Love, Friendship, Dating & Relationships

India-Forums

Post pictures of what you love (Page 39)

Angel-likeDevil IF-Stunnerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:17pm | IP Logged
All his paintings have a 'fineness' and the colors are so lovely :)

^^Portrait of Napoleon

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 14 May 2017 at 1:17pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Nynaeve---Betty---

---Betty--- IF-Rockerz
---Betty---
---Betty---

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

Betty, when I saw it, I thought it was digital painting! Big smile
wonder what type of paints and canvas was used :) ..just amazed that it was all hand-drawn.

It's oil on canvas, not sure what type... 

(I thought about using this as my DP Smile)

It took Ingres three years to complete it (completed in 1845)

Love the colors used, her light blue evening gown set against the dark blue cloth that covers the mantle... The golden yellow of her discarded cloak and her jewelry, the gold frame of the mirror, the flowers, the green plant, blue and gold vase  (or is it perfume bottle?) above all the splash of red ribbon in her hair that draws viewer's eyes upward to her lovely face and large grey eyes Star

I had hard time locating the opera glasses on the mantelpiece though Big smile 

If you want you know more about this portrait and the subject Louise de Broglie 

Edited by ---Betty--- - 14 May 2017 at 2:12pm

NynaeveAngel-likeDevil

Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:04pm | IP Logged
TFS TFS Big smile ..I didn't notice opera glasses too! Green bottle? you mean one on the left side of the painting, looks like a vase? :-)
will come back tomorrow Betty, sleep right now ..goodnight :)

Nynaeve---Betty---

Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
and yesss!! sure make it your DP Big smile will miss the handsome man though Smile

Nynaeve---Betty---

---Betty--- IF-Rockerz
---Betty---
---Betty---

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

TFS TFS Big smile ..I didn't notice opera glasses too! Green bottle? you mean one on the left side of the painting, looks like a vase? :-)
will come back tomorrow Betty, sleep right now ..goodnight :)

Yes that one, but it's not green, it's Blue Vase with ornate gold top and bottom (Edited my post) 
Yeah the opera glasses are on the mantel near the potted plant & flowers...

The yellow evening wrap tossed on the armchair and the opera glasses suggests she has just arrived home, perhaps from the opera... The visitors' cards, some with corners turned down means she had visitors when she was out Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Nynaeve

Nynaeve IF-Dazzler
Nynaeve
Nynaeve

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:00pm | IP Logged
@Betty, 

The paintings are lovely and I never knew about this painter so I had to read him up.  (I just need an excuse to read and you gave me a reason). The biography in the site rogallery.com mentions that he was good at playing the violin. I have reproduced the text below:

Ingres's well-known passion for playing the violin gave to the French language a colloquialism, "violon d'Ingres", meaning a second skill beyond the one by which a person is mainly known. The American avant-garde artist Man Ray used this expression as the title of a famous photograph portraying Alice Prin (aka Kiki de Montparnasse) in the pose of the Valpinon Bather.

His actual skill on the violin is a matter of dispute. He played Beethoven string quartets with Niccolo Paganini. In an 1839 letter, Franz Liszt described his playing as "charming", and planned to play through all the Mozart and Beethoven violin sonatas with Ingres. Liszt also dedicated his transcriptions of the 5th and 6th symphonies of Beethoven to Ingres on their original publication in 1840. Charles Gounod was non-committal, merely noting that "he was not a professional, even less a virtuoso". But Sir Charles Hall was scathing, writing "He thought less of his paintings than his violin playing, which, to say the least of it, was vile".

And one more thing, in your first post you mentioned that the reflection disturbs you, you are right, it actually does not seem to be the true reflection of the Louise. But if you look at the paintings that Angel posted, of Baroness Rothchild, her pose would enable that reflection. That is what I felt. 

But the simpler explanation would be that Ingress was known for "body enlongation" and the reflection was a "reflection " of this facet of his

---Betty---

---Betty--- IF-Rockerz
---Betty---
---Betty---

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:14pm | IP Logged
@Nynaeve Didn't know about the phrase "violon d'Ingres" Smile

You're so right Baroness Rothchild's pose would've enabled that reflection in Louise de Broglie portrait... Was Ingres painting both of them at the same time and got confused LOL

'Body elongation' - Not sure about that, If anything it seems the opposite... Now Modigliani, he was known for his elongated figures 

Here is another Ingres portrait,  "Madame Moitessie" 

Again the reflection in the mirror seems to be off LOL

This portrait looks more life like than others... The shadows of her neck and right hand on her shoulders, but the highlight for me atleast is the ruby and pearl bracelet on her right arm Star Smile
It looks so real, again with shadow on her arm Star

Doesn't it look like a B&W photograph Smile

---Betty--- IF-Rockerz
---Betty---
---Betty---

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged
A Bar at the Folies-Bergere (1882) the last major work of French painter Edouard Manet, has generated much speculation and debate. 
The reason being the visual inconsistencies or outright errors of Manet's painted "reflections". LOL

Folies-Bergere is a nightclub in Paris, opened in 1869, it's still in business. The woman at the bar was an actual barmaid at Folies-Berger. Her name was Suzon. And that's a large mirror behind her Smile

Nynaeve

Go to top