Hijra’s in India!!!

Posted: 17 years ago

Hijra, a Hindi term traditionally translated into English as "eunuch".

I really wonder why almost of all Hijra's don't work.They threaten people or cause inconvinience to people or use stupid language and collect money from people.

Why don't these people work like normal people?

Why can't they go for daily wages atleast?

Will anyone give work for them?

Why is the government not bothered about them?

I really don't know about other country's Enunch's.Do they let others know they are Enunch's in foriegn countries?

I'm posting this topic because I had the darshan of gang of higras twice today,they came near my auto and I was tensed about my office issues.Later on in the afternoon when I was about to goto a coffee shop 3 more big hijras came and thanks to my kerala colleague she said something in Malyalam they went away!!! I don't know why but I'm scared of these people,I try to go in different route when I see them but today I could'nt escape😕!!!

Love to hear your views!!!

Cheers,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago

Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Alas, there are only so many 'Tayyab ali pyar ka dushman...' songs out there that can employ them.

Apart from the above option any more suggestions!!!

Please don't say "Employ them as your servant or car driver".

Don't say "charity begins at home!!!!"

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Why don't these people work like normal people?

It might be that most of them might be working amongst us as normal people and we just dont know?

Why can't they go for daily wages atleast?

answered in #1

Will anyone give work for them?

No-one checks personal belongings before giving any work, change the attire/look they might look pretty much normal

Why is the government not bothered about them?

Please dont give idea's to Arjun Singhji, He will make another reservation criteria, we are already over 50% and counting,

I really don't know about other country's Enunch's.Do they let others know they are Enunch's in foriegn countries?

Micheal Jackson often makes me wonder , but no unless I see a drag queen I dont notice

I'm posting this topic because I had the darshan of gang of higras twice today,they came near my auto and I was tensed about my office issues.

Maybe they just came around to solve your office issues

Later on in the afternoon when I was about to goto a coffee shop 3 more big hijras came and thanks to my kerala colleague she said something in Malyalam they went away!!!

Stop doing things that attract them😆

I don't know why but I'm scared of these people,I try to go in different route when I see them but today I could'nt escape😕!!!

quack quack quack(dont know you, but could not stop myself)

Love to hear your views!!!

Cheers,

Mythili

I never give any money to anyone begging, Giving money makes begging legit

Edited by sareg - 17 years ago

I want to say one thing that there is a saying that "Hijde ki bud-dua kabhi khali nahin jaati" that why ppl always give them whatever they want.and till now they are taking advantage of this. may be thats why they dont work.may be if any hijra wants to work other dont let him work and most important they always think that its their right to get money frm ppl.

i personally am uncomfortable with them too but thats just cuz they r different. i personally think that they r not lazy ppl... ppl would honestly not like having these ppl to serve them. mythili u said plz don't ask me to employ them, but wat if all the ppl keep saying the same thing, wat if everyone is uncomfortable with them like u n i are... so if every person keeps saying humare paas tumhare liye kaam nahi aage jao, they will eventually giv up. they r humans, they have feelings, n their feelings r hurt time n again from supposed "normal" ppl like us. first their parents kick them out or r mean to them, n for anyone to go thru it it will be traumatic, n after that the cycle keeps on going with everyone being either scared of u, or thinking that they r superior than u in some way n trying to make fun of u n dominating u. n u kno normal ppl like us do do that. we all think we r just good hearted human beings but where is all these goodness when we use the term hijra in a derogatory term. is it any wonder they r so defensive? as for government yes they shld do something, but the only reason they r NOT, is becuz as ar as we kno these hijras usually dun have much power, they have no economic consequence, n it is not a religious issue where the government tries to either pacify them or fuel their feelings to get votes. so bottomline since they aren't gonna help keep the politicians their chairs, the politicians won't give a Da** whether these hijras live or die. u n i won't care cuz we have no relations with them n r scared that they might do something to us. so they have to rely on themselves to beg n get money from ppl, n i think they r absolutely justified in doing so.
I like sareg's answers. I personally don't know anything about them... so anything I say would be totally naive statement. But like abhijit said..there are people out who cater them. I think we are still so superstitous that i've heard people telling that if they come during some good occasion at your place you should never return them without money otherwise something bad will happend etc. 😕
the problem is that many people, in india and both indians in forgien countries 'believe' in the 'curses' or bad luck they can 'supposedly' place upon us. And because of them not understaning and being bound to old custons, sayings and traditions told to them by the generation before them, they believe in it, and thats how the 'hijras' take advantage of that old beleive instead of financially supporting themselves by doing a job.

There was a very poignant story in Times of India recently...A lady in Kolkata delivered a hermaphrodite(eunuch),and she wanted to raise that kid,and even her husband was supportive...But I believe the Hijra community claimed that baby,saying that the child doesnt belong to "their"(meaning,the normal people's) society,and that the child belonged to THEM...The mother refused to part with the kid....It was heartwarming.... 👏 ..But then apparently,the hijra head told the mother that when your child grows up,he himself would come to us,because your society doesnt respect us or acknowledge our existence..your child would be isolated,and the depression would egg him on to seek his "real" family(meaning the hijra community)...

The daily had asked the principal of a school/montessory,and the principal went on to say that there is no rule which can stop them from admitting the hermaphrodite in their school,but the parents of the other children might remonstarte against the admission of the hermaphrodite child...The principal also went on to say that till date,there has been no such student in their school,and that they would "discuss" if and ever such a situation arises 😕,and if no one oppugns ,the child would be admitted!

A reporter had once been to the abode of the hijras,and the first thing that a young 20 year old denizen told her was "Save me from this hell"...When inquired more,the rather aghast hijra told her that he barely gets food in that devastating abode,let alone a filling meal,and that the head makes them work for meagre food"..It was pretty disheartening

Its all in the mindset,I wouldnt mind working with a hermaphrodite,PROVIDED THAT PERSON IS HYGIENIC,SALUBRIOUS ,DIGNIFIED and behaves normal.....I see hijras sometimes in the bus stops,the signals etc,their existence  per se doesnt bother me,what bothers me is their badgering and their exploiting their sexuality for money( by stripping)...Luckily,I havent had such an experience,but I've heard my friends talk about their experiences,and I must say,those are upsetting...Hijras panhandle,and when they are refused money,they start clapping in a queer manner,and start badmouthing and abusing, coming uninvited at weddings, births, new shop openings and other major family events and singing until they are paid or given gifts to go away 🤢 ....BE it any person, a hermaphrodite or a homosexual,they are human beings,as long as they behave NORMALLY and dont bother other people,no one should be looking at them with discrimination or abhorrence...But sadly,In India,most of the hijras bother others,thus rendering themselves obnoxious and putrid!.....

Humanity should command paramount importance,irrespective of the sex...Wikipedia says that There has even been a wave of hijra entering politics and being elected to high political positions.Hopefully,in the coming years,there is a substantial improvement in the lifestyle of hijras😊

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
Many posing as Hijras and demand money are not even Hijras but cross dressers. Some people who come to Mumbai in search of job sometimes find this a better and easier way to make money. Some even threaten you or abuse you till you give them money.

Buffie, I have heard such stories before. Now medical science have advanced and many cases can be corrected. But there are many chromosomal defects some can't be rectified. It is sad that such people rarely find any acceptance in the society.
I agree with the fact that u never kno is someone is posing as a hijra just to get money... as for exploiting ur sexuality i believe that u gotta do what u gotta do for money n survival, do we ALWAYS raise a finger at a prostitute who barters herself for money which she can use to raise sick n ailing parents or younger siblings, no we might sympathize n say poor girl, look wat she has to do. my point here is, if we heterosexual ppl aren't treating them right, right from the day they are born, n i dun just mean the parents but society in general, by the way i just read abt the mother who was unwilling to part with her hermaphrodite child n i found it very sweet 😊 . but back to my point, when we don't treat them right, n they r raised in a TERRIBLE condition right from birth, n we cannot kno wat kind of trials they go thru in life unless we were one of them, then how can we expect them to be any better than wat they r now. becuz believe me fellow debators, no one wants to be poor, no one wants to be hated o looked down upon, so its not like the actuals hermaphrodites do it on purpose. i think that if they were given a chance they will improve, now i kno that none of us r personally obligated to do anything for them, but wat the citizens of india can do is petition to the government to take some beneficial actions for them.