Page 1 of 8

Page 1
Page   of 8
Page 2 Page 8

Sharmii

IF-Sizzlerz

Sharmii

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 11:06am | IP Logged

As you know there a lot of beggars in india..Young women with child in their Arms to old blind Men.When your walking on the road or going in a car its inevitable that you pass them.Many poeple sympathise a lot but dont dont give anything,some people hand in a ruppee or two and at times i feel that by handing a ruppee i am neither helping them a lot And at the same time I am encouraging them to beg..Specailly young kids who come to you and say they have not eaten for Days!!Its pulls your heart out but in the long run will it  help them..What if they resort to begging all thier life?I really want to know what should be done and your opinions on this.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Beggars Begging-To give in or not?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

seema_17

IF-Rockerz

seema_17

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged
i agree with u we r not helping them long term but atleast we r helping for the time being, i mean apne se jitna ho sakta hai utna hum kare tho bohat achhi baat hai, agar hum kisi ek bhikari ko kaam nahi dila sakte tho kam se kam ek time khaane ke liye double roti tho dila sakte hai?... n i dun think that just cuz we give them a rupee they r gonna beg all their life cuz frankly i dun think a beggar's life is an ambition that most ppl aspire to... so no i won't agree with that theory.

Groovychick

IF-Rockerz

Groovychick

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged
Abhijitji, I don't think there is anything wrong..the thing you said about tubercolosis..there is that risk with anyone you talk to..not just beggars..it may be different that they may be more prone to diseases but not all beggars are like that..
When you say it is an insult to those people who work..but what do you expect those beggars to do? They try and make their money selling things sometimes even to people in cars..and they barely make any money out of that anyway..
If you go to places like Dharaveer..if any of you know where that is..then there are extreme cases of poverty!..it is truly shocking to see people actually living in such conditions..but where are they meant to get the money from? They'll neva be able to even afford a small house no matter if they beg all their lifetime..that's how much poverty there is over there..and about the labour..when a few old men and women actually do work..selling even small things like peanuts..what do they earn..its like 3rs for what you eat..imagine what they get..thats like 1 a day..people over here earn sumthin like 80 times that much per day..
Every time I go to India..I always see little children with no parents begging for money..sometimes when we are in the car or sometimes when we are just walking around shopping or whatever. How else do you expect them to earn their money?
They are so skinny..it really does look like they haven't eaten in a very long time..will 1 rs that people give be able to fill up their stomachs or for that sake fill up their families..their little brother or sisters?!
Ok..when i went their last i heard and saw people working hard and all..and they now get paid a bit by the govt...but how do you expect those who eat something close to nothing to be able to get all their engergy from for all this labour?
I gotta be true and say that we don't always give money to beggars but yes..we still do..sometimes to get rid of them and sometimes because my mum truly feels sorry for them..well she was born and brought up there so shes kinda used to seeing that sorta thing everyday..
ermm..actually..we usually buy them sumthing to eat..instead of giving a small amount of money Embarrassed I dunno if its the right thing to do or not..but atleast you know someone won't starve for atleast one day Smile
It is most likely for poverty to be heriditary..therefore its been coming down from generations and at this rate it seems like that shall be going on for a long time..
a4j4ever..my Q is the same..i'm not too sure poverty will cum to an end at all..no matter how many people give money..but hopefully it shall someday:)
The only thing we can do is cont. to give to charity..and hope that our money actually gets to them!

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling..i was just talking from my experience when i go to India every two years or so..feel free to correct me if you think i am wrong Tongue

Tina xx

seema_17

IF-Rockerz

seema_17

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 5:50pm | IP Logged
i agree groovychick... they don't have the resources needed for labour in the first place. they don't have any ppl guiding them n telling them they can work in a certain place n such... they dun have the food to build a body for hard manual labour... we shld be a bit realistic abt wat we expect from them too

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged

Nice Topic!!!!

I really hate giving money to beggars!!!! This is just another job for them.I just hate children begging,mothers with infants begging,young beggars!! Haaah!!! I feel like hitting them,the only exemption OLD people!! I really feel pity for OLD people,so when I find OLD beggars,I goto them and make it a point to give them some fruits most of the times but sometimes I give them money ample for their breakfast(I really don't know if someone comes and snatches their money later).In India the beggars are so horrible that they come request,plead then they literally fall near our feet and to escape the embarassment we need to give some money(it happened very less number of times to me).

I really have a plan for these child and young beggars!!! First these people should be forcibilly taken into some rehabilitation centres or jails ,then they should be given 100 times bath and then they should be engaged in works like carpentry,candlemaking and all those stuff!!!!

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 13 November 2006 at 6:31pm

seema_17

IF-Rockerz

seema_17

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged
i don't kno abt jails but i like the rehabilitation centre idea... they will be productive then. personally i think life has already been unfair to them, so y shld we inflict more pain on them?

TheRowdiest

IF-Sizzlerz

TheRowdiest

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged

I m against to give to beggers.I have 2 bad experiences regarding this.both happened when I was in India like four years before.

one day I was coming back to my home. I was standing at red lights. a child begger was standing near the car in front of mine and begging.he didnt have one arm .he was wearing full sleeve shirt and one sleeve was like flying ( 1 arm nahin thi na to shirt ki sleeve udd rahi thi) . I was thinking what a poor child he dont have a arm then he came to me and begged then suddenly I saw his arm hiding in side of shirt. at once I said to him " oye tery arm to shirt mein hai " then he run away as soon as possibleLOL.

second incident : I was sitting in my car, parked beside the road bcz my mom was in a shop for few minuts so i was sitting in the car. a child begger may be 5-6 years old came to me and asked money .but at that time I didnt have a single money with me so I ( I didnt owe anything to him but still I replied very politly) told him that I dont have any money. in the return he said " tumhain paap lagega " i was like I said so softly and in the return he is saying this to me it means that "Duas" which they give us after getting money are false just from their mouth not from their heart and when I didnt give him money he said this to meAngry. I said to him with anger while opening my car's door that "accha mujhe paap lagega ....aur tumhein " and he just run away darr ke shayad mein usse maroongi LOL .

both situations are like movie's but these happend to me. from that day I decided I'll Never give money to any begger.I was shocked that really beggers can do that bcz I read many times about that but it happened first time to me.and both inciddents happend within a weak. very bad experiences.

once I read an article in a local newspaper . they did a sarvey on beggers . it was so shocking.

beggers have TVs at their home , they drink and have some other accessories too .mostly ppl sent their childern to beg then comes women because ppl give them money easily.they said that they earn abt 2000-3000 Rs. per day.just think a labourer in India earn hardly 50 to 200 Rs. per day after a days hard work and these beggerAngry without doing any work earn such a lot amount of moneyAngry.

Edited by Rajeev Ki Heer - 13 November 2006 at 6:50pm

RonnieK

IF-Rockerz

RonnieK

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged
i dont really like beggars
but it is not always their fault

but usually beggars will waste money on bad stuff like alcohol, cigarettes

but if it is a kid begging then i would most likely give

Post Reply New Post

Go to top