Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

niyaarshian thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
A complete different plot and its wonderful.
Rabiabegum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Where are you? It has about 2 months now without an update?:(!
luv_panipuri thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3
You inspire me to write. Even though I can never hope to write as good. I love how real this tale seems.  
Shamz94 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
OMG this was one of the best update I have read so glad arnav told them about khushi I wonder how khushi feels about arnav though can't wait to read more of it
Sansid thumbnail
Long time ...no update  i am hoping its soon and we probably get at  least 2-3 chapters
SharuAG thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hoping that you would give the next installment soon
jcby thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I loved the update. It was Marvelous as usual. I keep checking back to see if the next update is up at least 4 to 7 times a day i.e., until I go to sleep, thats how enthusiastic I'm.
I'm very happy about the development of the relationship among the friends after it being strained for sometime now. I'm very happy for Lavanya 4 hving found someone 4 herself. I didn't think Arnav would admit hving special feelings 4 Khushi. I was surprised when he admitted it. I wonder what does Khushi feel about it. I'm glad and happy how maturedly Aman is taking in this new revelation. He's a nice gentleman and a great friend.

Pls post update soon. Eagerly waiting for next update.

Thanks!
Edited by jcby - 7 years ago
diyaa1pk thumbnail
you are superb...i love reading your stories...such mature writting style..its always a treat to read ⭐️
RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8

Chapter 17: When sun rises at night

Several years ago

Khushi finds solace in television shows. Teddy has limited the number of channels she is allowed to watch quoting vulgarity and violence. She believes his words as always and lets it be. As he insists at every turn, he knows what is best for her. She was at a point where she looked at him for subtle change in his body language and took cues from that. Payal had recently returned from her post-grad program and Khushi was dying to meet her. As usual, Teddy had refused at first.

"I don't see a point," he had protested.

"She is my only living family Teddy. After my aunt died, I haven't spoken to anyone else. And Payal is my sister. My own sister." She had immediately averted her eyes after realizing her voice had risen.

"She comes here. For an hour." Teddy had left it at that.

The reunion between the sisters was one that filled with tears and emotional half-sentences. Payal had looked at her healthy-looking sister and for a moment believed that Khushi was happy. Even with Khushi's insistence of happiness sounded hollow. With Teddy hovering in the next room, she wondered if her sister's life had improved or if Teddy had finally managed to complete break her spirit.

"Take this," Payal whispers and thrusts a book in Khushi's hands. "Hide it somewhere and read it when Teddy isn't around. He shouldn't find it at any cost, okay?" Payal said in a voice filled with urgency.

"Payal, I can't. If Teddy finds this..." Khushi's eyes are blown wide and there is a curtain of fear in them.

"He shouldn't, okay?" Payal insisted. She had guessed earlier the extent of Teddy's control on Khushi's life but monitoring their conversation was taking things to a new level. Payal makes mental note to talk to some professionals to deal with this situation. But before that, she wants to see what Teddy is really made of. Khushi buries the book beneath sofa cushions where Teddy will never find.

Payal clears her throat and speaks in normal tone. "You and Teddy should come to my place this weekend. I will cook us something or we can order out. Just relaxing, you know?"

Her haunch pays off. Teddy waltzes in. "I don't think we can Payal. We have plans for this weekend."

"What plans?" Payal insists. Not used to being back talked, Teddy flounders for a moment.

"We have to attend a wedding." Payal is sure it's made up on spot.

"Then visit me before you go to the party or on your way back. Crash at my place if you want." Payal doesn't let it go. Teddy doesn't know how to respond but nods suddenly when Payal stares him down.

In that moment Payal understands entirety of Khushi's marriage and the man who has held her hostage close to a decade now.

------

"Am I misreading this Malavika?" Payal asks sipping coffee. Malavika, a police officer specializing in cases related to domestic abuse, shook her head.

"How long has this been going on?"

"I think it's been like this since beginning. Khushi was only eighteen when she married Teddy. She had no idea about life as it is and we had just lost our parents. My aunt insisted that Khushi get married and when Teddy came with promise of higher education to this brilliant girl, and life I couldn't provide. Teddy was supposed to be the person, the foundation for Khushi's future achievements in the field of mathematics. But he turned her into a zombie." There were tears in Payal's eyes. "I am too late."

Malavika sighs. "Khushi is in a position where the markers of domestic abuse don't present as physical evidence. Her situation is more complex and much difficult to prove. You can take a step when Khushi realizes that she is being emotionally manipulated."

"I think Khushi knows that there is something off, something that's off kilter for a long time. She doesn't fight back or even talk back but she has started to hesitate." Payal breathes out from her mouth, relaxing an inch. "And Teddy is a f**king coward."

Malavika sits up a little straight. "You don't say?"

Payal nods. "He isn't used to getting talked back. He works as an accountant where there isn't much hierarchy or workplace challenges; at least the place where works." At Malavika's raised eyebrow Payal lets out an embarrassed chuckle. "I hired a private investigator."

"Can I see that report?" Malavika asks.

"Of course. Maybe you can find some evidence that I am obviously missing. Teddy and Khushi will be coming to my place this weekend, that is tomorrow. It's a quick stop by but I kind of bullied him into it. Can you drop by? Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Don't introduce me as a police officer. Teddy might do something drastic from which we won't be able to recover from. But we don't want him to take you for granted so you can introduce me as a social worker who works with abused women."

"And the reason for your presence?"

"Potential roommate, girlfriend, best friend whatever that screams familiarity and justification of my presence in your life."

Payal flushes. "Let's say you are living with me for the time being since your house is getting renovated or something, okay?"

Malavika nods, vaguely amused by Payal's reaction.

------

For some odd reason that Payal can never understand, Malavika and Teddy hit it off. They liked similar kind of movies, cuisine and books. Teddy had gotten over his inhibition of finding a social worker among his midst and had complete ignored Khushi for the time they were with Payal. Outside, Teddy looked normal and caring husband getting along with his wife's family. For one moment, it all seemed okay.

Payal and Malavika settled with a cup of tea to go over the things that had taken place that evening.

"You seem to get along great with Teddy," Payal initiated. "Like really great."

Malavika chuckled. "I got him investigated to get a background of his personality and after that I was just playing off by his cues. If he liked a book then I would chime in and bring in a different writers name and make a connection between the two. Teddy hasn't had an intelligent conversation with another woman all his life Payal. He works in an all-male office and doesn't socialize very much. He loves control - maybe induced from a childhood trauma and believes that keeping Khushi in control is the only way he knows how to have a relationship."

"Can we get Khushi out of there?" Payal hits the jugular.

Malavika sighed. "Look Payal, Khushi is in a position where she is just realizing that her marriage has issues or Teddy's behavior isn't how a husband would behave. She has undergone immense amount of psychological and emotional trauma, manipulation and her self-worth is shot to cinders. She doesn't know how to exist without Teddy. Did you notice how she looked at Teddy every time you offered her something?"

Payal shakes her head. Malavika smiles patiently at her. "It requires training to look for body language, shift in expression and understanding dynamics without actually talking about it. In one evening, Teddy has given us much information than you could have imagined."

"So, there is a hope yet?" Payal asked meekly. She suddenly feels drained and guilt that was playing in the back of her mind, flares with Malavika's response.

"You have given the book to Khushi, yes? Khushi is already in the stage of questioning Teddy's motives. Let's see if she takes it forward."

"Is there anything else I can do?"

Malavika thinks for a minute. "Visit them again and take Khushi shopping. I will be there with you so Teddy will lose control and accept our invitation."

"Do you think it will work?"

Malavika takes a sip of tea. "Let's see how that goes."

------

The break the two women are waiting for comes four months later. Malavika had advised Payal to be patient and insisted that Khushi had to realize on her own. During those four months Payal had been antsy, jittery and constantly worried thinking she had pushed when she should have been more patient. But when she finds Khushi stands on the other side of the threshold wearing her night clothes and without footwear.   

"Can you please pay the taxi guy?"

Payal recovers from her shock and runs to get her purse. Khushi stands in the middle of Payal's living room looking lost and tired.

"Malavika is on her way. Let me get you something hot to drink." Payal ushers Khushi inside and bundles her in warm clothes.

"What happened?" Payal asks twenty minutes later after Khushi has warmed up with two cups of hot chocolate and nestled herself in a soft blanket. Malavika sits on Khushi's other side, her phone recording the conversation as evidence.

"I sometimes wake up naked." Khushi begins. Payal suppresses the rage that bubbles inside of her and promptly shuts her mouth with one warning look by Malavika.

"Please continue Khushi," Malavika softly urges.

"I wake up naked and I know that I didn't go to bed that way. It first happened about eight years ago. It started out like once in three or four months. Over the years it became more and more frequent. Now it's close to twice a week. I woke up feeling dirty and used, you know? I asked Teddy about it last month and he didn't talk to me for a week. It felt insanely uncomfortable but at the same time, liberating. I thought I would be lost without him and I was lost. But to be able to do what I wanted to do was...something else." Her voice takes a softer edge. "I had forgotten how it felt."

"And now?"

Khushi looks lost at the question. "I don't know."

Malavika smiles at that. "Then we will figure it out. And once you get a good night sleep and some food in you, you can tell us what made you come here today, okay?"

Note: I will update when I can. I have insane work schedule and that's always a priority. Thanks for sticking by.

meera30 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
When half mad has an update :)

Edited: 

I keep thinking about what to say. But the reality is what can you say when you read something like this.

The hours, days, months, years of abuse without knowledge of its existence, without hope of ending, without support from those who care - are a struggle to even imagine, let alone understand or bear. Abuse - physical, emotional - mostly often need external support to fight - sometimes moral, often real assistance in getting help, justice, protection. You want to only hope that the real Khushis find real Payals and Malvikas to counter the Teddys of the world.

Edited by meera30 - 7 years ago