India-Forums

Siya Ke Ram
Siya Ke Ram

Spirituality

sumedha93 Senior Member
sumedha93
sumedha93

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 9:55am | IP Logged
This post has nothing much to do with Ramayan yet I thought this forum is the right place to discuss this. 

I'm reading biography of Steve Jobs who was well known among this colleagues for his eccentric personality. Jobs was considered to be spiritually enlightened individual, many who worked with him arguably agreed that he was on a different plane altogether. Jobs was influenced most by Zen Buddhism, he came to India in search of a guru and lived here for few months. He slept on mat (even after becoming the billionaire), use to walk barefoot, was a strict vegetarian, lived in a much smaller house than he could actually afford. His spirituality and level of focus was evident in his working style, no doubt he brought a revolution in computer industry. Yet he could be cruel to people around him, could turn aloof to them and was emotionally unstable.  

I want to know can someone who is spiritually enlightened be cruel or cold ? Shouldn't such a person be kind and compassionate which Steve wasn't at all ? Shouldn't someone who is spiritual be emotionally very stable ? Don't we believe that emotional stability is the basic ingredient to be spiritually enlightened ? By what I have read so far Jobs was either extremely passionate about something/someone or absolutely cold, there was no in between. Is this an attribute of Spirituality ?

Edited by sumedha93 - 16 April 2016 at 9:58am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Ankita.11sshirleyJustlikethat1shruthiravi

sshirley IF-Rockerz
sshirley
sshirley

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 10:38am | IP Logged
Interesting post..

Even I have heard/read about Steve Jobs' life.. the same thing confuses me too..

Because I have been in the US for sometime, maybe..i mean its quite possible that 'spirituality' as a concept is understood differently by Americans..

I may be wrong but its quite possible since their understanding on values/principles/character is v different being a cold culture probably. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sumedha93

Justlikethat1 IF-Sizzlerz
Justlikethat1
Justlikethat1

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 11:00am | IP Logged
I do not know about how Steve Jobs was.. so not really qualified about writing on the way he behaved.
However,  an enlightened soul in Hinduism transcends the normal emotions. They attain great control over their senses, having their thoughts concentrated on Brahman. To them everything else withers away and their mind only thinks of brahman.. always, transcending the Maya. 

Also Being aloof is different from being cruel. One of the reasons that an enlightened soul remains aloof is because they realize that attachments lead only to more births and the continuation of the birth-death cycle by our actions and karma.

There is a story of king Bharatha (not Shantanu s son), who was an enlightened being. He renounces the world after crowning his son as king and goes to the story to concentrate on Brahman. At one point he feels sorry for a deer cub who he finds trembling with fear near his ashram. He takes care of it and at one point becomes so attached to it that his actions lead to him being born as a deer in his next birth. Fortunately, due to his enlightenment prior, he retains his memory of his previous birth and realizes what happened. In the next birth as a man, he pretends to be deaf, dumb and senile while always thinking of brahman. That is remaining aloof.

No one spiritually inclined would want to be cruel to another livin creature. Most of our scriptures talk of kindness, charity and goodwill to others. That is why even our daily rituals embibe these.. see how we imbibe watering plants, feeding ants, crows, less fortunate humans before having food ourselves. That is why temples have rituals to make Prasadam to be shared to all. 
Spirituality teaches kindness but it also teaches us to be calm and composed when faced with extremes.

Edited by Justlikethat1 - 17 April 2016 at 1:38am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sumedha93Ankita.11

sumedha93 Senior Member
sumedha93
sumedha93

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sshirley

Interesting post..

Even I have heard/read about Steve Jobs' life.. the same thing confuses me too..

Because I have been in the US for sometime, maybe..i mean its quite possible that 'spirituality' as a concept is understood differently by Americans..

I may be wrong but its quite possible since their understanding on values/principles/character is v different being a cold culture probably. 

That is exactly what I thought earlier, may be the concept of spirituality is understood by Americans differently but shouldn't spirituality be free from all these cultural and religious differences? 
hrithikluvr Senior Member
hrithikluvr
hrithikluvr

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 9:08pm | IP Logged
In my opinion, spirituality in America does have a different meaning all together as mentioned above. Spirituality should definitely work to make a person a better human but it's also important to remember that all humans have some degree of bad qualities whether that may be jealousy, greed, anger, etc. it's possible that even though Steve believed in "spirituality" he still hadn't fought the battle with the interior enemies (bad qualities). Now let's say we were to bring God into this situation, which is not necessary but I'm just saying. If we believe that the same God that created me also created you, then I slowly begin to develop respect for others. If I believe that God resides in all individuals, then I'm fighting my inner enemies. I begin to treat others with respect. But back to spirituality, it should be a practice, not just an abstract idea that one believes in. It should make you calm, respectful, understanding and compassionate. However, If it's not implemented into a person's everyday life, then they will remain like they are. Steve Jobs was enlightened because he had the idea of spirituality in his life but maybe the practice of spirituality is all together a different matter. Just my thoughts :)

sumedha93

sumedha93 Senior Member
sumedha93
sumedha93

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 12:36am | IP Logged
May be. And that is what I want to know shouldn't spirituality be above there cultural differences?
sumedha93 Senior Member
sumedha93
sumedha93

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 7:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Justlikethat1

I do not know about how Steve Jobs was.. so not really qualified about writing on the way he behaved.
However,  an enlightened soul in Hinduism transcends the normal emotions. They attain great control over their senses, having their thoughts concentrated on Brahman. To them everything else withers away and their mind only thinks of brahman.. always, transcending the Maya. 

Also Being aloof is different from being cruel. One of the reasons that an enlightened soul remains aloof is because they realize that attachments lead only to more births and the continuation of the birth-death cycle by our actions and karma.

There is a story of king Bharatha (not Shantanu s son), who was an enlightened being. He renounces the world after crowning his son as king and goes to the story to concentrate on Brahman. At one point he feels sorry for a deer cub who he finds trembling with fear near his ashram. He takes care of it and at one point becomes so attached to it that his actions lead to him being born as a deer in his next birth. Fortunately, due to his enlightenment prior, he retains his memory of his previous birth and realizes what happened. In the next birth as a man, he pretends to be deaf, dumb and senile while always thinking of brahman. That is remaining aloof.

No one spiritually inclined would want to be cruel to another livin creature. Most of our scriptures talk of kindness, charity and goodwill to others. That is why even our daily rituals embibe these.. see how we imbibe watering plants, feeding ants, crows, less fortunate humans before having food ourselves. That is why temples have rituals to make Prasadam to be shared to all. 
Spirituality teaches kindness but it also teaches us to be calm and composed when faced with extremes.

Well explained, and this is what exactly I knew of spirituality. 
Yes there is a difference between being aloof and being cruel. That being said Jobs exhibited emotions of extreme ends and so far I know it is not what someone spirituality enlightened do.

As few people commented here the difference may be because spirituality as views in west can be completely different than as viewed in east. 

Justlikethat1

Ankita.11 Senior Member
Ankita.11
Ankita.11

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 8:36am | IP Logged
I am neither an enlightened soul nor have I read Job's biography or watched the film,so won't go much into depth...
But all I know about him is that he came to India when he was going through a low phase in his career and later suggested Zuckerberg as well.Both found success in their career after their visit.(correct me if i'm wrong)
The question is,'was he really an enlightened soul??'Whenever I think of a spiritually enlightened person,images of Buddha,Mahavira,Vivekananda come to my mind.Enlightment is the last phase...it's the state of bliss and that requires years and years of penance...
Maybe he was spiritually aware,he had the knowledge and that's why as you say he remained aloof,he practised the concept of detachment,he stayed in a smaller house,had great concentration leading to his phenomenal success.
You mentioned that he was cruel,I think it's relative...for someone he might be cruel to others he might not...
And you mentioned that emotional stability is the ingredient of spirituality..I be to differ from u,I feel it's the end result,the final product of spirituality.

shruthiravi

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index