not.here thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
This content was originally posted by: Nynaeve

That is one poem I can recall completely, along with a few of my other perennial favourites:

She walks in beauty - by Lord Byron (only first stanza)
A Psalm of Life - H W Longfellow
Sonnet 43 from the Sonnets from the Portuguese - by Elizabeth Barrett Browning ("How do I love thee...)
Nature's first green is gold - Robert frost (I love the imagery and the magic despite the heavy theological implications)

I do like the how do I love thee poem.
I'm going to look up the others since I'm not familiar with them.
Robert Frost may have become one my favourites now.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maharani69 thumbnail
Engager 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: Cortana

I do like the how do I love thee poem.
I'm going to look up the others since I'm not familiar with them.
Robert Frost may have become one my favourites now.

I love the Psalm of Life so much!
I like the others too, but Psalm of Life <3 
Maharani69 thumbnail
Engager 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 6

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
The content of this post has been Hidden by User.
Nynaeve thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
And I have done, it sort of - considering the number of attempts and the hours spend, it is passable, I hope. Lucky and Arya, do let me know. 

I could make it,  following the tutorial by YuLia Sokolova (quite easy - considering an idiot like me could do it.

So here it is (for my Euphony of Elements - which has a very childish, almost kindergarten-ish banner as of now (and as the thread is locked, I cannot change it. But then it show how much I have improved. Or have I?

Sanskaar - the fire element (a little too clean, would prefer fiery hair😆😆)

And I finally take a break and focus on FM - as usual I will miss my self imposed deadline.

Edited by Nynaeve - 7 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Anahita_Leve thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Nynaeve

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">Nothing new, just a sort of a note to myself, mostly to ensure that this thread does not get locked😆</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">This post is for all readers / writers like me who wanted to know what a story would be called based on the number of words:</font>
<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">
When Size Matters:
Story Terminology as Determined by Word Count
by Rana Eros

Drabbles are a bit of a hot topic, and I've run across a few debates started by people who don't like them. Now, this is nothing unusual in fandom, there seems to be at least one person who doesn't like any given thing, and I usually just shrug my shoulders and move on. The problem with the drabble debates, however, lies in how people are defining drabbles.

There are those who are using the term drabble to mean any story under 500 words. There is at least one person I have seen use the term to mean any story under 1000 words, and she said she picked up that definition from an actual fic community. Appalling thought, that, since it means yet more people are going to be wandering around with this misconception of what a drabble is. Generally speaking, I try to be an "anything goes in fandom" kinda gal, and just take people's individual definitions in stride. The thing is, let's say you've got someone who declares she doesn't like drabbles, and you get someone who agrees with her, and someone who doesn't, and these two someones start debating with each other, and one or the other of them mentions the 100-word limit, and the original poster pops up and says, "Oh, I define drabble as anything under 500 words." Now both the person who disagreed with her, and the person who agreed with her, are left blinking at her clarification. The debate is completely derailed, and the person who agreed with her often comes back to say, "Oh, well, I actually like quite a few stories in that word limit. I just don't like stories that are exactly 100 words, which is how I define drabble." Instead of a debate on the relative merits of drabbles, you suddenly have a debate on what a drabble is. Except you really don't, because those who were interested in discussing fic of 100 words really aren't interested in discussing whether the term "drabble" actually means fic of 100 words.

Conversely, you can have an original poster who says she doesn't like drabbles, and someone pops up to agree with her, saying, "I just don't like stories under 1000 words. Give me something meatier." The OP replies, "Oh, my favorite story length is 500-1000 words. I just don't like drabbles, I think they're too short to be worth my while." The person who agreed with her says, "But anything under 1000 words is a drabble, so I'm not sure what you're saying you dislike," and again the debate devolves into defining "drabble."

Definitions drift with usage and words take on new meanings, but usually it's because there's not already a perfectly serviceable word that means what the user wants. Well, in the case of stories 500 words and under, there is. In the case of stories 1000 words and under, there is. In the case of stories 17500 words and under, there is, and I'm going to give you those terms now.

A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words. It's debatable as to whether or not the title is included (the common definition I've seen allows for one to fifteen extra words for the title), but the limit itself is not debatable. A drabble and a half is exactly 150 words. A double drabble is 200 words, and anything over that really stops being a drabble, but in fandom, any story in increments of 50 words is often still referred to as some permutation of drabble, ie double drabble and a half, triple drabble, triple drabble and a half, quad-drabble, etc. Even in fandom, however, the key is that your word count is exactly on that 50 word increment mark. Otherwise, you are not writing a drabble of any kind.

So what are you writing? Well, in the pro lit world, any story under 500 words is flash fiction. It's a term that used to be widely-used in fandom as well, but I think the influx of fans who didn't first pass through sf lit fandom or come from some other area of the pro lit world has negatively impacted both knowledge and use of the term. So, if you didn't know the term before, here it is. When discussing fic under 500 words that is not exactly 100 words, the term you want is flash fiction. Or even flashfic, or minute fic, or sudden fic, postcard fic, fast fic, quick fic, and a few others. Flashfic is the most common and well-known, but there are a few alternatives. The point is, none of those alternatives are drabble.

Fic that is over 500 words, but under 1000, is generally known as a short short. Some magazines and anthologies actually use short short and flash fiction interchangeably, because of space constraints, but in online fandom, we generally don't have to worry about such things. So, short short.

1000 and over, up to 17500, is a short story. It doesn't matter if it's not as long as you personally prefer, it is still a full-fledged, honest-to-god, bona fide short story. And that's another thing. It seems like a lot of people are just defining drabble as any story that is not as long as their personal preference. No. Just no. Drabble is not a negative term, and your personal preference does not a sound basis for literary terminology make. It's like suddenly deciding to use adverb to mean any word you don't like. Not only are you going to confuse people with your usage, but you're also not doing your stance any favors by coming across as ignorant as to the actual meaning of the word.

So, just to review, 100 words=drabble. 500 words and under=flash fiction. 500-1000 words=short short. 1000-15000 words=short story. At 17500, you've ventured into novella/novelette territory (I've seen it split so that 17500 to 25000 is a novella, and 25000 to 40000 is a novelette. I have also seen it split the other direction. Generally, the two terms are used interchangeably). At 40000, congratulations, you have yourself a novel.

But wait! I hear you cry. What about vignettes? What about chapters? I'm so glad you asked, because now I can answer. A vignette has nothing to do with word count. Customarily, it is under 1000 words, but the significant thing about a vignette is the theme, not the word count. A vignette is meant to give new insight into a character or the relationship between two or more characters. Most vignettes don't involve a lot of action. Some of them also don't involve a lot of dialogue. The important thing is the illumination of character or relationship. That's what a vignette is all about.

As for chapters, they have no impact on how your story is classified by word count. Let me repeat that. Chapters have no impact on how your story is classified by word count. If you write a chaptered story that is under 17500 words, you have written a chaptered short story. You can call it a novel if it makes you feel better, but the word count will not agree with you. Those who classify stories by word count will also not agree with you, and they do indeed have the weight of historical usage and the pro publishing industry behind them. You don't have to care about that, of course, but it's good to be aware of it, so if someone calls your chaptered fic a "short story" in their review, you know it's not an insult. It's a quantitative term, not qualitative.

Just like drabble, come to that.

Oh, and one other thing all of the above are: Real fiction. They're words strung together, telling a fictional story. They may not be fiction you personally like, or consider successful, but they are most assuredly real. Kindly do not confuse the two, as it only muddies the waters of communication further.

While I'm on that subject, I'll make a brief mention of the term "ficlet." It's fandom-specific, from what I've been able to determine, and used interchangeably with both flash fiction and short short, depending on who's using it. It's a term I particularly dislike, since I feel it perpetuates the misconception of fiction under a certain word count as not being "real stories," but it does seem to be in very widespread usage.

There you go, a crash course in literary terms as they apply to story length. You may think me pretentious for laying them out, or wanky, or elitist, or what have you. That's fine. Just keep in mind, another thing I am is right. This post is not a statement of opinion, it is a list of facts. You may not like them, but that makes them no less valid. Here, have some proof: Writer's Market's literary definitions, including short story, novelette, and novella. Novella as defined by the Hugo and Nebula awards committees.Word Smitten's definition of flash fiction. Writing World essay on flash fiction and its various alternate names (note that drabble is not one). A thread post to the question of what flash fiction is, citing various definition links. Compare all of these with these professional definitions of the term drabble.

The link to the original article can be found at<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">: <font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">The FanFic Symposium</font></font>
</font>

Nyna,
Really appreciate this post. For writers like us (those who have plots and ideas but struggling to jot them down properly due to lack of experience) these technical terms will come handy. I read only this post so far. How about you post more of these? I think you should keep an index for us.

An interesting fact I should mention:I wrote "Pyre" for a prompt writing project. A theme was and word limit of within 600 words were given.Poem could be a safer choice but I went for a short short full of clichs !Original one was more compressed, it had 599 words.

Waiting for more of your ramblings!
Love,
Dyuti

Nynaeve thumbnail
Dyuti,🤗

Index - sound good - maybe  only for somethings, not all my ramblings especially those stories / poems which are in a draft stage😆😆
Nynaeve thumbnail
February 12, 2017

Continuing  my experimentation for double exposure effect in PS, the toughest has been earth (Ragini) I just could not get a wallpaper / texture for earth / soil/grass / moss. 
This is the one I deemed to be passable.

Picture deleted my me

ETA - February 15, 2017. Refer comment below, the picture is not hideous, it is an affront, an unforgivable sin - I am deleting it.

I am quite obsessed, I wake up and find the above...hideous. It is quite disgusting. So tried again. This is the new one...let me see how I rate it after some time

February 15, 2017 - not bad, has to be worked on, maybe I blur some portion of the face??? Or lighten the green hue / saturation???

Nynaeve thumbnail
February 13, 2017

There is a creative contest - design a book cover. I am not going to enter for that but could not resist making this😳😳

And another one😆

So the first one is obviously in the romance genre and the second one is in the crime / suspense genre. I think I shall make a back cover too, I have an idea for the second one, let me see how it turns out to be.

Nynaeve thumbnail
Okay here is version 2 - which is in the mystery / suspense genre and the book blurb (back cover for the same). It is the same is the front cover, with a variation in the background colour, though.

Nynaeve thumbnail
I got the cover dimensions wrong, and now had to redo the whole thing - will take it as a learning experience. And this time I decided to do some research and turns out there are a number of sizes based on the paper size:

Here is an excerpt:

The names of book sizes are based on the old system, still widely used, of considering the size of a page as a fraction of the large sheet of paper on which it was printed.  In printing books, an even number (as 4, 8, 16, 32, 64) of pages is printed on each side of a single large sheet, which is then folded so that the pages are in proper sequence and the outside edges are cut so that the book will open. Except for the largest size, the folio, the name of the size indicates the fractional part of the sheet one page occupies (as octavo "eighth"). In this system, since the fractional name alone cannot denote an exact size, the name of the sheet size precedes the fractional name. Thus royal octavo is understood to designate a page one-eighth the size of a royal sheet, medium octavo a page one-eighth the size of a medium sheet, and crown octavo a page one-eighth the size of a crown sheet. But paper is cut into many sheet sizes and even the terms crownmedium, and royal do not always designate sheets of the same dimensions. Three of the more common sheet sizes have been selected: royal 20 x 25 inches, medium 18 x 23 inches, and crown 15 x 19 inches. Actual page sizes run a little smaller than calculations, since the sheets, when folded to page size, are trimmed at top, outside and bottom, the inside edge becoming part of the binding. British sheet size sometimes differs slightly from American. Edited by Nynaeve - 7 years ago