touch_of_pink IF-Sizzlerz
touch_of_pink
touch_of_pink

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 2:28pm | IP Logged

I want to produce meaningful cinema'

Says actor Jackky Bhagnani who turns producer with Sarbjit

Chaya Unnikrishnan

Enlarge Image

Jackyy Bhagnani, who was last seen in the film Welcome To Karachi, has turned producer with the biopic Sarbjit. His father Vashu Bhagnani is known for producing masala films like Hero No 1, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan, Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein and Shaadi No 1 among others. In fact, Jackyy was launched by his father in Kal Kisne Dekha. While he will continue to act, he will also focus on producing meaningful cinema and Sarbjit is the first to roll. Here he talks about the reason he turned producer, acting in his productions and more...

When you already have your father's banner what was the need for you to produce films separately?

Let me make it clear that I have not launched my own production company. It is a division of Pooja Films, which belongs to my father. I have always wanted to make more meaningful and different cinema that are content. Pooja Films is primarily known for larger-than-life, commercial films. That is why my sister Deepshikha and I decided to have a separate division for differential cinema.

What prompted you to produce Sarbjit?

It is a great story that needs to be told. Like Sarbjit there are many innocent Indians who have been languishing in Pakistani jails. A Mumbai engineer Hamid Ansari who went there in search of his love is in jail for over three years. Then there was Kripal Singh whose body was returned to India with his liver and heart missing.

Didn't you want to act in the film?

Any actor would have wanted to play Sarbjit, but what Randeep Hooda has brought to the film is unique. No other actor could have done what he has. In fact, both Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and he are perfect for the film. That does not mean I can't be part of a good film in some other way. I have been multitasking and have worked as an assistant in an unofficial capacity several times before I became an actor.

How was it working with Aishwarya?

It was Omung's (Kumar) conviction as a director that he put together the cast. I am happy and grateful that she is part of my film. I know her for 20 years. We were in the same building and when I was in school, she used to teach me how to make rangoli (Smiles). Life has come a full circle for me.

Will you be acting in your productions?

That should not and will never be the criteria. Not every film will have space for me. Moreover, it is completely the director's call. If the director feels I will fit the role and if I think it's right for me, I will do it. Both should go hand-in-hand. But my acting career moves separately. Producing and acting are two different paths and don't need to intercross.

As an actor would you drastically age or undergo physical transformation?

I would love to do that. I am looking at doing challenging roles and different kind of films. That's what inspired me to become an actor. However, one has to do some quintessential roles that require singing and dancing. It's a good thing that what people called art cinema five years ago is now part of the mainstream. I would say the role I played in Youngistan was challeging. I played a young prime minister and I had no reference to pull out from. Rajiv Gandhi has been the youngest Prime Minister, but I played one who became PM at 26-27, and was in a live-in relationship.

What next as a producer and an actor?

As of now, I am still waiting as I don't want to jump into anything which might not be correct for me as an actor. As a producer, I am still completely focussed on Sarbjit, which is releasing next month. Only after that will I start looking at other scripts.

Published Date:  Apr 23, 2016

http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.aspx?id=89222&boxid=40985&ed_date=2016-04-23&ed_code=820004&ed_page=6

Edited by touch_of_pink - 22 April 2016 at 2:28pm

rimi2983 IF-Dazzler
rimi2983
rimi2983

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 2:32pm | IP Logged
Jacky Bhagnani, Uday Chopra, Girish ...they all will eventually turn producers.
TheBoss IF-Sizzlerz
TheBoss
TheBoss

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 2:33pm | IP Logged
Bhagnani literally means run grandmother. LOL
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top