~~~FAN Reviews & BoxOffice Update 3~~~ DTNote:P94 - Page 31

Posted: 7 years ago
http://boxofficeindia.com/art_detail.php?articalid=1962#.VxRs43rPVsk

Fan Does Very Well In Overseas

Monday 18 April 2016 10.30 IST
Box Office India Trade Network

Fan has scored very well in Overseas with collections set to be around $6.50 million range. The collections from United Kingdom, US / Canada, Gulf, Australia and Pakistan are over $5.25 million between them. The apprx figures from main circuits are as follows.

United Kingdom - 425,000

US / Canada - $1,400,000 

Gulf - $2,500,000

Australia - A$225,000

Pakistan - $650,000

The film has done fantastic in Gulf with collections among the top five openers (could be top three depending where Sunday lands). The overseas figure may not be challenging the records but to go over $6 million for this type of film is a strong performance. It is the eighth highest opening ever in Overseas.

There have been twelve films to open above $5 million which the mark for a very good opening in Overseas and seven are Shahrukh Khan starrers. The seven being My Name Is Khan, Ra.One, Don 2, Chennai Express, Happy New Year, Dilwale and now Fan.

Originally posted by blue-ice

Hitesh @HitsWits  

This review of #FAN in a Marathi daily is too good. They hardly praise any movie to this extent. SRK

That pic..omg it was best scene and even at the end..
😳
BTw u guys had an such gr8 disucssion..love reading
If this were a WhatsApp group, phone battery would be dead in a few hours. 😆
Yayyy everybody liking srk acting..🥳
chalo theek hai kucho movie acchi lage ya naaa.but srk did it..im happy for that
😆
Edited by briahna - 7 years ago

User Actions
 Following
Indicine.com@indicine

FAN collects close to $7 million in its first weekend overseas, will become 2016's highest overseas grosser in just 4 days.

Originally posted by Maroon5.0

http://boxofficeindia.com/art_detail.php?articalid=1962#.VxRs43rPVsk

Monday 18 April 2016 10.30 IST

Box Office India Trade Network

Fan has scored very well in Overseas with collections set to be
around $6.50million range. The collections fromUnited Kingdom, US /
Canada, Gulf,Australia and Pakistan are over$5.25 million between
them. The apprxfigures from main circuits are as follows.

United Kingdom - 425,000

US / Canada - $1,400,000

Gulf - $2,500,000

Australia - A$225,000

Pakistan - $650,000

The film has done fantastic in Gulf with collections among the top
five openers (could be top three depending where Sunday lands). The
overseas figure may not be challenging the records but to go over $6
million for this type of film is a strong performance. It is the eighth
highest opening ever in Overseas.

There have been twelve films to open above $5 million which the mark
for a very good opening in Overseas and sevenare Shahrukh Khan
starrers. The seven being My Name Is Khan, Ra.One, Don 2, Chennai
Express, Happy New Year, Dilwale and now Fan.

yayyy

SRK RULES OVERSEAS!!!!!!
****SPOILERS ALERT*****

Wow. This movie is an experience in itself...quite unlike what I had in mind when I saw the trailers. It's a lot darker and creepier -- not because of the things Gaurav does in his obsession, but because of the meta and what it forces you to see/accept. What it goes to say about the star and fan psyche is a rather brave and even necessary message given the kind of world we live in today. I will be shocked if the majority of the audience actually truly gets this movie or can appreciate it beyond the simplistic notion that this is Darr Reloaded (it's NOT)...because this is a truly completely offbeat movie and I don't think the line between commercial and offbeat cinema has blurred to THIS extent that this would be unanimously accepted. But that is fine, for the SRK I have loved was always the bravest commercial actor-star around and it seems with this movie he wanted everyone who has forgotten that detail (especially yours truly and perhaps even himself) to be reminded of that fact. For that, thank you SRK! 

When Raja Sen said no one else could have done this role but SRK, I thought he meant acting wise. But it is so much more that that and SRK really is in phenomenal form here in probably his most nuanced role(s) yet. For not only is there is no other star who would even have the guts to take on such a role where he has to risk his stardom in more ways than one, but there is also no other star with his inspiring legacy either.

I loved the first half, but I love the second half even more as that is where the actual genius of the story comes through. The first half is the breezy easily likable half IMHO...kind of like Gaurav...we've all been and are fans after all. How can you not find him endearing when he cuts the cake at midnight or his reaction after talking to Aryan on the phone or the Super Sitara contest as he dances to Aryan's songs with fake abs? Or just the sheer excitement as he reaches Mumbai and then Mannat with his halwa and trophy...talking pictures with the security guards..and then when he sees Aryan come out. ❤️ 

The second half is tougher to execute. The faults are thus more in the second half too as Maneesh tries to infuse BW-style thrill to make this film a little commercial. 😆 The Dubrovnik chase sequence needed to be cut out completely...there is absolutely no point to it -- the last chase does the same job (and even that should have been shorter). Where are the bodyguards?  But these glitches are small..overall the film works. But Aryan as the egoistic, insecure, ageing...and 'sanki' as he calls himself superstar is pure love. ❤️ 

The first confrontation in the jail cell..the scene the whole film is built upon. Aryan is initially sympathetic though he believes Gaurav needs to be punished for what he did but his discomfort grows as he sees the physical similarity between them and then listens to what Gaurav is saying. The way Gaurav switches from revering Aryan to his heartbreak as Aryan tells him he's not a fan and kyun de woh usse 5 mins of his life? ufff...and how beautifully is Gaurav's repetition of Aryan's platitude about how he is who is because of his fans juxtaposed in the press conference when Aryan truly realizes the full weight of his words?...the META here...as stars really should be more careful in choosing their words simply because it's the 'right' thing to say. 

Speaking of the press conference..the scene where Aryan blasts the journalist for irresponsibly making a joke about a woman getting molested. It speaks to the lack of conscience people have today...frankly it reminded of the disgusting circus post the Pratyusha Banerjee suicide. 

Gaurav's reaction when Aryan emulates Gaurav at the contest...and humiliates him in front of the colony, Neha...his parents...how amazing is this scene? Just the WRITING here...this is what Gaurav wanted na? Star fan ke peeche bhaage? Bhag gaya...star fan hi ban gaya...but the mirror is truly a bitter pill to swallow ...for Gaurav is simply shattered as Aryan does the same to him as what he did to Aryan...similarly, Gaurav is perfectly all right sneaking into Aryan's HOME...threatening his kids but Aryan landing up at his house where his parents are boils his blood. 

Yet even though Gaurav is morally wrong, you desperately hope he gets the error of his ways...listens to Aryan and makes something of his life..for there is no point in living in someone else's shadow. But Gaurav is sadly too far gone to come back...his obsession with Aryan was his only motivation in life, so much so that even in death all he wanted was to  tie his name forever with Aryan. 

It's not a simple hero vs villain story...both Aryan and Gaurav are right and wrong. Aryan could have ended it all by simply saying sorry as Gaurav only wanted validation from him...but his ego is too much for that..and Gaurav is far too obsessed and sanki to see that there is so much more to life. 

It is obvious why SRK thinks Aryan is so much harder to play...because Aryan is so close to SRK in ways and some situations bear real life resemblance too and yet to maintain that fine balance between the two. It takes a very intelligent and self-aware actor to do that...narcissistic yes...because well, at the end of the day, a star's biggest fan has to be himself..otherwise as SRK said so many years ago...how is he to convince anyone else to be a fan? So SRK plays his biggest fan with elan and a far more internalized version of himself..

How lovely is the last scene btw? As Aryan waves to the crowd and sees Gaurav in the midst? How must it feel to see so much love after seeing the downside of that love, knowing you alone inspire this? The ending with Gaurav's selfies is gold too. And the scene where Aryan faces his [a star's] biggest fear...an empty auditorium? ❤️ 

The message of this movie is lovely: 
Fan se zyada aur kuch bano...be a fan of your idol's journey, be inspired by that...not of their glamorous lifestyle. If you want to emulate something, emulate their hard work and determination...not the superficial gimmicks like their dialogues, etc. 

It is only after watching this do I truly understand why AdiC told Maneesh that this couldn't be his first movie, for this movie needs an experienced director. Maneesh is the bravest director to have come out of the YRF stable tbh..and he thought of this film over 10 years ago! Now if he can reign in his indulgences, he can be amazing.  

Ok this is way too long and I've seriously rambled here. 😆
Edited by turqoisedress - 7 years ago
I will keep it really short...
Fan is a good film heralded by a GREAT performance...
  • SRK(as Gaurav) was Oscar Worthy...Watch out for a scene in prison when he mocks Aryan K for his fake bullshit about how he values his fans...That's SRK aping SRK while NOT being SRK...Take That!
  • He brings so much vulnerability to his part of Gaurav that you don't realise that Gaurav is basically a freak & does some detestable things..That in my view is the reason SRK shines in negative roles
  • With Gaurav ,he has basically gone for broke...Watch out for the scene where he trashes Aryan's liabrary...You feel...Oh! man this guy is screwed! & also Gosh! Such a freak!...Take a bow SRK!
But I was basically expecting all that..I was expecting SRK to nail the part...He ALWAYS aces risque' characters...
But what I wasn't expecting was the searing disdain,arrogance, sheer irreverence, narcissism  & brutal honesty he brought to the part of Aryan who is the closest SRK has come to portraying himself & the farthest from the image that SRK has...It is a performance that may not be as meaty as Gaurav's 
but almost as risque' and skillful...

Take a bow SRK...
Don't waste your talent on mediocre filmmakers & inane scripts