Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

||FAN Reviews & BOX OFFICE Update|| #2 (Page 141)

briahna IF-Sizzlerz
briahna
briahna

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 6:22pm | IP Logged
Filmare Review
4/5

Fan is Shah Rukh Khan's best effort since Chak De! India. It's definitely not as good a film as the hockey based drama, but it is a solid thriller. It's a unique concept, it's been executed by some masterful CGI and SRK has dug deep into his reserves to give a stellar double-role performance. Watching Fan is a thrilling experience. The movie surprises you with its narrative control. It tells its story with a punch. With an engrossing combination of slick action and intense situations Fan keeps you on the edge of your seat. It stays away from the usual over-the-top facade that has plagued superstar vehicles for so long.

The story deals with an obsessive fan, Gaurav (SRK) and his bizarre aggression towards his icon, Bollywood star Aryan Khanna (also SRK). Yes this film borrows a plot idea from Robert De Niro's The Fan (1996). But the similarities are merely superficial. At its core, Fan is a thrilling encounter where a fan looking for acknowledgement from his inspiration, goes a little too far. The star resists the fan's overtures because they have unwarranted aggression. The fan almost becomes psychotic in his attempt to please his hero. Obviously the hero doesn't approve and that leads to the star and the fan fighting it out. It's a veritable clash of the egos. And it makes for some serious thrill.

Fan is unmistakably masala cinema. You have twists, chases, fights and full on dialogue baazi. But even when it employs formula, it stays away from filmmaking clichs. This is a solid screenplay by Habib Faisal. And director Maneesh Sharma adds a nice contemporary punch to the proceedings. He caters to the action genre but not at the expense of his story. So while two Shah Rukh Khan's are running around in Parkour inspired stunts, the moral dilemma of their actions and motives is clearly established throughout. The fan is just obsessed while the star is out on an ego trip. They could've settled the matter with civility, but they take it to theatrical levels because both don't know when to quit. That prevalent sense of logic makes Fan an intelligent film. It entertains you, but it also shows you the actual dark side of glamour and its obsession. There's even a monologue on the frivolous nature of being a star fan. Thankfully none of it is preachy.

What makes Fan even more unique is the technology employed to bring two SRKs face to face. Gaurav the maniacal fan is created entirely using 3D face mapping. So SRK's face, replete with his entire range of expressions, is created digitally and put on another person to create a whole new character. It doesn't matter that sometimes Gaurav's face looks a bit too plastic and that he eats like a fish. Minor gripes aside, this tech really makes double role scenarios look fantastic. SRK's voice modulation for Gaurav, with the Delhi twang is superb as well. In his lunatic avatar, SRK brings in memories of Darr and Anjaam. And then you have his technologically less-advanced portrayal of Aryan Khanna the star. The restraint and the intensity SRK exhibits as a righteous but power-crazed celebrity is phenomenal. His portrayal of Aryan brings reflect upon SRK's actual stardom. This is easily one of his career's best efforts.

SRK is on top of his game and so is director Maneesh Sharma. Some of his decisions are real aces. The no song-and-dance approach really adds to the film's experience. The background score as well as the cinematography add to the director's vision. Even though the film is two and a half hours in length, it feels breezy. This is definitely a taut film. It takes a fresh concept and adds the right amount of zing to it. You could argue with the formulaic approach, but the usual thrills and spills don't rob the story of its impact. Both the star and the fan have their grey shades. And that's what makes Fan a smart film

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

--love--anitaraniNestleToulousepallavi25AS-Rifiglace-bleue-DZ-

--love-- Senior Member
--love--
--love--

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 6:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by briahna

Originally posted by --love--

Just finished fan. It's not a movie, but an experience as someone said here. 
I don't know what to say. Shahrukh was perfect as Gaurav and Aryan. It was pleasure to see him onscreen. 
The movie has its flaws but it ended with a great message. I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone. So, won't say much. But I loved the ending. I cried watching the last scene,actually not just me, I heard people sobbing. So, you can imagine how powerful last scene was. The fact I was rooting for Gaurav even after seeing how wrong he was, you can guess how strong Shahrukh connected with me as Gaurav. I just want to say thank you Shahrukh, for taking this risk. It was really brave of you to do such movie, but you did. And I love you for that. 

i was crying too in the end...but then almost everyone was crying in the theater, so not embarrassing.LOL
i am gonna go again...on tuesday its discount day here, gonna abuse it big time.

It was just too emotional. I didn't want him to end up like this, but I think maybe it was the only way. That just makes me more sad. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

AS-Rifiglace-bleue-DZ-

awkardpyscho Senior Member
awkardpyscho
awkardpyscho

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 6:40pm | IP Logged
After analyzing some public reviews people were pissed off and angry because *spoiler ahead* Aryan didnt apologize to Gaurav. For everyone Gaurav was the hero they wanted to hear 'sorry' from Aryan for misbehaving with his fan but this not happening irked them. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-DZ-

glace-bleue IF-Addictz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 7:32pm | IP Logged
Watching FAN in 2 hours...finally...Party

anitaraniAS-Rifi-DZ-

glace-bleue IF-Addictz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 7:52pm | IP Logged

When the #FAN does a better job than his icon, you know its a feat few actors can boast of. Take a bow Khan, hum fan ho gaye :) @iamsrk

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

anitaranipallavi25AS-Rifi-DZ-

glace-bleue IF-Addictz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 7:53pm | IP Logged

How B- town reacted to Shahrukh Khan's "Fan"

http://www.indiatrendingnow.com/entertainment/b-town-reacted-shahrukh-khans-fan-0416/

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

anitaraniNestleToulouseAS-Rifi-DZ-

glace-bleue IF-Addictz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 7:54pm | IP Logged

#FAN is an in and out @iamsrk film. Brilliant performance and something only he could do. Rife with meta references, cleverly done.

Probably amongst @iamsrk best performances. #FAN

anitaraniAS-Rifi-DZ-

AS-Rifi IF-Stunnerz
AS-Rifi
AS-Rifi

Special Effects Supervisor

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 7:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by yamyam

Why is everone referring to SRK as bhai? Wasn't bhai for Salman?LOL
Raees Bhai se start huyaLOL
But i'll never ever call him bhai! He is my janeman EmbarrassedLOL