Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

SRK's FAN - What went wrong? Trade speaks up (Page 4)

OJ6.0 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 1:43am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

touch_of_pink IF-Sizzlerz
touch_of_pink
touch_of_pink

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 2:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by divaz

i wish you were right but that doesn't explain how mindless salman khan movies and movies like dilwale hny work at the box office
oh and add akki to the list his movies like rowdy rathore did pretty well

Sorry, but I find your argument outdated. Forget Rowdy Rathore which released 4 years ago. Look at the films that have worked and not worked in the last year.

Akshay Kumar: Baby and Airlift performed better than Brothers and Singh is Bling.
Ajay Devgan: Drishyam performed better than Prabhudeva directed Action Jackson.
Salman Khan: Had 2 releases last year. Bajrangi Bhaijaan performed brilliantly but PRDP underperformed.
Dilwale was directed by guaranteed blockbuster filmmaker Rohit Shetty. It was going to "pulverize" Bajirao Mastani at the box office. Needless to say that didn't happen.
Welcome Back didn't even cross 100 crore in the end.

I can't even remember now what other mindless masala films released last year. Ermm

Films that have worked in the last year: Badlapur, NH10, Dum Laga Ke Haisha, NH10, Piku, TWMR, Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Talvar.
So far this year, Airlift, Neerja and Kapoor & Sons have worked. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

bigulOJ6.0Star_girl2RsFan

TheRager IF-Addictz
TheRager
TheRager

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 3:02am | IP Logged
IMO if a film has to work it WILL work no matter what. Comparing with Kapoor and Sons before its release the scenario was really scary with first Saturday having a India-Pak match and T20 WC scheduled throughout its run. Not to mention the exam season in India. The movie seemed headed for sure shot disaster. No other BW producer wanted to touch that date with a barge pole and KJo seemed like a fool going ahead with it. Also the fact that one of the two main leads was a homosexual and such movies havent worked before at the BO. But BAM! it started working. Even the homosexual character worked in the movie's favor and these very same factors were given as the cause of the movie's success by trade guys who were not warm towards the film before its release. 
I also remember last year ABCD2 worked during the pre Eid period admidst floods in Mumbai. Then we had Piku releasing one week before biggie BV and we know what happened. 
Similarly if Fan had to work it would have worked no matter what. It simply didnt get the WOM it needed. I dont know why because I personally loved the film. It was never a massy film and wasnt going to work among the masses anyway but its target multiplex audience also didnt warm up to it. It didnt help that there was The Jungle Book around so those looking for entertainment had another option which had great WOM. 
But having said that I have noticed SRK films have a lot of negativity from the trade guys. First Dilwale and now Fan. I think all these trade guys like Taran, Komal, KRK, Indicine publishing figures and salivating about the film's drop in figures right from Friday evening didnt help matters. If I wasnt a fan of SRK I would be wary of seeing the film myself with these people brandishing such figures and painting a dismal picture. The multiplex audience which was the film's target audience is anyway on the internet and it would have impacted their decision to see the film too. I am not sure why the negativity happens around SRK's films-maybe he doesnt pay them or they simply hate him or something else but he better address it. This was the first time I saw Taran Adarsh who is a very diplomatic guy otherwise try and do a KRK and discredit Fan. 

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

MrsChandlerBinganitaraniangrybread-Anku--DZ-

angrybread IF-Sizzlerz
angrybread
angrybread

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 3:51am | IP Logged
But i liked 2nd half more so i disagree with no 1 critic KRK  Embarrassed

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-DZ-

-Anku- IF-Stunnerz
-Anku-
-Anku-

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 5:06am | IP Logged
Yaar it was an experiment, not a commercial masala entertainer. It's worked in spite of a lot being against it. If success only means Box office numbers I might as well never pay attention to it. A movie with a performance like the one SRK gave here is more welcome to a bollywood fan like me than have him cross 200 crores benchmarks and not be remembered for it. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ilovecrepes-DZ-

Inquisitivesoul IF-Sizzlerz
Inquisitivesoul
Inquisitivesoul

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 5:51am | IP Logged
I agree.

It's good that both SRK & YRF tried something new but that does not excuse a shoddy writing or direction.

The movie displayed a lack of common sense in so many scenes. The script had do much scope to strike a perfect balance between more entertainment and content. Darr is a classic example of it - had everything.

Its almost as if they were trying to prove a point by adding so songs. There was no need for that.There is clearly something to learn from this and just do better.SRK is an intelligent guy who would realize where they went wrong.The concept was good and he did act well - no one can take that away from him.
guftagoo IF-Rockerz
guftagoo
guftagoo

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 6:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

Originally posted by turqoisedress

"You never know! If only there was a happy ending with Aryan dancing on the title song 'Jabra Fan' at Gaurav's wedding," Atul says in retrospect, "It could well have been a fair tribute to a Fan as on one end the superstar is taking millions to dance at a wedding, and then on the other he pays his own homage to a Fanby dancing on his wedding. You never know, the prospects of Fan could have been better this way." 

Well, who knows!

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/features/type/view/id/10256

Well wow. And then sometimes I wonder why it took so long after this so called rebirth of 'masala' for audience to even begin being receptive to and even demand better content. This kind of thinking is the reason why bigwigs in the industry are scared to take any risks. 

THIS!!!

No wonder Sonakshi never signed another Lootera..Big smile

And what about Tamanche pe disco, Action jackson? So will she stop doing masala films now, given they tanked at the box office? Confused

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ilovecrepesStar_girltouch_of_pink

Sri-R IF-Rockerz
Sri-R
Sri-R

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 6:48am | IP Logged
To hell with these people and their analysis. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-DZ-

Go to top