Tv serials - entertainment?!

seema_17 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
hi guys if anyone is confused by the title let me clarify, i meant, r the television serials coming out now, sending the wrong message? probably this topic has been widely discussed but what prompted me to post this thread is the goings on that we see in recent television serials, especially the balaji teleserials. I think ekta kappoor is a smart woman cuz most of her tv serials r based on the high class society, which is prob just around 8-10 percent of the world's population. and the majority of the tv serials watching population are the ladies from the middle class families that don't work, and ekta kappoor satisfies their fascination of the upper class females by making her tv serials. But what concerns me is the promiscuosness shown in her shows. where men n women marry on average atleast 4-5 times. have lots of extra marital affairs. And also i believe she portrays women very negatively in her shows, her shows always have ATLEAST 1-2 vamps at any point in time, who will stoop to any level to get revenge from the poor innocent heroince for some imaginary insult. What concerns me is that she is not showing reality, becuz in reality, most ppl don't have characters n morals, as white as snow or black as soot, we all have our grey shades. They show a lot if intimacy n introduce a lot of disturbing ideas like, sleeping with say ur sister's husband, or extra marital offences in general, abortion, n TONS of divorces. I mean when they show these things in a movie it can be partially justified by the fact that the movies can have ratings, n hence the government can control if it can be viewed by kids n such. but when they showit on tv, it is open to all kinds of audiences including kids, who might be present while these shows are usually going on, because in india the family time is usually in the evening till about 9:30 or 10, which is when these shows r on. n let us not forget that ppl usually try to imitate or pick up habits from ppl who they believe r superior to them in status. So what message are these soaps sending to the younger generation? to the future of our india? that one shld break the sanctity of marraige with extra marital affairs n all these kinda of things, n it is perfectly acceptable to sleep with ur brother in law? in my opinion i find that ekta kappoor is worse than all the skimpily dressed dancers in the remixes, because although they may arouse interest in ppl, n attract their attention, they don't neccessarily advocate for extra marital affairs, etc. Should we as either citizens of india, or ppl belonging to the indian society let all these things be shown on tv, or shld we finally voice our opinions on what they show on tv.... so far i think the censor boards aren't doing much of a great job at preserving our indian culture n habits.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

seema_17 thumbnail
if we take her storylines to be the general trend in india, then have we really started losing our cultural and all the good values that our family n peers have instilled in us?
seema_17 thumbnail
any views abt this? or is this not as much of an issue as i think it is.
Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I have a habit of commenting on everything under the sun, irrspective of whether I have any idea about the subject or not - just looove to do it - and shall appoint here (appoint as opposed to disappoint)

To begin, it is not correct to compare soap plots with filmy ones.

Hindi films very rarely deviate from the old tried and tested formulae. The soaps on the other hand, have different flavours and are quite different from the hero-heroine-villan-vamp quadrangle.

Do not assume that the plots that the soaps take on are unrealistic. All writers draw from real life experience and I wouldn't be surprised if many scenes are based on actual happenings.

Finally, whether it is OK for children to watch - I reckon that's for the parents to decide.

See, if it is OK to watch Mahabharata where the potrayals were highly fantasised, highly unrealistic and supremely dubious then what's the harm in watching any other show. (Note - I am not criticising the Mahabrata itself, which I consider to be much more than just an epic. I say this against RS's presentation of the story)
reeha_k thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Well the main point is ...its NOT reality...sure some ppl may take offense to some things...but then agian everyone has a different ophinion...and we cant blame extra marital afferis or other things that happen in soap or tv serials on soaps and tv serials...because its a matter of personal choice and commen sense....if you watch a soap and chose to follow that charecter's life style...then go ahead...its only 'suppoesed' to be entertainment but some ppl are just too into it and go overboared...but thats there fault...and ekta kapoor didtn start making soaps to prove how smart she is...bottom line to her its about money...to us its about the serial and the charecters in them... 😊
ChameliKaYaar thumbnail
Supreme Court should set up a tribunal of former judges excluding Ram Jethmalani and pass a special order which should read as follows...
   " In order to reduce the debauchery, failed marriages and number of happy couples after divorces, this court orders fumigation of neuron cells of brains of all the producers of Ekta Kapoor Genre, bombard them with the gamma cells to ensure complete annihilation, freeze it in nitozen tank, strap it with the booster rocket of the space shuttle and detached in the 3rd stage of fuel cells detahcment in deep space so even the haley comet does not get contaminated and risk bringing it back in next aeon".
ORDER ORDER
πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Bhaskar.T thumbnail

Originally posted by: ChameliKaYaar

Supreme Court should set up a tribunal of former judges excluding Ram Jethmalani and pass a special order which should read as follows...
   " In order to reduce the debauchery, failed marriages and number of happy couples after divorces, this court orders fumigation of neuron cells of brains of all the producers of Ekta Kapoor Genre, bombard them with the gamma cells to ensure complete annihilation, freeze it in nitozen tank, strap it with the booster rocket of the space shuttle and detached in the 3rd stage of fuel cells detahcment in deep space so even the haley comet does not get contaminated and risk bringing it back in next aeon".
ORDER ORDER
πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†

Well said Manish.

ChameliKaYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bhaskar.T

πŸ˜†

Well said Manish.

Danke😳

Prenz~13 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ChameliKaYaar

ORDER ORDER
πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†well sed!