India-Forums

Siya Ke Ram
Siya Ke Ram

Experience is the best teacher at times -Sita

shruthiravi IF-Sizzlerz
shruthiravi
shruthiravi

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 10:46pm | IP Logged
If Tuesday dealt with knowledge, yesterday it was about experience. Irrespective of having the intuition something wrong about the place, Sita decides to wait than create an argument with her devar. I loved the fact that a certain level of maturity has come in her.
Sometimes we can argue over theories. This theory is right. That theory is right. Our POV( point of view) is right etc. But unless a POV is backed with experience that POV doesn't hold water.

That is one of the reason I put experiences along with my POVs so that the readers can understand from where my POV is coming from. So that there is a level of trust in the people reading my posts that I am not giving any advice, suggestion or a learning that can have a negative impact on their life.

Because for any POV to succeed trust is important, working of that POV needs to be experienced. Why do students fear or struggle with maths or for that matter science. They are unable to experience it. They are asked to memorize some theories, some formulaes and then write some exams. No thought on how this theories, formulaes add up in real life.

I really remember I had struggled with simple interest, compound interest in my high school when my dad opened a student account for me in the bank. He asked me to go to bank, deposit the money, ensure pass book entries are made correct, and ask me to see how my money grows by understanding the pass book.

When I did the procedure, understood how pass book entries are made, the concept of simple interest, compound interest became easier.

For Algebra he send me vegetable vendor and grocery store with fixed money and asked me to buy certain things. I learned algebra happily shopping. x and y were my vegetables and when they add up it has to be the sum in my hand.

Probability and Statistics I learned watching cricket matches, predicting India's chances of victory with a particular score based on past analysis.
I never feared Maths, but struggled with physics as nobody could help me connect physics with real life situations. But later it was MB that helped me connect physics with real life.  

And certain things I learned from mistakes. Mistakes I call them the beautiful experience. Most relations I learned to manage committing "n" number of mistakes. Still I make as life is a learning process itself with so much rich experiences.

Edited by shruthiravi - 29 April 2016 at 2:44am

The following 16 member(s) liked the above post:

suppss77avalonhigh1234FAMSHaridasAnkita.11Rex_RyanRJaish30vipraja26attubabygmgiayushimehraShivam...xPalkixCutiepieADKrishnaPriyaaKrishna_Sourav

FAMS Senior Member
FAMS
FAMS

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 11:00pm | IP Logged
Shruthi excellent post as always, since yesterday I was stuck on this point of Sita and now you have cleared my doubt. . .

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Rex_Ryanvipraja26attubabygmgishruthiravi

Glittersnow Goldie
Glittersnow
Glittersnow

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 11:08pm | IP Logged
true...like we have a saying in malayalam ,,,, anubhavam guru,,,, our worst experiences puts the  strong foundation of our strength and resolve  to deal with it in our future life...ofcourse life is a wonderful package..with ups and downs ...learning more and more...

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

FAMSavalonhigh1234Ankita.11Rex_RyanRJaish30vipraja26gmgishruthiravi

avalonhigh1234 Senior Member
avalonhigh1234
avalonhigh1234

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 11:10pm | IP Logged
I too loved the dialogue Shruthi. I don't give solutions to my children ...I discuss their options and which one would be to their advantage. But  I have realized that in trying to teach them I myself have learnt a lot from these situations. They have expanded my vision and perspective of life.Action is the necessity of life,but experience enriches it,does it not?
Savita

FAMSAnkita.11Rex_Ryanvipraja26gmgi

shruthiravi IF-Sizzlerz
shruthiravi
shruthiravi

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 11:12pm | IP Logged
@Fouzia sometimes you need to give proof, else it will only be arguments
@adiya people who have survived the negative situations will know how to deal with it in a better fashion.
@savitha with kids we can only give our POV and you are right when we hear their POV some times it is eye opening for us.

FAMSRex_Ryanavalonhigh1234vipraja26gmgi

Ankita.11 Senior Member
Ankita.11
Ankita.11

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 11:53pm | IP Logged
Shruti di,this is the reason why we all love your posts!!
It is your experiences added to your pov's that make the post's so lovely...I try to read your posts daily so that when I am in a similar situation,I make the best decision
Unlike you,I am able to relate physics more than maths with the real world...tbh I still fear maths.just a few hours ago,I was practicing probability and even after giving my 12th boards i'm still struggling with it...wish I had studied complex interest the way you had...ad algebra,till class 10,that was something total abstract  for me,i would not understand it's application,hence would not understand and then not practice and then receive gorgeous marks...but in class 11,it became more appllication based and automatically my marks increased.
Sorry did not want to bore you with this but since u were discussing so I told my dil ki baat..and if u have any more suggestions regarding maths plz let me know

Rex_RyanFAMSvipraja26gmgishruthiravi

shruthiravi IF-Sizzlerz
shruthiravi
shruthiravi

Posted: 21 April 2016 at 2:40am | IP Logged
@Ankita if you have interest try to see whether you have any classes on Vedic maths or abacus nearby. I have gone for Vedic maths classes. It is very interesting and application based maths. Abacus I have not gone, but my cousin has gone for it for the past 3-4 years for every summer vacations and according to her it has really helped her with the maths.
And I will suggest both these classes to young kids so that they don't fear maths.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Rex_Ryanvipraja26gmgi

gmgi IF-Rockerz
gmgi
gmgi

Posted: 21 April 2016 at 7:11am | IP Logged
Shruthi your posts are so relatable because you put in yr experiences. When we were staying in the hostel during my school days we all had a hard time finishing food. We were always asked to finish our food n to be thankful for what we had. It was a herculean task for most and we used try to cheat. This continued until we were taken to an orphanage a sister concern of the institute to have first hand experience. What to say I am still thankful for that experience.

Edited by gmgi - 21 April 2016 at 7:13am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Rex_Ryanvipraja26shruthiravi

Go to top