Love, Friendship, Dating & Relationships

Post pictures of what you love - Page 30

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago
TFS TFS 😃 ..I didn't notice opera glasses too! Green bottle? you mean one on the left side of the painting, looks like a vase? :-)
will come back tomorrow Betty, sleep right now ..goodnight :)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
and yesss!! sure make it your DP 😃 will miss the handsome man though 😊
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

TFS TFS 😃 ..I didn't notice opera glasses too! Green bottle? you mean one on the left side of the painting, looks like a vase? :-)

will come back tomorrow Betty, sleep right now ..goodnight :)

Yes that one, but it's not green, it's Blue Vase with ornate gold top and bottom (Edited my post) 
Yeah the opera glasses are on the mantel near the potted plant & flowers...

The yellow evening wrap tossed on the armchair and the opera glasses suggests she has just arrived home, perhaps from the opera... The visitors' cards, some with corners turned down means she had visitors when she was out 😊
Nynaeve thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@Betty, 

The paintings are lovely and I never knew about this painter so I had to read him up.  (I just need an excuse to read and you gave me a reason). The biography in the site rogallery.com mentions that he was good at playing the violin. I have reproduced the text below:

Ingres's well-known passion for playing the violin gave to the French language a colloquialism, "violon d'Ingres", meaning a second skill beyond the one by which a person is mainly known. The American avant-garde artist Man Ray used this expression as the title of a famous photograph portraying Alice Prin (aka Kiki de Montparnasse) in the pose of the Valpinon Bather.

His actual skill on the violin is a matter of dispute. He played Beethoven string quartets with Niccolo Paganini. In an 1839 letter, Franz Liszt described his playing as "charming", and planned to play through all the Mozart and Beethoven violin sonatas with Ingres. Liszt also dedicated his transcriptions of the 5th and 6th symphonies of Beethoven to Ingres on their original publication in 1840. Charles Gounod was non-committal, merely noting that "he was not a professional, even less a virtuoso". But Sir Charles Hall was scathing, writing "He thought less of his paintings than his violin playing, which, to say the least of it, was vile".

And one more thing, in your first post you mentioned that the reflection disturbs you, you are right, it actually does not seem to be the true reflection of the Louise. But if you look at the paintings that Angel posted, of Baroness Rothchild, her pose would enable that reflection. That is what I felt. 

But the simpler explanation would be that Ingress was known for "body enlongation" and the reflection was a "reflection " of this facet of his
TotalBetty thumbnail
@Nynaeve Didn't know about the phrase "violon d'Ingres" 😊

You're so right Baroness Rothchild's pose would've enabled that reflection in Louise de Broglie portrait... Was Ingres painting both of them at the same time and got confused 😆

'Body elongation' - Not sure about that, If anything it seems the opposite... Now Modigliani, he was known for his elongated figures 

Here is another Ingres portrait,  "Madame Moitessie" 

Again the reflection in the mirror seems to be off 😆

This portrait looks more life like than others... The shadows of her neck and right hand on her shoulders, but the highlight for me atleast is the ruby and pearl bracelet on her right arm ⭐️ 😊
It looks so real, again with shadow on her arm ⭐️

Doesn't it look like a B&W photograph 😊

TotalBetty thumbnail
A Bar at the Folies-Bergere (1882) the last major work of French painter Edouard Manet, has generated much speculation and debate. 
The reason being the visual inconsistencies or outright errors of Manet's painted "reflections". 😆

Folies-Bergere is a nightclub in Paris, opened in 1869, it's still in business. The woman at the bar was an actual barmaid at Folies-Berger. Her name was Suzon. And that's a large mirror behind her 😊

TotalBetty thumbnail
^^^This is confusing... I am confused  about what I am supposed to be confused about, what all the debate is about 

I didn't realize that's a large mirror behind her and the gentleman, probably a customer, conversing with her is a reflection too.
And I thought there were three figures (two barmaids and a customer) apart from the audience, in the painting 

Later learned there's only one barmaid and another one is her reflection but then where does the gentleman come from?

Confusion among scholars and critics arose from this use of perspective. Is the viewer meant to be the mustachioed man to the right! If so, the angles of the mirror seem off. Is it Manet's mistake? 

In the reflection it looks like she's leaning towards him and engaged but in reality she looks withdrawn and totally unintetesred

The mirror doesn't reflect what it's suppose to reflect and shows what it shouldn't 

Btw the brown bottle with a red triangle on it's label is Bass Brewery. This beer is still in production today 😃
TotalBetty thumbnail
Las Meninas (1656) By Spanish Painter Diego Velazquez is one of the most important and analyzed work in western history.This painting has inspired many future artworks, including the above piece by Manet

Snapshots were more than 200 years in the future but Velazquez gives us just that in this enchanting painting ❤️ ⭐️  a moment frozen in time at the court of King Philip IV of Spain ⭐️

The center of the portrait is princess Margaret Theresa, eldest daughter of King Philip IV of Spain and his new Queen Mariana. She is flanked by her two maids of honor (Las Meninas), a chaperone, a bodyguard and two dwarfs and a sleepy dog. In the rear a gentleman has stopped suddenly on a flight of stairs, but to viewers it looks like he's about to step in or out of painting 😃

A mirror on the back wall reflects the upper bodies and heads King Philip IV and Queen Mariana. They're placed in a position similar to that of us viewers 

However, it is unclear as to who is the true subject. Is it the royal daughter, or perhaps the painter himself (that is Velazquez holding the brush in front of the huge canvas, he ingeniously included himself in the painting) Or is it the King and Queen?

Are the royal couple posing or just watching? Some say that is a portrait of the royal couple not a mirror

No single theory has found universal agreement yet 😊
TotalBetty thumbnail
Silence, emptiness, alienation are primary themes of American painter Edward Hopper's (1882-1967) works.

This painting "Summertime(1943)", as a whole projects the vast emptiness of modern urban existence. 

It's a sweltering day in New York City. A young girl in clingy, see-through white dress and no pupils is shown all alone, staring out on a empty street with the backdrop of impersonal city building

TotalBetty thumbnail
Along with depicting loneliness and isolation of modern American life, Hopper's paintings also shows another facet of modern city life - the opportunity to watch complete strangers without being seen by them 😊

New York Movie 1930

Gas 1940

Room in New York

Automat 1927

NightWindows 1928
Edited by ---Betty--- - 6 years ago