Can good intentions invite bad reactions?

Posted: 7 years ago

A conversation that I read recently set me thinking. I have often heard people say that their good intentions somehow always  get misunderstood. They set out to do good but the people for whom they meant to do good end up resenting their efforts. My question is why does that happen? How can a well intended effort end up in resentment? That seems to defy the "law of attraction" which seems to suggest that good thoughts should attract good.   Please share your views whatever they be 😊

😊
People make decisions according to the assessment of the situation. 
Good intentions with good assessment and proper knowledge can help one make right decisions.. 

Actions based on improper planing and lack of knowledge will always lead to bad results. 

So yes even good intentions in many cases can backfire and it does as well unless and until it is backed up with strong sense of planing responsibility and action... 
Honestly, I think people shouldn't connect intention with reaction/outcome..
It's not connected.

If you have good intention, that is within you.

How your actions or words get perceived, is not in your control - it cannot be. 

Now, regarding good attracting good.. I think it means, good thoughts, positive vibes within you - are good for you and only you. When a person is filled and brimming with good/positivity, it is said "he attracts good", because in that state of being his actions and deeds are good, productive and these positive deeds will result in positive outcome...in one way or another, directly or indirectly, in visible or invisible ways. :)

But, to say, your intentions get misunderstood, is wrong... IMO :) ..your intentions are your intentions, do not associate it with outcomes in the world. Because people's perceptions aren't in our control :)

Your topic reminded me the recent tweet saga when a Delhi DCP tweeted about the accused to stop the rumours about the death being a communal issue. She did it with good intentions and then was trolled for that. 
I find myself agreeing with both Xiaomi and ALD though both seem to be somewhat opposite  views 😕 🤔 ----
Thats a  very apt  example Padfoot 👍🏼
Intent and impact are two separate things. 
We can try and control the impact to match our intent, but sometimes they just do not align. For example take constructive criticism. Your intent maybe to help someone get better. You believe you are being nice and well meaning when you do so. However, the impact maybe unintended. The other person may perceive it that you are tearing them down and being harshly judgmental.

Recently, I learned the hard way that people do not always see eye to eye with my sense of humor. I have a habit of making jokes or one liners of current events on my social media. In my mind its all innocuous with no ill will. This weekend I was accused of being a misogynist who pretends to be feminist. The impact was different from the intent. 

Intentions misunderstood? That's in my routine. I totally relate to RTH's post. There is one gentleman called onision on youtube, I guess his is a classic case of 'intentions being misunderstood'.
Ok. Here is the thing. Intent is good it tells your character... but in real world the intent has to have a correlation to action. ...remember even if the intent is within you... you arent sure if it is fleeting or kind of permanent...Finally for your intents to be recognized your actions should follow...don't take people for granted because they misunderstood your intent...people really have to know you well to not misread you... kyon bhai kisi ladki ko chheda vagaira toh nahi naa? 😆 ladki jab chappal utha leti hai.. toh intentions ko padhne ka vaqt kisike pass nahi hota... 😆...  Edited by qwertyesque - 7 years ago

Making a wild guess regarding that recent conversation,  lets say, you find your  well intended teaching attitude going all wrong and you wonder why. A simple step like getting down from the high pedestal might help immensely 😆

Its not only through words that you communicate. A lot many non verbal clues also contribute to your communication. Other than that its always the recipients prerogative how to react. If you intend or care enough to get a good reaction you may pay attention to how and what you  say or do and improvise as you go along. If its important to you that the message be conveyed you may want to deliver it in an effective way. On the other hand if its only about expressing yourself you may be satisfied with just doing that and leave the interpretations to the audience.

Words are good... but if intentions were to be accepted based on words... this world would be an heavenly place... ... actions speak louder than words.. is a veri true adage!!!