||FAN Reviews & BOX OFFICE Update|| #2 - Page 57

Posted: 8 years ago
it's damn excellent opening for a movie like fan that was released without fanfare and promotion.
Trend after today will be more important
when it comes to srk even facts become excuses for haters. it's a fact that fan is an unconventional movie with no lead actress, was promoted way less than srk movie, non holiday, less screen count

Edited by divaz - 8 years ago
Originally posted by Mr.Afg

Fan has a recorded a good first day of around 20 crore nett as per early estimates. The film has done very well in North India beating the figures of Dilwale and Mumbai should also beat as Mumbai city and especially Pune had opened well in the morning. The figures in East India and Nizam are likely to come in below Dilwale and it could be quite a margin as there is a big single screen presence in these circuits .

The film has behaved best in the premium multiplexes that is why the big circuits are best but as Shahrukh Khan is there in the film the others areas have also managed to collect and for a film of this type the collections are good. It has also been helped by a partial holiday in places.

The film has done well on opening day but the key is what happens from here on as the film has notched up a 20 crore nett apprx figure which is very high for a film of this type so will it be able to sustain at these levels especially at mass centres.

Damn I was right lolll

wow this is great!
It's an excellent opening. Seriously guys, stop hating on every other star's movie who's not your favourite. The film industry cannot work with only one actor. Give everyone a chance and enjoy the good movies. 
I'm elated that FAN has opened well - means that people are giving it a chance. It's reassuring and will encourage other big stars to experiment more. It's about time the indian audience grows up and start enjoying different genres. 
on a side note srk is super sweet yaar. he has replied to each and every single industry person who tweeted about fan. on top of that he has been tweeting non stop saying thanks to all cities and countries. aewain nahi koi itna bada star banjata, srk has the right attitude. SRK IS KING!
Isko chad gai sale ko ...hater hai ek number ka yeh C ...
kal holiday tha due Ram navmi 18 cr is still a good number ...less promotion less screen 

KRK BOX OFFICE @KRKBoxOffice  

#Fan's Day1 business of Rajasthan circuit is only 72lakhs so All India business is approx 18Cr. Means #Fan is washout on day1 only.

Originally posted by Pridenprejudice

Why bring Ranveer in the picture? Coz he is the GTCs fav? 
How convenient.

Rules don't change but according to few srk fans 
He is global star who doesn't need an actress to get a hit. Go check some dilwale threads . 

Bending words according to your needs eh and then bring the person's fav in picture to strengthen a weak discussion real mature.
NVM Edited by Beautyful_Mess - 8 years ago
Some people said Gaurav outshine SRK to "downplay" SRK. Don't they know Gaurav is SRK? 🤢
Originally posted by always_a_TV_fan

My review (non-spoiler)

The only reviews I had read before watching the movie hinted that the first half was excellent while the second half was a downer. My feelings were exactly the opposite ... The first half, honestly, felt a lot like SRK was on some ego-trip, self-promoting, albeit in a subtle way. The plot and characterisation both felt very simple, straight-forward and devoid of any thrills. It felt like this movie might end up preaching a social message about social media and the relevance of it in the context of the fan & the star and showing us that Shahrukh can nail double roles!

Maybe, it was deliberate to set up the scene for the second half. The second half was more to my liking. It was complex, thrilling, sufficiently dark, and more importantly leading towards an end about which I was genuinely in two minds. I like stories where I don't know what ending would be more acceptable to me. It's because I feel really connected to the characters and the plot. So the climax was genuine and completely acceptable (even if it did become predictable at some point).

Characterisation:

Gaurav: Like I said before, the first half established him as a simpleton fan, genuinely in love with (and obsessed) with a star who, by some stroke of fate had a similar face. His obsession with the star, to the point of ignoring everything else in his life was in parts endearing, and worrying. It was completely balanced. The second half introduced us to the wronged fan. The fan who has been shown the ugly truth that his star mentions him (and millions of other fans) ONLY as a gimmick while facing the press. And the broken Gaurav, to me, was far more realistic and grounded than the fun one in the first half.

Aryan: Kudos to whoever decided not to portray Aryan as a selfless, genuinely nice and perfect man. Aryan's arrogance and pride is completely consistent throughout the movie, and he doesn't come across as someone God-like. He's just someone who has been made/called God-like. There's very little of Aryan's non-star life that we get to see. So we don't really know how he is as a person, but his attitude in the context of his stardom is very well-written.

Background music:

A lot of the montages and the scenes showing Aryan/Gaurav performing have a mix of Bollywood sounding music, which really helped. It gave a feeling of watching a Bollywood movie, even without the songs. There is a piece that plays in the last scene. To me, it was perfect! I cannot explain the scene without spoilers though, so I'll not!

Acting:

WOW. SRK the actor is back. SRK does make you ignore the flaws and the loopholes (and there are more than I would have liked). He makes you root for Gaurav, he makes you feel sorry for Gaurav, he makes you scared of Gaurav and at the end he makes you wonder if every fan has a Gaurav hidden in them? As Aryan he is arrogant, narcissistic, proud, angry, and absolutely unapologetic about what and who he is. Double roles rely on the ability of the actor to distinguish the 2 characters, and SRK has done that in a very excellent manner. Except for the parts when Gaurav imitates Aryan, you don't even see the resemblance between the two characters (in terms of personality).

which brings me the flaws ! Gaurav suddenly started looking more like Aryan in the second half, so much that I was wondering if he underwent plastic surgery ! Then, there is a specific scene where Aryan EFFORTLESSLY imitates Gaurav. That was too unreal for me. No matter how good an actor Aryan was, it's impossible for him to imitate Gaurav without any study/homework... He just didn't know Gaurav well enough. Also, as much as I loved the second half, it dragged a bit... Delhi - Mumbai - London - Dubrovnik - London again - Mumbai - Delhi - Mumbai... at some point I wasn't sure where they were.

The best dialogue IMO ... (this is a bit spoiler-ish though)... Gaurav asks Aryan's wife,  "when he(Aryan) fights with you, he apologises to make up, right? Then why can't he say sorry to me?" THAT ONE LINE defines Gaurav. He actually thought himself to be that close and intimate with his star as the star's wife was !!! 

Acting 5 stars... editing 3... direction 3.5... it's not just a one-time watch, but something you can keep coming back to once in a few years for a long time, and you don't even have to be a fan.

Excellent Review Gabbu.
The part where you mentioned Gaurav suddenly looking a lot like Aryan, it must have been just me cuz i cld tell them aprt even when Gaurav wasn't looking at camera.
I remember i wld tell my friend this is Gaurav not Aryan every time he posses like him.
I guess I have seen too many SRK movies to know him well enough.
I don't know they still didn't look exactly the same to me, I cld still see Gaurav.
So, i might be just in the minor. 
Just came back after watching the movie. So much to say. But will give detailed review later. For now, take a bow Mr. Khan. Like everyone else has already said, Shah was literally flawless, Gaurav was just something else.

But for me, Aryan Khanna was it. I am going to watch the movie again for him. A lot to say...but more on it later.

I can't choose which half I liked better. They were equally good for me. Did not expect that climax...and this coming from someone who is always vary of cliched sequences in his movies.

But keeping all that aside, I love you SRK. In a way that cannot be expressed. Just thank you.