•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 19 years ago

"I can't stand my Kesar co-star…"

He's the hottest kid on the block. Ejaz Khan has captured the minds and imagination of several fans across the sub-continent, but somehow the plum roles seem to be evading the good looking actor. Prashant Golecha finds out why

Why did you leave 'Kahiin To Hoga', although your character Varun was being appreciated?
My leaving Kahiin To Hoga was a management decision at Balaji Telefilms. I had Kesar and Koi Dil Mein Hai to shoot for, which were suffering due to my time constraints. There were rumours floating that I left because I wasn't paid enough, but that was not true. I knew I would be exiting KTH. In fact, for one and a half months, we were unable to find a suitable replacement till Chaitanya came into the picture.

Why do you keep getting the second or third leads in Balaji shows? Did Ekta promise you a bigger role?
Ekta didn't promise me any bigger roles. I am doing the lead in Koi Dil Mein Hai. In Kesar too, I have a prominent role although my character, Abhinav Pandey has died right now - he is going to make a comeback. From the 16th episode in Kesar the story had to become a love triangle, which didn't happen. In case of Kahiin To Hoga my character was to evolve after Piyush's death. But some time after Piyush's death, I was replaced. I am happy doing what I am doing.

Why did you take up "Kkusum" that's already cluttered with so many actors?
My character Sohan has been introduced to fight for Kkusum. I agreed to do it because Kkusum is still the number one show for Sony in terms of viewership. Moreover it is a short-term character and I had time on my hands, as Koi Dil Mein Hai is a half hour weekly show now instead of an hour long weekly.

How difficult is it to avoid getting attracted to beautiful co-stars?
It is pretty difficult but one needs to maintain a certain level of professionalism. I don't believe in mixing my love and professional lives.

Why did you opt for television instead of approaching producers for films?
Frankly, I turned down many item number offers, as I didn't want to get slotted. Moreover, I had met with an accident and broken my shoulder I had some decent film offers but they were taking time. So when Balaji approached me for Kulvadhu (later renamed as Koi Dil Mein Hai) for a lead role, I decided to take the offer. But the show took time. Meanwhile I was offered the role of Varun. I took it.

Do you still want to do films?
Yes. Let me market myself well. At Balaji, I have sort of graduated in acting. In any case, television is bigger than films. In films, you can get written off with one flop, but that's not so with television shows. I want to do films but later. Right now I am happy doing television and improving my performances. I am a chilled out person. I want to exhaust myself first on television.

Do you have a girlfriend?
I had a girlfriend for four years. We have broken off now.

We keep hearing that 'Koi Dil Mein hai' is going off air soon. What's the truth?
Koi Dil Mein Hai was supposed to go off air, due to low TRPs, as Star Plus was airing movies at the same time. Right now, the serial has got an extension of around 2-3 months, as the ratings are better than before.

Is it true that Nandini Singh, who plays the title role of 'Kesar' has a major attitude problem on the sets?
Yes, it's totally true. I hate her. I haven't spoken to her for the last six months. We don't even rehearse the scenes with her. She just sits in her make up van with her mom. I don't know why, but everyone somehow goes on tolerating her.

How do you react to your female fan following?
Uncannily, I am still called Varun. Fans write letters to me and there are even people coming to my house to meet me. It feels good. When I was in hospital for five days after my hand injury, many fans visited me. That really touched me.

What are your passions?
My current passion is sleeping! Otherwise, I like to take off for vacations to places like Goa.

Edited by maryam - 19 years ago