Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Expulsion for Plagiarism - Fair Justice? (Page 2)

...M... IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 9:38am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Morgoth IF-Veteran Member
Morgoth
Morgoth

--

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged

Originally posted by vdevang

There is a big difference between plagiarism and inspiring. So first we must know this difference. Generally, we consider inspiration as plagiarism, which is not true. Nobody is this world is "inspiration-free". Everyone gets inspired by something or someone in their life. It's just human nature.

Considering the fact that inspiration can be mistaken for plagiarism, is it fair to expel students for such offenses?

ChameliKaYaar IF-Rockerz
ChameliKaYaar
ChameliKaYaar

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged
Somebody mentioned the word "inspiration". Inspiration is different from Plagiarism. Sometimes Inspiration is used euphemistically for Plagiarism..

I believe in the 3 strike rule....meaning an ascending level of punishment for plagiarism leading upto termination/expulsion on the 3rd offense. In other words, have a stiff punishment for the first offense. A stiffer punishment with a "last warning before expulsion" on the second offense and then actual expulsion on the third offense.
Anastacia IF-Veteran Member
Anastacia
Anastacia

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged

Great topic Tanaz. Clap Here is my 2 cents on plagarism and inspiration:

I think expulsion is the right sentence if you plagarize something. Everything deserves credit. I think expulsion from university is the right sentence. In high school, plagarism is not a serious offense, but would result in one getting a 0 for an assignment. I think highschool is a bridge between elementary and university, where things are more lenient and is preparing you for the real world, but not quite yet (no expulsions for plagiarism). However, I do agree that university prepares us for the real world and lets us know about the consequences for our actions, be it now or in the future...

white rose IF-Sizzlerz
white rose
white rose

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged
This topic caught my eye because i just happened to finish a practical legal research report. I'think plagerism is a real serious issue and i remember at Uni there were really strict guidelines as to what was deemed 'suitable' and what would be considered to be plagerised. I think on the whole you are unlikely to find in an undergraduate's essay ideas which are entirely their own. Most tend to rely on say articles from journals and books etc. I think this is all well and good- the line and i think its a really thin one is whether you literally copy and paste and just change a few words or you take the time out to understand the work before you and use it to help shape your views.

I used to think even at Uni that expulsion for plagerism was a little harsh in some circumstances. However ive now come to realise that the standards that are put in place at Uni are there for a reason. Post university when a person is going into a profession or particular career there are certain ways that things should be done. A certain level of integrity is essential no matter what walk of life you may be from. I think the consequences of plagerism need to be emphasised from a young age.

I think the important point to remember is, whether a little 'plagerism' is really worth it.At my law school you are reported for any plagerism no matter how little it may be, and you can be expelled from the Law Society.
So the consequences of plagerism can be high, and i really dont think its worth the risk..and if done then well i think in all honesty you have to bear the consequences of it.

Uzi
seema_17 IF-Rockerz
seema_17
seema_17

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 7:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

Originally posted by vdevang

There is a big difference between plagiarism and inspiring. So first we must know this difference. Generally, we consider inspiration as plagiarism, which is not true. Nobody is this world is "inspiration-free". Everyone gets inspired by something or someone in their life. It's just human nature.

Considering the fact that inspiration can be mistaken for plagiarism, is it fair to expel students for such offenses?

no T. i think thats the prob. sometimes there is no other way of saying a statement... like i have had so many problems trying to summarize a sentence in a diff. way, just so that it doesn't look like i copied. but u kno sometimes a sentence sounds best the way it was originally written. Also as u said something could have inspired u... so it is very wrong to be expelled for that

Go to top