Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

||FAN Reviews & BOX OFFICE Update|| #2 (Page 101)

-DZ- IF-Achieverz
-DZ-
-DZ-

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:06am | IP Logged

Movie Review: Fan

Written By
Rachit Gupta
Written By Rachit Gupta
Features Editor
Posted Fri, Apr 15, 2016
Rate Story
Rated
Rate
Share This Story

Movie Review: Fan

Fan is Shah Rukh Khan's best effort since Chak De! India. It's definitely not as good a film as the hockey based drama, but it is a solid thriller. It's a unique concept, it's been executed by some masterful CGI and SRK has dug deep into his reserves to give a stellar double-role performance. Watching Fan is a thrilling experience. The movie surprises you with its narrative control. It tells its story with a punch. With an engrossing combination of slick action and intense situations Fan keeps you on the edge of your seat. It stays away from the usual over-the-top facade that has plagued superstar vehicles for so long.

The story deals with an obsessive fan, Gaurav (SRK) and his bizarre aggression towards his icon, Bollywood star Aryan Khanna (also SRK). Yes this film borrows a plot idea from Robert De Niro's The Fan (1996). But the similarities are merely superficial. At its core, Fan is a thrilling encounter where a fan looking for acknowledgement from his inspiration, goes a little too far. The star resists the fan's overtures because they have unwarranted aggression. The fan almost becomes psychotic in his attempt to please his hero. Obviously the hero doesn't approve and that leads to the star and the fan fighting it out. It's a veritable clash of the egos. And it makes for some serious thrill.

Fan is unmistakably masala cinema. You have twists, chases, fights and full on dialogue baazi. But even when it employs formula, it stays away from filmmaking clichs. This is a solid screenplay by Habib Faisal. And director Maneesh Sharma adds a nice contemporary punch to the proceedings. He caters to the action genre but not at the expense of his story. So while two Shah Rukh Khan's are running around in Parkour inspired stunts, the moral dilemma of their actions and motives is clearly established throughout. The fan is just obsessed while the star is out on an ego trip. They could've settled the matter with civility, but they take it to theatrical levels because both don't know when to quit. That prevalent sense of logic makes Fan an intelligent film. It entertains you, but it also shows you the actual dark side of glamour and its obsession. There's even a monologue on the frivolous nature of being a star fan. Thankfully none of it is preachy.

What makes Fan even more unique is the technology employed to bring two SRKs face to face. Gaurav the maniacal fan is created entirely using 3D face mapping. So SRK's face, replete with his entire range of expressions, is created digitally and put on another person to create a whole new character. It doesn't matter that sometimes Gaurav's face looks a bit too plastic and that he eats like a fish. Minor gripes aside, this tech really makes double role scenarios look fantastic. SRK's voice modulation for Gaurav, with the Delhi twang is superb as well. In his lunatic avatar, SRK brings in memories of Darr and Anjaam. And then you have his technologically less-advanced portrayal of Aryan Khanna the star. The restraint and the intensity SRK exhibits as a righteous but power-crazed celebrity is phenomenal. His portrayal of Aryan brings reflect upon SRK's actual stardom. This is easily one of his career's best efforts.

SRK is on top of his game and so is director Maneesh Sharma. Some of his decisions are real aces. The no song-and-dance approach really adds to the film's experience. The background score as well as the cinematography add to the director's vision. Even though the film is two and a half hours in length, it feels breezy. This is definitely a taut film. It takes a fresh concept and adds the right amount of zing to it. You could argue with the formulaic approach, but the usual thrills and spills don't rob the story of its impact. Both the star and the fan have their grey shades. And that's what makes Fan a smart film.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

AS-Rifi

-DZ- IF-Achieverz
-DZ-
-DZ-

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:11am | IP Logged
Mandvi Sharma @MandviSharma 6m6 minutes ago

Media Reviews: Mail Today, Mumbai Mirror, Bengaluru Express & The Telegraph @FanTheFilm @iamsrkclub

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

AS-RifiTheRager

TheRager IF-Addictz
TheRager
TheRager

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kabeeraspeaking

Originally posted by .Hajmola.

Another thing I wanted to say is how some (in)famous SRK bashers on this forum are coming up with reviews either their own or from their friends or family and the common refrain is how they feel sad for SRK fans because he mocked his fans. My dear if you actually thought SRK mocked his fans or for the matter the fictional fan in the film you certainly havent seen or understood the film even at a superficial level. Its funny to see the insecurity of people belonging to certain rival fan groups that you have to go this this extent to take digs at a rival fangroup despite being fans of stars who are apparently doing better atm. 

The really messed up, scary and twisted part is that if you take insult or feel mocked by what Aryan says...you...are...a...Gaurav...

(because that's exactly what he does and why the whole movie and its events play out.)

If anything IMO SRK laid bare himself thru Aryan in the film. It was like an 'exposure' on how a star's mind works wrt himself, his stardom and fans. While it could be anyone incidents were taken from his life and his own persona mocked. Some said people would be angry that he did that to himself ie exposed himself as a selfish, not so perfect ageing superstar I think not. Fans of SRK or for the matter any superstar if they still have some sanity intact would see it as something brave rather than something insulting. Its funny how people blindly follow KRK's line of thought since he has the first mover advantage with his Dubai reviews as this was exactly what he said. 

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Madame_89drummedupMrsChandlerBingTheekThaakkabeeraspeakingqazplmAS-Rifi-DZ-

TheekThaak IF-Rockerz
TheekThaak
TheekThaak

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Hajmola.

Another thing I wanted to say is how some (in)famous SRK bashers on this forum are coming up with reviews either their own or from their friends or family and the common refrain is how they feel sad for SRK fans because he mocked his fans. My dear if you actually thought SRK mocked his fans or for the matter the fictional fan in the film you certainly havent seen or understood the film even at a superficial level. Its funny to see the insecurity of people belonging to certain rival fan groups that you have to go this this extent to take digs at a rival fangroup despite being fans of stars who are apparently doing better atm. 

ROFL

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

drummedupMrsChandlerBingAS-RifiTheRager-DZ-

TheekThaak IF-Rockerz
TheekThaak
TheekThaak

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by charminggenie

Originally posted by kabeeraspeaking

@bold: Yes! Right when the movie ended, my first thought was 'People aren't gonna like being shown the mirror.' All of us at some point have been invested in a fandom or part of the fandom culture and being SHOWN the extreme repercussions of that in movie, through the words mouthed by a superstar...it's a thinking moment. And not because everyone needs it or everyone is a Gaurav Chandana...the movie's message stays with you and makes you think of so many things...how much is enough, is any worth it, when you look up to people are you actually inspired to do something or do you just bask in their success and happiness as your own? SO meta on the relationship between many fans-fandoms/superstars/celebs! And I don't want to say it...but damn, I do wonder if the average person going to watch movies wants all THEIR vulnerabilities or psyche laid out like the superstar and fan have theirs laid out in the movie.

Also, it's very true that only SRK could have done this movie. The other Khans don't have the 'classic' mannerisms and visual legacy to make both parts believable...and that leaves only Amitabh, but he could not have done the 20 something year old's role.

There might be many who won't get the real thriller element of this movie. it's dark. It's not your usual whodunit or a Darr type template. it's essentially SRk in many ways having a conversation with his audience , probably why he wins over . Circumstances doesn't really matter, but he is discussing fans, himself (through Aryan) and this equation. 
Gaurav reminded me of that Sachin fan who attends his every match. He would travel everywhere, struggle to get visas , gave up on his family - cannot recall his name but that sort of reverence is very real.

Deffo , this movie is super meta. Like just few days back people were trolling Anusha for Virat, this sns generation and then these fan wars , such a honest take. It can be uncomfortable movie and probably doesn't become one as SRK really plays both roles so well and the end is just so open ended. This equation cannot be stated. 

Amitabh has the legacy but then again, I don't know if he is brave enough to play with his stardom the way SRK did. Shah literally put his superstardom on the table and lets viewers make an opinion of it. The Meta. Very Brave.

the real thrilling aspect is how SRk effs up our head. LOL

Ufff! Those words. Embarrassed

@drummedup : I swear..ever since I have come out of the theater..I so badly want a peek into SRK's life now. Mujhe naukri chahiye uske aas paas, atleast for a few days. ROFL

drummedupangrybreadcharminggenieAS-Rifi-DZ-

glace-bleue IF-Addictz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:14am | IP Logged

Some people drag you down by the strength of their sheer mediocrity

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

-MrsJonSnow-angrybreadAS-RifiTheRager-DZ-

glace-bleue IF-Addictz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:16am | IP Logged
OH God...my twitter timeline is like switzerland right now...jidhar dekho hariyali he hariyali...itni taareef SRK ki ...hayeDay Dreaming

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Sri-RAamnakideewanianitaraniangrybreadAS-Rifi-DZ-

kabeeraspeaking IF-Sizzlerz
kabeeraspeaking
kabeeraspeaking

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by drummedup

P.S: I have a feeling I'll like his Aryan more than Gaurav. If it is so titillating to close to the real star, I am quite curious to see SRK enact the irony of it .

I 'liked' Aryan more too (only because he is in the moral right, perhaps)...but there are moments of goodness and flaws in both characters...which is much needed because otherwise it would just be a hero vs. villain story and this was a more realistic 'what happens with humans' story. I read Hajmola saying that her theatre audience was cheering for Gaurav. And I think somewhere...I don't wanna be spoilery, but you are just wishing and hoping and pining for Gaurav to just take a moment, stop and see the reality of the situation (so there's that 'liking' and 'rooting' factor that maybe comes in.) But spoiler spoiler spoiler: The way they stuck to characterization since the moment go and didn't just show an instant redemption is commendable because that could have become extremely cliche and redundant. They showed him to be in a certain state of mind and that state of mind persists...Gaurav is a do-or-die, jabra fan till the end...you kinda wish for him to 'save' himself from himself...like that moment when Neha says to Aryan 'Woh accha banda hai.' Gaaah! You find yourself in a total bind. What should Aryan do? How should he get through to this dude? Should he spare him? He was only a loving 'fan' after all...

Originally posted by Kaapi

@Kabeeraspeaking : Completely agree about the how much is worth it part. All of us have vicariously lived through our idol's successes at some point We have and probably still continue to bask in reflected glory. Though thankfully enough most of us do realize our limits and have our own goals and aspirations that stop us from turning into Gaurav's..the basic premise still leaves you thinking for a while. While the same question is beautifully addressed by Gaurav's mother when she says that we only showed his glittery life and not his struggles and the hard work that goes behind achieving it. I thought that was such an interesting dynamic..it also shows how the people you look up to and cheer/root for can make you learn things that help you grow in life. Only if a fan like Gaurav focussed on what it took for Aryan to reach from Delite 205 to Mannat..things would have been drastically different. As a fan, it's upto us as to how we perceive our stars/idols and also to an extent it's a star's responsibility to spread the knowledge about their struggle and inspire the fans in a positive sense. . And for the sole reason, SRK is the apt person for this role. Nobody carries such an envious legacy as him. The man literally started from scratch, didn't quite adhere to the norms, paved his own way, made his own graph and touched millions of hearts. 

Yesss! The amazingness of that scene was in how his mom says that and the dad still doesn't realize it!!!!! WackoLOL The movie is a masterpiece if you really start thinking of just how 'meta' it is and how it balances the two sides of the coin...the people who'll be nodding along to the mom's words and internalizing them and those who will agree with the dad!

I loved the way the parents helped Gaurav put up the show in the beginning. Hilarious, kinda cracks a huge joke on the 'illusions' in cinema...and at the same time, you can't help but love their devotion to making their child happy. The movie is just as much a lesson in parenting as it is in other things if once again, one really begins to think about it...

Edited by kabeeraspeaking - 16 April 2016 at 8:24am

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

Madame_89drummedupMrsChandlerBingTheekThaakpieryroseangrybreadcharminggenieAS-RifiTheRager-DZ-

Go to top