!!!!! I have nothing against people from other regions but they are certainly not more intelligent than punjabis . Please chime in everyone and lets see what u all fee?

I agree but sometimes we have to be good-natured and laugh about it.

But at times I get annoyed too.

Jo Bole So Nihaal - the movie was a total disgrace! And was not even funny!!

Aparna_BD thumbnail
O,K let me give you my intake on this topic . I am half bengali ( Dad's side ) and half Sikh( Mom's side )..........and i married a Bong !!
Now i have noticed there are these typical things that are said about BOTH Bengalis and Sikhs .

For Bengalis they say , women wear the pants at home , eat lot of fish , are very bright , Are lazy , are timid by nature , way too arrogant about their culture etc !!

For Sikhs , they aren't supposed to be very bright , are strong , brave , large hearted , more of a patriachal society ( as in more chauvnistic ), boorish by nature etc.

Funnily both are opposites and all my life i have ended up defending one with the other . People have made jokes , had discussions with me and i usually take it very lightly since i am a cocktail !! πŸ˜† But at times i find it annoying !! But i must admit , most often i love pulling a punjabi's leg with mean punju jokes and do the same with Bong's . And i am a thali ka baingan which switches side in this discussion as an when it suits me .

I love to say .........i have my brains from my dad's side and my looks brave nature , bindaas attitude from mom's side !!( You see BEST OF BOTH WORLDS )πŸ˜†

Once it happened i had an Aunty (family friend from my in laws- Bengali ) discuss a punjabi wedding with us . She kept complaining about how boorish punjabis are , they dress garrishly , are show offs blah blah .........And every few minutes kept apologising to me , since i am half a punjabi too . I wanted to smack her . I finally respectfully told her - that punjabi weddings are a lot more fun than Bengali one's .Bengali wedding , people are so tight upper lipped . So damn serious , as if its a funeral . She was ofcourse shocked and shut her trap !! πŸ˜‰
I feel its fine to joke around...TILL A LIMIT . But don't cross your limits to the extent you start hurting people . So lighten up and take kidding around without getting upset ..........but give it back if it goes too far !! 😊 Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
hazelgirl thumbnail
nice topic...
well .....punjabi's r ragarded as stupids but they r not.Although i am not a punjabi i respect all punjabis as i have many punjabi friends. πŸ˜›
Moreover
Our PM is punjbai so can we call punjabi's stupid? πŸ˜›
Jyoti_Saroya1 thumbnail
EXACTLY!! WE MAY BE A MINORITY BUT WE RULE!! WE ARE VERY PROMINENT!!!!!
miel thumbnail

Originally posted by: bluepink

In Hindi movies there is generally a very wrong representation of Punjabis, Gujaratis and South Indians. Punjabis are shown illiterate and fools. The scene in Kuch kuch hota hai where the Sikh kid counting stars and Johney lever looking if clock has struck 12 is so lame. Gujaratis are shown with heavy accent like in Kal ho naho. And South Indians well!! people don't even know how to distinguish between the 4 Southern states and some jocker like Mehmood or Johny lever wears a lungi with some white chalk on forehead and blabs ayyo amma. It shows how lame and sick our Hindi film writers are.

I am a proud Indian.

hi

i'm a keralite.i agree with you. hindi movie do insult others without cause.but what i cant tolerate is the sardar jokes that are forwarded through mails and sms.its sick. we have no right to make fun of people.instead of sardar we could use some fictional character like suppandi in these jokes.

So, i request all friends who are reading this to replace sardar with something else before they forward such jokes.its ok to have fun ,but it should never be at another's expense.

miel

Edited by miel - 18 years ago
Angelic_J thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jyoti_Saroya1

EXACTLY!! WE MAY BE A MINORITY BUT WE RULE!! WE ARE VERY PROMINENT!!!!!

So damn true these movie ppl need to come to Canada and see for themsleves how POPULAR the punjabi's r even the gore goriyan dance on our tunes and celebrate vaisakhiπŸ˜› if u r  a brown living in Canada the first ques. they'll ask u is r u an indian? if u say yes they'll automatically ask u r u Punjabi or do u know Punjabi? c wht i mean just coz there r not a lot of Punjabi's they're one of the most respected cultures/group in this whole worldπŸ˜ƒ except for those f****** indian producers and directors😑

deepey thumbnail

first of all great topic!

im punjabi and a sikh (as u can tell by my avi and siggy), and a very proud punjabi. lol.

i agree wid every single word u said

its soo damn annoying. first of all most of the sikhs that they show in hindi movies are fake, i mean they r wearing fake beards, and fake turbans. Which is very insulting.

secondly what is wid the sardar ji jokes, i find them very insulting and why does it always have to be a sardaar. wtf?πŸ˜• why cant it just be a mn walkin down the road or w/e

and i aggre punjabi culture is famous in the movies, but balle balle and chak de fatte rnt the only two words that we know how to say.

punjabis (especially jatts) are very serious, strict, and religious people. whoo can do alot for wat they believe in, and are not some hjokers that they r displayed as on tv.

i swear i literally want to slap a fake sardaar that they show on tv.

but i must say navjyot sidhu, i really dont know who he is. but i saw one of his interviews i think. Hes a true sikh. who has personality, and a sense of humor, which is not insulting to the sikh community.

i love the punjabi culture and am very proud of it, and i feel very offended when my culture and even religion is made fun of!

Gauri thumbnail
Originally posted by: deepey

first of all great topic!

im punjabi and a sikh (as u can tell by my avi and siggy), and a very proud punjabi. lol.

i agree wid every single word u said

its soo damn annoying. first of all most of the sikhs that they show in hindi movies are fake, i mean they r wearing fake beards, and fake turbans. Which is very insulting.

secondly what is wid the sardar ji jokes, i find them very insulting and why does it always have to be a sardaar. wtf?πŸ˜• why cant it just be a mn walkin down the road or w/e

and i aggre punjabi culture is famous in the movies, but balle balle and chak de fatte rnt the only two words that we know how to say.

punjabis (especially jatts) are very serious, strict, and religious people. whoo can do alot for wat they believe in, and are not some hjokers that they r displayed as on tv.

i swear i literally want to slap a fake sardaar that they show on tv.

but i must say navjyot sidhu, i really dont know who he is. but i saw one of his interviews i think. Hes a true sikh. who has personality, and a sense of humor, which is not insulting to the sikh community.

i love the punjabi culture and am very proud of it, and i feel very offended when my culture and even religion is made fun of!

Well said deepey! πŸ‘

Even though my family or me aren't Sikh or Punjabi, my Dad still felt bad about the way they portrayed Sikhs/Punjabis as unintelligent or non serious. Lots of movies and some of Ekta's serials have started to do that now...