Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

~~~FAN Reviews & BoxOffice Update 3~~~ DTNote:P94 (Page 97)

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 12:57am | IP Logged

• Fan' was never meant for heartland audience: Shah Rukh Khan on taking chances
Wed, 20 Apr 2016-12:03pm , Mumbai , PTI

Shah Rukh Khan talks about 'Fan' and the numbers it has made at the box office

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, whose latest release Fan has been garnering a positive response, says he took a chance with this film as he wanted to present before the audience something which they had never seen before.

"It's (Fan) not a film that heartland audience will like it. But we took a chance thinking hopefully they (audience) will like it, but they need song and dance. I am not unrealistic," Shah Rukh told PTI.

The actor, 50, in his over 20 year-long career has given several blockbusters like Dilwale Dulhaniya Le JayengeKuch Kuch Hota Hai,Chennai ExpressHappy News Year, among others.

But some of his films like SwadesChak De! India did not do good business at the box-office as compared to his other commercial films.

"My last film (Dilwale) had cars flying, there is dance and all so more heartland audience sees it and non-heartland don't see it. The idea is to make a film that everyone would see it," the actor said.

The Happy New Year star appreciates filmmakers who come up with novel ideas.

"While (we) were making Swades, I had told Ashutosh Gowariker (film director) that hope you know this film will not make much business as the other (commercial) films do. But he had the guts to make a film like Swadeswith a star like me," he said.

"I think this is what we should celebrate. When a new kind of filmmaker comes, and makes something different with new people as he doesn't have access to others (stars), I really appreciate that. I think it is more appreciated when an established director, producer, star does something unusual like Fan," he added.

The My Name Is Khan star says he chooses to do different stuff on screen as it excites him.

"As a person, it keeps me going as I feel I have done something different. It also enhances your way of making cinema. Then after six months you can make a commercial film. Will Smith does that, he makes a film for numbers as well one those which don't make that much numbers. I feel most actors should try and make that," the actor said.

According to Shah Rukh, there are two types of audience - one that enjoys offbeat films while there are others who like commercial films.

"There is thinking and talking audience that sees world cinema and assumes our cinema should reach there soon. Then there is an audience in the heartland of the country which believes still in values and thoughts and entertainment in a certain way," the Veer Zaara star said.

He knew heartland audience wouldn't like the film much as it's not a typical SRK film. "Language is a barrier, not everyone watches English, Spanish film. So, when you make a film like this, you know the film is not going to be universal, the heartland people are not going to understand. I don't think anyone is a hypocrite in this," he added.

The Om Shanti Om actor isn't disheartened by the fact that the unusual films do not do that much business as the commercial films do despite being appreciated.

"Filmmakers are clear about the target audience. You just have to believe that this film is meant for these people and release it. Beyond that if these (unusual) films do more numbers than you thought of its really good," he said.

"When I make Dilwale, the attempt is of getting a much bigger number. Like Chak De (Chak De!India) was a beautiful film but it did not have the numbers that Chennai Express had, but it can't dishearten you," Shah Rukh said.

Also Read: 'Two-Two Papas': AbRam's reaction to Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan' is the best ever!

The actor says he is saddened when both unusual and commercial films don't make more money.

"It is disappointing if the film doesn't collect that numbers. The feeling of loss is similar but from two different point of views."

Released on April 15, Maneesh Sharma directed Fan has reportedly earned Rs 53 crore in the country.

Fan narrates the tale of Gaurav, a huge fan of movie star Aryan Khanna, who heads to Mumbai in order to wish his idol on his birthday. When things don't go according to plan, Gaurav's obsession with Aryan crosses the line.

"When you make a film about fans, we have shown that there could be someone like this (Gaurav). The film is kind of fantasy. When you sit down and think of a film like this it's quite a fancy film like how a look alike reaches his home and uses his look... so it's all fantastic idea that ways. I don't think there are people are like this and even if there was someone like Gaurav, he wouldn't even know the film is about him as he is bit off. So, he would be alright. I don't think there was any chance if the film would have got misfired with the audience. It's a nice intriguing story," he added.

Shah Rukh said the audience liked Gaurav more than the character of superstar Aryan Khanna in Fan as the role was very fresh and different.

"We have been completely divergent from a star (referring to himself) who is known to have songs and dance in his films. People like different stuff. But if we keep making it, again and again, may be they won't like it. I think people liked 'Gaurav' more as that was different," SRK said.

Also Read: Watch | Jabra Fan Parody: This is what an 'honest' Shah Rukh Khan fan feels like!

He said some fans have reached out to him after watching the film and complained about certain aspects of the thriller.

"Some of the fans said there should have been songs in the film, there should have been an apology once, why is Aryan Khanna so mean, you are not like that in real life, why Gaurav had this kind of end, Gaurav was not wrong. There are some complaints (referring to 'Fan'), there are some flaws that people are saying there will be critical acclaim. But overall it's a different storytelling," he said.

According to SRK if a film starts discussion then it means it is interesting.

"When you discuss a film later, it means it has left an impact on you. Some people said the second half is not good. But this is how we felt the story (ofFan) should have been and narrated it that way," he added.

Edited by pallavi25 - 20 April 2016 at 12:57am

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

humanspiritqazplmAnam....Screwtape.angrybreadBeautyful_MessAS-Rifi-DZ-

rimi2983 IF-Dazzler
rimi2983
rimi2983

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 1:27am | IP Logged
Good bye and good luck @ YamYam HugThumbs Up. Sorry your farewell thread is closed, so have to write here !! We'll miss you...

And just for you, Fan is SRK's best work till date. Congrats and Well done Hug

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

humanspiritangrybreadAamnakideewanianitaraniBeautyful_MessBriyanikidaig-DZ-

Aamnakideewani IF-Sizzlerz
Aamnakideewani
Aamnakideewani

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 1:52am | IP Logged
Yah we wil miss you yam yam try to come during Raees

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

humanspirit-DZ-

ZorZorSe IF-Rockerz
ZorZorSe
ZorZorSe

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 2:59am | IP Logged
  1. 1:55 AM - 20 Apr 2016 · Details
    " style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">

addatoday.com Retweeted ramanking1986

Coz of Free Fall mode in B & C Centers. Reports of that comes late. FAN is Crashing there Everyday. Sad bt True. ->

humanspirit Goldie
humanspirit
humanspirit

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 3:07am | IP Logged
Guys, FAN flops speaks tonnes about the inefficiency of indian BO. It doesnt reflect on the quality of the film itself.  Its a reflection of the crap that people in india are used to seeing in theatres. We should all be proud of our superstar who has made the most honest attempt possible to take a step in the right direction. I hope more people follow suit and down the line srk is known as the person who brought the trend of such beautiful films.

Edited by humanspirit - 20 April 2016 at 7:25am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Sri-R

RamSiyaRam IF-Rockerz
RamSiyaRam
RamSiyaRam

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 3:20am | IP Logged
Finally watched FAN. The acting of SRK is brilliantStarStarStar. He excels in both the roles. It takes guts and lot of self confidence to deprecate his own self in some ways. As Aryan he does that. The way he plays with his ego and does not relent at all. There is no grudge or regret. Some incidence seem to have inspired from his real life. The movie is well made and directed. SRK allowed reference or semblance to his real life- wife, kids, MIL house, mocking at self in Madame Tussaud's scene, dancing at weddings is amazing. This needs lot of guts to do.

On Acting, special mention to the scene in the super sitara competition where Aryan goes but on stage he impersonates Gaurav. That was simply outstanding performance. 

As Gaurav he was damn good esp when goes to meet SRK - the selfies he takes and the scene in jail where he meets him. The streaks of craziness or obsession are visible from the without ticket scene in train till he gets beaten up in jail. 

What I found difficult was why Aryan sent Gaurav to jail, that did not make sense to me. The writer should have thought some stronger reason for the Gaurav being sent to jail part.

The chase in foreign locales was needed since the same could not have been done in India, here he is SUPER STAR so the police will protect and help him. The plot would not hold value.

The woman who played his assistant Sumona or something was good in her job. Even Neha character was good. The actors playing Gaurav parents were good too. They got good space but I liked the father more as he understood his son more than mother perhaps.

The chase between SRK and Gaurav should have been cut short or they should not have shown him jumping down the high wall into the sea.

The typical SRK style was there his patent- roof tops, blood on face, lying on stomach and wriggling up a bitLOLLOL. That is true blue SRK.

Gaurav anger is justified but why Aryan behaves the way he does, was not clear. 

Hats off to SRK to have had the courage to do such a role and do it with brilliance. The let down was NO Jabra songOuch This song was popular and at least they should have shown it in end credits. That was a dampner. People waited for it to comeOuch

After watching the movie I am even more convinced that YRF should have promoted it more. Only if people watch it once can we think of repeat. But yes its not the typical SRK romance movie. Yes its different and thats good. The message is fine, admiration should stop when it interferes with your real being.

FAN deserved better response from public. But SRK acting is the shining starStar of FAN and that is block busterClap

Edited by RamSiyaRam - 20 April 2016 at 3:27am

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

Aamnakideewanianitarani.Screwtape.angrybreadBeautyful_MessNestleToulouseAS-Rifipallavi25-DZ-

-DZ- IF-Achieverz
-DZ-
-DZ-

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged
KAPIL @KapilSharmaK9 4h4 hours ago

@iamsrk sorry to say bhai but gaurav was eating u in every scene ;)Hats off to his talent n hard work.. #respect :)

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

pallavi25NestleToulouse

-DZ- IF-Achieverz
-DZ-
-DZ-

Posted: 20 April 2016 at 5:57am | IP Logged
SRK Universe @SRKUniverse 4h4 hours ago

Madhuri Dixit on Fan and SRK's @iamsrk performance

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

humanspiritpallavi25NestleToulouse

Go to top