sumedha93 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
I know not all versions of Ramayan talk about Nidra Devi transferring Lakshman's sleep to Urmila but few versions do talk about it. Many scholars believe that this transferring of Lakshman's sleep to Urmila kind of disparaged Urmila's sacrifice, if she was asleep for 14 years then she didn't really feel the pain of separation from her husband. However what I liked about today's episode was that it once again highlighted the importance of having a strong partner by your side. Urmila readily accepted Lakshman's sleep which helped Lakshman uphold his Dharma. On one hand this sleep transferring story diminishes intensity of Urmila's sacrifice yet it highlights the role she played in helping Lakshman. Because going by this story without Urmila taking his share of sleep Lakshman would never had conquered his mission. 

Everyone talks about Lakshman's devotion for Ram but forgets the role Urmila played. Wether or not Nidra Devi transferred Lakshman's sleep to Urmila can be argued but not Urmila's devotion to her husband and his Dharma. 
Edited by sumedha93 - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I would say urmila sacrifice was of the highest. Her pain was the most. 
Ankita.11 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Even I feel this nidra devi theory kind of diminishes her sacrifice...
But the point even the moment before she must have had his thoughts,thoughts of their separation,thoughts of how she could contribute to her sita didi and jijashri's welfare..
And we also everyone coming to of of the truth.everyone got to know their part of the story
Bhargavii thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I heard a story that even though urmila had slept for  14yrs she knew wat was happening in vanvaas, ravan kidnapping sita, ram and lakshman war with Ravan, she felt pain when sita was kidnapped, lakshman got injured with megnadh. May be everyone will think we may not feel the pain while we r in sleep but when we love someone to the core we can feel the pain when they r hurt or when tgeir life r in danger.
ChotaBheem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Original one is Balmiki Ramayan
All other versions are translation of it into other languages.
Per har version main kuch nayi nayi stories judte chale gaye. 
Per sabse jyada original Balmiki Ramayan hi mana jayega.
Edited by ChotaBheem - 8 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Urmila's sacrifice has been of highest order. To allow her husband to do swadharma she took separation from him for 14 years. She didn't think of how she will spend the 14 years in palace without him. And Nidra Urmila to me is the classic example of concentrate on action not on result. She gave the Lord his defense without cribbing, crying and he gave her peace of mind till the return of her husband. She slept. Proving once again if you do something whole heartedly Lord will reduce your pain
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Ramayan was written to show the importance of respecting dharm shown by elders. The sacrifices made all through the epic exceed one beyond the other. 
Each sacrifice makes us speechless when you think about the selfless devotion involved in it. 

Urmila,  with or without the Nidra transfer would remain an epitome of devotion and sacrifice. Her dedication to her husband,  her elders, her wait either sleeping or otherwise for 14 years expecting nothing in return.. words fail to explain her greatness.
dmg2c thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I do not think this diminishes her sacrifice at all. I think it makes it even more magnanimous. 
yes, there is pain in separation. but there   is a hope of reunion. but accepting sleep for 14 years, is like accepting death while still being alive. 

what greater sacrifice can there be than to do something for your beloved without even thinking twice about it. i think it is easier to feel pain than to give away   your living days and night to senselessness  knowingly like this. 

it is easier to be dead than to give up all sense knowingly  while still alive like this.