DB_reloaded
DB_reloaded

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 7:49am | IP Logged
obviously it has dented irrespective of film choices

flipfl0p IF-Dazzler
flipfl0p
flipfl0p

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:01am | IP Logged
To say honestly, I could not warm up to the movie. But I would not say disappointed, as I had no expectations from it (rather did not know, what to expect from it).  In Dilwale, I did not see Sharukh making any attempt to come out of his comfort zone. But I cannot say, Sharukh let me down this time. I can see his earnest attempt to please his fans as well as critics. I sincerely want to thank him for attempting. Success or failure is part of a game. But he experimented. That's important to me.
Now the reasons why I could not warm up to the movie.

1)Gaurav's looks : Let me be honest, however good actor Nawazuddin Siddique may be, we know he is not a star material, say like Siddhart Malhotra. We do care about looks. I am aware, actually there is Sharukh inside this Gaurav. But still, he does not look like my Sharukh. His protruding teeth distracts me. It was almost like a new actor who is very good, but not Sharukh, playing that role. It was not easy to associate with Aryan Khanna (though Gaurav was a commoner). Makers could have given a different hairstyle for Gaurav (may be the old one Sharukh sported), but did not have to distort his face.

2)Gaurav was not just a fan, he was an obsessed fan : This again did not help me in bonding over with him. We all, despite being fans, have a normal life. At the end, when he said "Fan hoon. Tu nahi samjhega". I felt like telling him, "Not just Aryan Khanna (superstar), even I (a fan) cannot understand you". 

3)Theme was lame : In Baazigar or Durr, there was a reason for Sharukh's role to get into destructive act. In Baazigar, heroines's father had snatched everything from Sharukh's family. Here, the way Gaurav acted with Aryan Khanna's rival actor, afterwards Aryan Khanna's reaction to Gaurav seemed natural. It was difficult to side with Gaurav.

Whole film stand on how much we empathise with Gaurav. The looks of the character, director's understanding of the character and narration of his side of the story..., all had flaws, exccept one thing. Sharukh's portrayal of that character. 
As usual, film's success rests on Sharukh's shoulders (and his superstardom) to lift it. Not on its own merits. 

Another thing I noticed in Fan and Dilwale promotions. People actually liked and associated more with the character with was not present during promotions at all. Dilwale trailer had young Sharukh and Gerua songs. But people liked old Sharukh with beard. In fan, I associated more with Aryan Khanna. Wish they had cut better trailers. 

Fan may or may not bring expected profit. But I hope, this is the beginning of an experiment. Not the end. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

pakeezah IF-Rockerz
pakeezah
pakeezah

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:01am | IP Logged
How can  a film without a heroine which brings in 19 crore on day one mean loss of star power????
There was hardly any promos too. One song Jabra on tv. thats it.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Madame_89ActomyoRainbowPearlspieryroseRabbitOnSkates_.FemmeFatale.-Anku-pallavi25

angrybread IF-Sizzlerz
angrybread
angrybread

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:10am | IP Logged
If making a film like FAN is loosing star -power then i am fine with it .Atleast he takes risks now and then without worrying about loosing it .

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

_SJ_Madame_89RainbowPearlsHousefullpieryroseRabbitOnSkates_.FemmeFatale.-Anku-pallavi25TheRager-DZ-

-iLoveZaynMalik IF-Sizzlerz
-iLoveZaynMalik
-iLoveZaynMalik

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:16am | IP Logged
I thought it is doing well?!!
10 crore+ everyday for that genre is praiseworthy! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

pieryrose

TheRager IF-Addictz
TheRager
TheRager

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mali89

Originally posted by .Hajmola.

Its doing well enough for the genre of film it is. The main issue is the cost of 105cr due to the VFX and they probably cant recover it from theatericals alone. 

Can't they? Coupled with the overseas business, won't it recover the costs of production at least?

I am sure it will. 

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

_SJ_Madame_89RainbowPearlsHousefullangrybread.FemmeFatale.-DZ-

zaroonkashaf IF-Rockerz
zaroonkashaf
zaroonkashaf

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:22am | IP Logged
Some will never be satisfied is what I think. He's one of the most brave actors out there. People have this habit of cribbing when he does masala movies and they crib when he does something as amazing as FAN. Not that I'm referring to anyone here. It's just a general comment. Dilwale despite all that went down during its release , turned out to be the second highest grossing movie of last year. It beat both BM and Star Wars in some territories . If this is losing star power then I guess most stars need to lose star power LOL. HNY had the highest first day opening if I remember correctly. CE broke 3 Idiot's BO record. At the time people were complaining about where is the actor Shahrukh gone! As if the actor Shahrukh is not entitled to do movies like CE or HNY or Dilwale. Now that he has done a FAN , people are talking about where is the BO! Bravo! It takes a whole lot of guts and immense talent to even do something like a FAN. He's effing brilliant in the movie , has got praise for it from every corner. People are calling it one of his best performances since Chak De. Of course one would love to see FAN doing great business at the BO too but one has to understand it ain't your regular commercial cinema , it doesn't have the trappings of it. It's a niche film. It's a movie that has finally  satisfied those who had written him off as an actor. So I guess my answer to your question is that this is one that has been brought up a lot of times in the past. Anyone who has been a fan long enough would know as to how many times his career has been written off and he keeps bouncing back and I hope that continues. Whether it be then with a stellar performance in FAN or one of his movies breaking all BO records. 

Edited by srkjuhi - 17 April 2016 at 8:34am

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

TMKOC_FANMadame_89_SJ_HousefullRainbowPearlsangrybreadRabbitOnSkates_pallavi25-DZ-

Too_Much IF-Rockerz
Too_Much
Too_Much

-

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:26am | IP Logged
His recent film choices made Non-Fans to skip his movie. there was a time, fan or no fan, people use to go and see his movie..

Now people are just waiting and based on WOM they are thinking to go or skip..

It is not so easy for him to catch the train to be the top now.. Salman is having some great films in hand..

Go to top