The difference between TV and Movies of 90's and now?

Posted: 7 years ago

It's Stark. And most of it is due to computers. 

I feel TV has degraded to pits in that regard. 90's has far better shows, variety and concepts.

As for movies, they haven't seen that kind of shift/change as TV has seen. But do you think 90's and early 2000's had far more challenging roles and more scope for female lead than in recent movies? 

I think most of the members are 90's born or grown up at least... And have been witnesses to how digitization has changed the world. Wanna know what/how you all feel? 
TV in 90s >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TV now
Movies in 90s<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Movies now 
Originally posted by Chameli_billi

Such a simple explanation, my dear OSO😆 

But wasn't shelf life and quality of roles for female leads better in 90's than now? 
Even the Khans did variety of roles. 

I can see the number of '<<<' is less for movies😆 What makes you feel movies now are marginally better? Or is it that movies have evolved every decade and the trend continued? 
Originally posted by Chameli_billi

This.
Originally posted by drummedup

Such a simple explanation, my dear OSO😆 

But wasn't shelf life and quality of roles for female leads better in 90's than now? 
Even the Khans did variety of roles. 

I can see the number of '<<<' is less for movies😆 What makes you feel movies now are marginally better? Or is it that movies have evolved every decade and the trend continued? 

That was my knee-jerk reaction but very accurate. 😆

The shelf life of film actresses in 90s compared to those from 2000 era wasn't better at all. I mean Juhi started losing out main lead roles in 2001 (she did some bhabhi type role in Ek Rishta to Akshay and Karishma), Manisha, Urmila, Karisma, Raveena all started fading out around the early 200s. At most, they had about a decade of shelf life. Even Rani and Priety's reign ended in 2008 (only a decade later). 

Now look at the 2000s actresses, Kareena started in 2000 and she is still playing lead roles. PC in 2003 and she's still doing great. Even Katrina the non-actress who started with a Boom in 2003 is still doing lead roles. 😆

Plus, movies nowadays are a lot better. You get an Aamir, a Lootera, Udaan, Dev.D, Masaan, English Vinglish every now and then along with the staple masala films. Also, there is a high chance for small but well made films to do great due to good word of mouth on social media. I love the 90s because of the nostalgia factor but other than that, there's not much to it.😆
Interesting topic in an otherwise insane forum. 😆 

The movies since the last decade (2000s) have started exploring characters that are not heroic, flawless or perfect. Writing wise, good characters are more layered and rooted. Even the Bollywood audience has become more accepting to different genres and main leads being just protagonist and not heroes. Not saying that the era of 'Heroes' and 'Heroism' is over though. It is still intact. Earlier too, there were some great movies with strong characters but most of them were majorly heroic. 

Even though the trends are changing, there were some fabulous movies back in 90s too. But I personally think that the movies of 2000s were a perfect balance of all kinds of heroism, realism and experimental stuff etc..etc..That was the decade where the transformation was happening and we started warming up to the kind of 'story-oriented' movies we gush about these days. I think that particular transformation has been pretty lovely. 
Edited by Kaapi - 7 years ago
TV in the 90's was way better than now and the films now r way better than the 90's...
bhgaban belong to 2000 <3 and even kal ho na ho , khakhe ,tum bin, hera pheri , veer zara , main hoon na , dil chahta hai , fanaa, hum tum , salam namaste , tarzen , aitebaar ,tere naam 
I loved the TV shows in 90s and even in early 2000s. Nowdays I cannot watch any soap opera channel whether in Hindi or Bangla for more than 5 minutes.

Movies are much better than before.

I think Hindi Pop has also fallen to pits in 2000s.
In 90's (even earlier), movies with content without a major star were never hit. They were called parallel movies, meant to display in national and international festival. They would also get some awards and finally used to reach people via Doordarshan. 
Movies like "Wednesday", "Queen" would not have been released in theatres and become hit. Multiplex era has changed it totally.
TV got ruined because of TRP system.