India-Forums

Ek Duje Ke Vaaste
Ek Duje Ke Vaaste

I'm going to cry (of happiness).

MrsOmkaraOberoi IF-Rockerz
MrsOmkaraOberoi
MrsOmkaraOberoi

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 2:06pm | IP Logged
So I normally don't make episode discussion posts because I'm not the most gifted at articulating myself, but goddamn today's episode was all kinds of amazing, I kind of just had to address some of the points on my mind.

1. I loved way he handled her in the car, she was so tense, and I'm sure somewhere he was too, but he kept the atmosphere balanced, because if he started freaking out she'd have no one to lean on Heart. I think that's where Shravan's calm & composed demeanor comes from, his whole life (his friendship with Sumo, his turbulent household growing up) he's been one to observe, to take it all in, but never let it show. Because (as he learnt from that public humiliation) it never got him anywhere. Though I do like that they hinted at him occasionally sharing his woes with younger Suman, but like I said, we all know how that turned out in the end. But basically I like the way he carried himself, and Sumo, in this episode.

2. I love how I can't completely want to bitch-slap mami or the Tiwari family, because they aren't evil plotting vamps who are trying to poison Nana-ji or some shit, while I personally don't agree with what they're doing, I can't deny that they do have a point. And I love that the writers gave Mami that monologue, to show that she's not just your typical antagonist, she too has a character. Albeit selfish, and wanting to only look out for her own kids, a character nonetheless--one that is realistic. It kind of leaves viewers in an emotionally confused state. And I LOVE how it's not practicality vs idealism (Mami's views vs. Suman's) it's practicality vs emotional attachment, thus still maintaining realism throughout this whole situation. Like damn these writers though, Clap. Just when I think I can't respect them any more than I already do.

3. The obvious, but the obvious for a very valid reason. The ShraMan scene at the end. Literally, how does this show turn a doesn't-cry-for-Kal-Ho-Na-Ho Kriti into a weeping sack of emotions WITH ALMOST EVERY SCENE OF THEIRS. I'll tell you how, because none of their scenes are ever faltu. How they manage to wire up each scene with so much emotion & meaning, I'll never know. Like just them both being together in a scene is enough for me to feel their connect. The way Shravan was watching Suman in the scene with Mami, the scene with Nanu, and then finally at the end, the way she looked like she had the life sucked out of her...and the way he couldn't take it. He couldn't watch his "Sumo!" like that, aur akhir nikal hi gaya mooh se, "Sumo! Tumhe mujhe pe bharosa hai na?"

"Main tumhe haar ne nahi dunga."

Every character has their own reasons, everyone is justified in their own rights. And the confused puddle emotions that you as a viewer turn into, is just the result of really good writing & such earnest performances.

Performers of the episode for me today were: Namik, Nikita, and Geeta Tyagi (Maami ji). 

->Namik, because like I've said before, Shravan is not an easy character to get across, he is not completely "angelic" nor is he "menacingly evil." He is human, and like the rest of us he has multiple facets to his personality, all of which compliment each other. A character who at the end of the day is just trying to do the right thing amidst the ongoing battle between his brain & his heart. And Namik brings out that "uljhan" of Shravan's so beautifully on screen, I swear Shravan would not be the character love so much today without Namik's skillful depiction of him. And I'm not just saying this because I'm his fan, I've genuinely felt this from day 1, when I first started watching the show & watched the way he shut his i-Pad in frustration, conflicted between his hurt yet his still-very-much-there feelings for Sumo. 

And today, the way he way he depicted Shravan's frustration over seeing Suman so hurt, giving up on his "Suman" facade, the helplessness with which he tried to snap her out of it finally giving in and calling her "Sumo"--he deserved a special mention.

->Nikita, because as she has consistently proved, she has such a wide range and manages to portray the each facet so convincingly! Today, Suman needed to look like she had the life sucked out of her, like she was broken & defeated, and boy did she deliver! There was not a single false note, not a single moment where I felt like she was "acting."

-Geeta ji, man the casting for Maami (and all the individual supporting cast to be honest) was so spot on! She plays the grudgy, always felt wronged, selfish & greedy but not downright evil maami ji to the freakin T. Without any OTT loud dramatic acting, she portrays Manju with such honesty, that we love to hate her! 

In fact all of the central antagonists in this show really are just so well etched and realistic, it just adds to the experience. None of them trying to plot/murder/poison/destroy the lives of the central protagonists (nor are trying to turn them into an ichadaari-[insert literally any animal here at this point here]) as Indian TV is so infamously known for. They are all just selfish & are looking out for themselves--and we all are a bit selfish to a degree and these guys (Maami, Kamini Chachi) are more than others, which separates them from the normalcy we find in the rest of the characters, thus deeming them to be our antagonists.

*breathes out*

I guess I just want to end this with a GIANT thank you to everyone involved with the sheer brilliance Ek Duje Ke Vaaste. 

Yes I'm going to make this analogy, no need to be embarassed--DDLJ is a classic on celluloid, but not because it was pathbreaking in the concept, it took a relatively simple concept and just executed it in a way that floored everyone (Foreign-return guy is not a sleaze? NRI girls can be #sanskaari? Wait what--they AREN'T running away?), and it's a classic because of how viewers were able to relate to the basic emotions that the movie was depicting (the father-daughter bond, the immigrant & identity conflict, falling in love and accepting that a significant portion of that person's heart also belongs to their family, etc.).

In a very similar way, the concept of EDKV is not something we've never seen before. But the honesty with which it chooses to tell this story, the very human emotions it highlights, the realism in its characters, and its genuine & believable love-story all set it apart from others, leaving us all floored. With each episode, we're all convinced that it cannot possibly get better than this...and then we watch the next episode & we're left stunned all over again. Shravan's heartbreak yet his inability to just completely shut out Suman from his life, his mom (that we're yet to learn more about), Suman, her parents & the side of her we saw at her old house, their friendship, our badass yet adorable Nana-ji, our favorites Pushkar & Daboo, the harmless Vandy Bhabhi, the Tiwaris & the Malhotras in general...everything about this show has left a huge mark on all of us.

So I guess all I'm trying to say here is THANK YOU Team Ek Duje Ke Vaaste, for giving us this beautiful show and for having the courage to be different. Among the crowd of many that have come, and many that have yet to come, EDKV has stood out. 

Thank you for finally giving us an Indian TV show, that is worth our time, emotional investment, and attachment.

-Kriti

Edited by .SankaDevi. - 15 April 2016 at 5:00pm

The following 43 member(s) liked the above post:

gaya_subTina.H.roshan110Priyafan7CashiviGallantnxaaShinchanfanskamaniYoga4lifesupriadancedanceRR.Jas.faii44DocDpotterginnyniara12Simran114rcozaPlainJane-AnnieQueen-GlimmerAngels11shivamalaindraniguptaNandini6pubanith125IshqbaazTeriKhamoshiyan._Pari_._NiShI_EchoesofpassionArieltabi...-Riya-...KostinsQueenLIKEDMGBinKuchKahe.SahSahorion23Ri21Manan_fab5_ky2ShaitaanKiKhala

Shinchanfan Groupbie
Shinchanfan
Shinchanfan

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 2:25pm | IP Logged
today's episode was a average one.infact the episodes from court drama were not up to the mark.The excitement i used to have in first 2 weeks to catch up EDKV show daily is slowly declining with each passing episode.Confusedi dont know why but these days im not finding this serial intriguing.Actors are doing great job but still the writing needs to improve a lot

Edited by Shinchanfan - 15 April 2016 at 3:02pm
PlainJane Goldie
PlainJane
PlainJane

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 2:28pm | IP Logged
Amazing post, Kriti. SmileYou put across your points and views so brilliantly and you say you are not good at articulating yourself. You must be joking. This post is wonderful. As are all your posts.Big smile

I agree with you on all counts. Mami does have a point, but like you, I too personally don't hold with it. Especially because Mami is sanctimonious and an absolute hypocrite. She implies that she has been wrongly treated by Nanu, but what about her wrong treatment towards Sumo? I empathize with her point of view, but she is still selfish and greedy. Besides, why is she is demanding? The house rightfully belongs to Nanu, not her.Angry

The ShraMan scene towards the end was so beautiful.Heart I was on the verge of tears. Sumo broken and Shravan pretty helpless. And I love how Shravan consoles her.

The thing about EDKV and ShraMan is that it makes you overwhelmed with emotions. And all you want to do is express your views and sentiments. I always think I will write short replies, but eventually I always write more because...SO MANY EMOTIONS.Day Dreaming

Love your post. Heart

Edited by PlainJane - 15 April 2016 at 2:29pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

potterginnyindraniguptaMrsOmkaraOberoi

MrsOmkaraOberoi IF-Rockerz
MrsOmkaraOberoi
MrsOmkaraOberoi

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 4:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Shinchanfan

today's episode was a average one.infact the episodes from court drama were not up to the mark.The excitement i used to have in first 2 weeks to catch up EDKV show daily is slowly declining with each passing episode.Confusedi dont know why but these days im not finding this serial intriguing.Actors are doing great job but still the writing needs to improve a lot

I mean I guess you'll just have to speak for yourself there LOLConfused, I for one really liked it so yeah, that's where I stand on that matter. 

As far as the courtroom drama goes, if you look at it in terms of just drama, I think it had just the right amount. This is because the writers already had to compromise with some of the factual detailing (albeit this isn't a legal drama so it's not that important to worry about but still significant enough that people had qualms about it) to amp up the drama quotient (ie. so we could have multiple hearings, Shravan could give that monologue-plea-type thing for extra time, ect.). If they were to carry out a full fledged typical Hindi-serial/Bollywood styled courtroom scene, it would look waaay too OTT & ridiculous.

So better underplayed than over.

And about your excitement/qualms with the writing, again I can't really relate with you because I'm just loving it! The way they're simmering ShraMan's relationship, bringing forward the flavors of their friendship & the way they support each other, the unique nature of their equation---through moments like these which do SO MUCH more for the story & their relationship than "look-look-hawa-hawa" staring contests and daily "trip-fall-catch" sequences. It leaves us with a sense of wonder, and a few thoughts to take home with every night.

Just my two cents, you're very welcome to your opinion, this was just mine! :)

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

CashivinxaarcozaPlainJaneindraniguptaEchoesofpassionorion23

indranigupta IF-Dazzler
indranigupta
indranigupta

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 6:54pm | IP Logged
Kriti, you are right on several counts about everyone's acting as being realistic and not OTP. But, for me Mami's character is way too selfish.. she simply spoke about herself what about Nanu and Suman. Since Suman is an orphan so she simply walked over her feelings and desires. AngryWhat did she mean that her emotions, desires have been neglected to the core? Since the time the serial began only one thing stood out... that she and Maasi are free-loaders and from whom from Sumo.AngryShocked Damn!! I didnt feel for her one bit. Her angsty thing was all about her narrow world. Never did she once think that where will Sumo go or Nanu who might have spend his fortune in building that house.
Mami is not a reliable character for me. And now if Shravan pays 6 crores she will be in the foulest of tempers as she will come to the conclusion (correct one at that LOL) that it is for Sumo our sexy lawyer paid so much amount
I thought Namik was not as good in yesterday's episode. Primarily because, he was an outsider to their family drama. He was best when Sumo was clutching him and asking Mami to at least rely on him and of course, the last scene when he said to Sumo that he will not let her be defeated.Hug That scene was mindblowing. 
Nikita was good particularly in the last scene. Mami's acting was good as the shifty, weak and selfish woman with narrow concerns. You might find such characters in many household. 
Highlight for me yesterday was NanuClap Super performance as a frail man whose last hope was oozed out.
@Shinchin, I am not sure what you meant by the writing of this show has gone down. There might have been few bloopers in the courtroom scene but to claim that you do not relate to it any longer is your own feelings. This is the best show in a long, long time. Clap
Have you even watched this week's episode? 
They were mindblowing whether in Sumo and Shravan caught in the time warp chase, or Sumo reminiscing about her parents or Shravan making peace with the fallout that happened between him and Sumo those ten years back. And of course, Shravan was looking like a dream when he was giving a piece of his mind to that creep Verma, his interactions with Sumo or his family. HeartSumo, of course was at her effervescent best. An absolutely natural whose love for Shravan  manifest in so many small gestures and eccentricities.Hug
And btw, in every episode you simply cannot have only episodes showing some lovey-dovey scenes between the leads. That is way too stupid.. 
So I request you to go and watch back this week's episodes in continuity and go with the flow. You will again fall in love with this show if you already aren't.
Kriti, you do write well.Wink so ya, keep on writing. 
Sorry for the long post.

Edited by indranigupta - 15 April 2016 at 6:59pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

CashivircozaPlainJane

Ishqbaaz IF-Dazzler
Ishqbaaz
Ishqbaaz

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 9:28pm | IP Logged
Wow... awesome post... really loved to read ur take on the episode. This was again an amazing post by u... keep it up and pl kjeep posting  Smile
Echoesofpassion IF-Rockerz
Echoesofpassion
Echoesofpassion

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 9:58pm | IP Logged
You said it allClapHug
Echoesofpassion IF-Rockerz
Echoesofpassion
Echoesofpassion

Posted: 15 April 2016 at 10:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .SankaDevi.

Originally posted by Shinchanfan

I mean I guess you'll just have to speak for yourself there LOLConfused, I for one really liked it so yeah, that's where I stand on that matter. 

As far as the courtroom drama goes, if you look at it in terms of just drama, I think it had just the right amount. This is because the writers already had to compromise with some of the factual detailing (albeit this isn't a legal drama so it's not that important to worry about but still significant enough that people had qualms about it) to amp up the drama quotient (ie. so we could have multiple hearings, Shravan could give that monologue-plea-type thing for extra time, ect.). If they were to carry out a full fledged typical Hindi-serial/Bollywood styled courtroom scene, it would look waaay too OTT & ridiculous.

So better underplayed than over.

And about your excitement/qualms with the writing, again I can't really relate with you because I'm just loving it! The way they're simmering ShraMan's relationship, bringing forward the flavors of their friendship & the way they support each other, the unique nature of their equation---through moments like these which do SO MUCH more for the story & their relationship than "look-look-hawa-hawa" staring contests and daily "trip-fall-catch" sequences. It leaves us with a sense of wonder, and a few thoughts to take home with every night.

Just my two cents, you're very welcome to your opinion, this was just mine! :)

Completely agree with you Kriti! I love how they are so different and they don't have those random trip fall scenes and faltu stares like all other shows just to fill time! I love how real this show is and how beautifully they depict every nuance of their relationship. I for one thought today's Shraman scene was one of the best ones. The way these two have bonded so effortlessly yet so beautifully goes to show how incredible the writing is. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MrsOmkaraOberoi

Go to top