TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
John's Shaolin soccer
   By: Sandipan Dalal
   November 14, 2006

John Abraham
Don't be surprised if you see a leaner John Abraham run across Bandra Bandstand on an early morning.

The actor is also set to undergo extremely tough Shaolin exercises that promotes body stamina and metabolism rate under the supervision of a grandmaster from southern Shaolin.

It's a part of the actor's preparation for his forthcoming UTV film Football where he essays the role of an arrogant UK-based Indian soccer player.

The right look

Says the actor, "I need to attain different levels of fitness before appearing as a soccer player on celluloid. An average footballer runs 12 miles a day.

Also, as a soccer player I cannot be overtly bulky and sport a leaner look, which has led me to follow a separate regime. With the help of my personal trainer Kanishka Sharma, I have got a routine in place. Let me tell you these Shaolin exercises are very tough."

We hear that director Vivek Agnihotri has also incorporated Shaolin skills in soccer. The actors will display a few such skills on the field. Says Agnihotri, "My film isn't an action flick. But there are street brawls and of course, the players will be seen exhibiting a few antics on the field as well. John and the entire team will be training for that before we hit the floors in January."

Adds Delhi-based martial arts expert Kanishka Sharma, who was also the fight choreographer for Farhan Akhtar's Don, "In the coming weeks, I'll be training John in Shaolin light foot exercises called yijin jing. His lower back is a little stiff as well and for that he needs to train his tendons. My grandmaster Sitta Wang will be flying in from southern Shaolin to guide us and will be there with us on location."

Soccer prem

It's a lesser-known fact that Abraham had aspirations to take up soccer as his career before enrolling for his management studies. Says the actor, "It's true that I used to play a lot of soccer. But I gave it up for my MBA.

Interestingly, my parents encouraged me to take up soccer. But I decided otherwise thinking about the poor resources and facilities for the game in our country." He believes that the film will only provide a platform to the growing soccer culture among youngsters today.

"Today the youth are following soccer very closely, especially the FA Premier League. There're strong supporters of Chelsea and Liverpool supporters in the country. Post the release of this film I want to see every kid with a football