Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Why do Indian kids have to study a major which pleases their parents?

LoveProfusion IF-Sizzlerz
LoveProfusion
LoveProfusion

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 10:58am | IP Logged
It seems that Indian kids these days can't study a major they want to.  It is all about pleasing the parents.  I studied business/finance because it pays well but I have been working in this field for many years without happiness.  Why do Indian kids have to study a major which pleases their parents?  Please share your thoughts.  Shocked

K.Universe. Goldie
K.Universe.
K.Universe.

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by MrMadonnaCicone

It seems that Indian kids these days can't study a major they want to.  It is all about pleasing the parents.  I studied business/finance because it pays well but I have been working in this field for many years without happiness.  Why do Indian kids have to study a major which pleases their parents?  Please share your thoughts.  Shocked

I would think the ones paying for the college tuition, living expenses and more, should definitely have a major say in what direction the kid(s) should head after the 12th grade. Even setting aside the funding aspect of it, most parents, I presume, have a better idea than the kids themselves regarding the kids' potential, after having raised them for 18 years or so and after having seen them from close quarters. They would know how to do the risk-reward analysis from the point of view of the kids' potential and aligning it with external reality.

Plus, nothing is stopping the kids from pursuing their real goals after they "escape" their parents' clutches. Life presents plenty of opportunities for everyone to do what they want. Maybe one can't easily transition into sports (since the window to succeed in sports usually closes pretty early in ones life) but otherwise if you consider the science/commerce/arts disciplines, switching careers midway is not an impossible thing to do.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mr.ass

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 10:13pm | IP Logged
parents know best.. Its better to listen to them almost always - its all worldly advice!
maha2us IF-Dazzler
maha2us
maha2us

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 7:23am | IP Logged
In India, parents take the responsibility to see that their son/daughter gets the best of the education and is settled in a well paying job and also are married in a proper family. They are pained when their son fares badly in exams. Even though parents want the best for their children, I do accept some parents are not totally positive and push their children in uncomfortable ways. As far parents, one thing I understand is the main duty they have is to instil confidence and self-belief  in their children and very few parents are able to do the needful in this line and this is the case in both India or any other country.

It is true in USA, anyone can choose a major to study irrespective of what their parents want as the parents don't finance the major. Yet will the kid succeed based on this major? Does he really make the choice based on his passion? Even in USA, mostly everyone makes the choice based on employment prospects and not out of passion. the only aspect absent here is parents don't make the choice. Some persons go for more than one major when they find the major they studied is not appealing.

For anyone to pursue his/her passion, it is possible only when there is confidence and self-belief within that person and mostly the confidence, self-belief and positive thinking are fostered by the parents only within the kids. When the parents encourage the children to trust themselves, children do well in their passion.

Starwalker. IF-Rockerz
Starwalker.
Starwalker.

BollyCurry Editor

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 8:34am | IP Logged

The main reason that Indian kids have to study the major which pleases their parents is that Indian kids depend on their parents till they complete graduation whereas in countries like States, the majority of the kids earn their own money through part time jobs.

Independence is the key I think, and from my personal experience if you do a part time job and start earn some money for yourself your parents will begin to have more trust in you and they'll respect your choices.

Edited by Starkheart. - 27 April 2016 at 8:37am

LoveProfusion

QuietlyLoud IF-Dazzler
QuietlyLoud
QuietlyLoud

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 10:35am | IP Logged
Because Indian culture is collectivistic. Family/group goals are given importance over individual needs and desires.

LoveProfusion

-Tulips- IF-Sizzlerz
-Tulips-
-Tulips-

Captain Kalaunji

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:14pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by MrMadonnaCicone

It seems that Indian kids these days can't study a major they want to. It is all about pleasing the parents. I studied business/finance because it pays well but I have been working in this field for many years without happiness. Why do Indian kids have to study a major which pleases their parents? Please share your thoughts. Shocked

Are u talking about Indian kids studying in India or abroad?

I am born and brought up in India.After finishing 10th grade,my parents wanted me to take up Science but I insisted on taking up Commerce.My parents were a little upset as they always dreamed of making me a Doctor but they never forced their decisions on me.They let me choose my career path and today they are proud of me for whatever I am. Smile

India is advancing and so is the mentality of Indians.Not every parent forces their children to do what they want.They allow the children to pursue their dreams and their career.Just because Indian teenagers don't earn money at a young age like in USA that doesn't mean they are not independent.

Yes,there are some parents who impose their decisions on their children but not everyone. Smile

LoveProfusion

Padfoot_Prongs IF-Sizzlerz
Padfoot_Prongs
Padfoot_Prongs

Posted: 28 April 2016 at 1:19am | IP Logged
The problem in India is not just Parents and money. I will give u my example. I love maths. I wud have loved to pursue it for PhD. But I didn't get admission in a good university in MSc. because they wanted Maths(Honours) student only which I was not.
Wat my parents wanted was me to clear Civil services. But my sister wanted me to go for post graduation at any cost. I got 97 percentile in CAT exam and hence she asked me to go for MBA which I did because she paid for that, not that it was that costly as it was govt institution. But after that,  I went for Civil services. I am still preparing and now I cant pursue maths also as I am not in touch with this subject since 6 years. 

One person can't pursue their interest after a certain period of time. Parents do force their views in many cases but that is because of the limited choices they have gotten. Not every parent can support the child till 30 or something. Parents want the children to have a good job after a certain age limit. A good Job comes with few degrees. 

Also they are forced by the marking system like few 50% marks one will get Sanskrit Honours only in a decent University like DU. They have to go for this if they want their graduation degree from DU.

The parents are not cruel in many cases. They just want good for their kids. specially now when there are so many cases of suicides of students in Kota and other coaching areas, parents are becoming more lenient. 

LoveProfusion

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top