Debate Mansion

Expulsion for Plagiarism - Fair Justice?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 12 November 2006 at 3:59pm | IP Logged

When you come to University, plagiarism is considered to be a serious academic offense. You get expelled for copying someone else's work and passing it off as your own.

But, should a plagiarist be expelled? Or should he/she get a zero on the assignment?

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Your views, please. Smile  

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Expulsion for Plagiarism - Fair Justice?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 12 November 2006 at 7:20pm | IP Logged

A Zero on the grade is more appropriate if the student confesses, If not it is the proffesor's word that might destroy a student's life

Edited by sareg - 12 November 2006 at 9:59pm

TallyHo

IF-Rockerz

TallyHo

Posted: 12 November 2006 at 10:34pm | IP Logged
Plagarism in a work environment could have serious repurcussions for not just the individual but for for the employers as well.. and since a university is a place where you are preparing for the real world I think an offence like this should be treated seriously and harsh punishment is warranted...

It is not just about not making the effort to do your own work...higher ethical amd moral issues are involved as well...

A system could be worked out where a warning is issued and a F grade is given in the first instance...but any repeat offence should lead to immediate expulsion!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 12 November 2006 at 11:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

When you come to University, plagiarism is considered to be a serious academic offense. You get expelled for copying someone else's work and passing it off as your own.

But, should a plagiarist be expelled? Or should he/she get a zero on the assignment?

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Your views, please. Smile  

I believe the extent of plagiarism will decide how harsh the punishment should be.
There was an incidence when a professor at the Univ. of Pune and hs student plagiarized a publication and THESIS for Ph.D. work.  they both got expelled and I think it was fair enough.  It takes years to generate a peer reviewed publication going into a journal of substance.  one cannot steal it and get his degree.  One should not attempt / think about it, period!

if somebody copied an assignment on the other hand, it is not so severe than one gets the boot.  One should be WARNED and should be kept on radar (like me on IF probably with 1 warning Cry)   so that they don;t repeat this.  It depends on what they plagirized and for what..

QT

Snape

Snape

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 12:54am | IP Logged
ok... let me tell you a story ... :p

in the univ, for a very difficult practical course, we copied from an old report .... ok, now the teacher who was in charge, was a bit shocked to see our report ...

he told us, that he remembered the report and it was his original work ! Ouch Ouch

though I agree that for such crimes, a student should be awarded 0 marks, but expelling someone from univ for that is a bit of a capital punishment ... cummon, cheating is human !

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 6:02am | IP Logged
I agree with TallyHo. To add more I'll say that at university level students are mature enough to know what is right and wrong and they should be exposed to consequences with harsh punishment 'coz like Tallyho said at corporate level there could be harsher consequences to it.

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 2:10am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

vdevang

vdevang

Posted: 14 November 2006 at 7:57am | IP Logged
There is a big difference between plagiarism and inspiring. So first we must know this difference. Generally, we consider inspiration as plagiarism, which is not true. Nobody is this world is "inspiration-free". Everyone gets inspired by something or someone in their life. It's just human nature.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top